Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotrex powered EM2 BUILD, the final upgrades!

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Woot Woot -92 checking in. Good snag on the -91. As for your heat soak problem it's more then likely your water pump. I highly recommend you look into the water pump I'm currently putting on my setup. It's not rpm dependant do it can fully power the pump to cool your engine while idling. Davies Craig is the manufacturer it's ewp115. Aluminum version.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Cage plus radio member #1
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score
    Thanks Pete, I'm going to see if the filter relocation takes care of the issue first before I try that, but I'll keep it in mine for sure. I relocated the filter in the fall when temps drop significantly here in Canada so my heat soak issues weren't evident.

I have some sad news! So it turns out there was a mix up and the -91 I was going to buy was sold and now there is a brand new -81 left. I am devastated by this news, but question is what to do now?
    I already have an -81 but its in hurting condition. The drive pulley has a little play in it, but it isn't a snapped input shaft since it still makes boost. The oil is cavitating which makes me think the seal and bearings for the input shaft are toast since as described it was making a terrible grinding bearing noise before it came off the road.
    I was thinking about getting a new bearing and seal kit to try and rebuild it before I call it a write off even though rotrex says they can't be rebuilt. A bearing kit is only 200ish so to me it's worth a shot even if the rebuild doesn't last terribly long.

On the other hand I was offered if I take this -81 to be given a snow performance cool boost 3 water/meth controller. Essentially I could buy the stage 1 kit for 300ish and have the stage 3. This is tempting me but also not sure if if makes up for not being a 91.

What are your thoughts people? I paid just under $1500 after conversion and Paypal fees for the -91, and now that it isn't one I'm stumped. I only paid $1000 for my last -81 so I feel like its too much to get the same thing I already had. This new -81 is said to only have 2-5 hours of road testing after dyno tuning was complete, which I believe since the seller is an extremely trust worthy guy.
    So people's, what do I do? I am selling my drag cartel drop in cams for 750, so that plus this 1500 could put me within price range of a new -91. But that's also a lot of extra coin when the water meth for 300 will likely add 50whp, estimated to be the same power added by upgrading to the -91

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Feedback Score

More Canadian sadness! Plowed in and frozen solid, sometimes I realize I'm not responsible enough to have a baby..... Lol. Luckily the temps went up to +8 Celsius a few days this week and I shovelled it out and put it in the garage.

And on the more fun side for winter to help me get through the depression of storing my baby, I have this little Manual Quattro mistress. These are 19x9 with 235/35/19 winter tires. Because you gotta look boss in every season! I never looked forward to huge snow storms until I bought this.....

Feedback Score
    Two more for fun, because everybody loves pictures.

Audi after playing in a parking lot in 10 inches of powder = one cocaine dusted bitty (brutal photo but it was snowing really hard and I suck at pictures haha)

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The fact you got a blower for 1k amazes me. I Paid $2700 for mine and I got a discount on that even.

The -81 still makes great power. If they are that cheap I'd just buy another blower and then worry about fixing the other one and perhaps sell after its been rebuilt. I don't recommend rebuild yourself. I tore my old 81 apart and it was not pretty. There's things that need done that I didn't know about till after it was too late. Thankfully it was a trashed blower anyways.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow this is a great build, sad I didn't see it till now.

Feedback Score
    Thanks!
    Pete I agree 1500 isn't a bad deal on a new blower, just sucks its not the -91 I was hoping to upgrade to, knowing it was the most power I could make.

As far as the rebuild, look up MrJackHeath on Flickr, he has albums on albums of his rotrex rebuilds and modifications changing compressor wheels to flow a lot more air than they do from the box. He shows each step for disassembly and tips on reassembly. He was the one who convinced me to try since otherwise it's become $1000 paper weight. It hurts knowing it still works, just a matter of time until it implodes if I don't try rebuilding it lol.

I know the -81 was flowing 20psi out of the compressor outlet when I metered it, so assuming 2psi lose to the manifold means I sure should still be happy with 18psi on a stock k20a2 block. Assuming wit meth injection I should have no problem hitting 450whp with my 88mm blower pulley, a2 crank pulley, and 8000 rpm redline.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04carboncivic View Post

More Canadian sadness! Plowed in and frozen solid, sometimes I realize I'm not responsible enough to have a baby..... Lol. Luckily the temps went up to +8 Celsius a few days this week and I shovelled it out and put it in the garage.

And on the more fun side for winter to help me get through the depression of storing my baby, I have this little Manual Quattro mistress. These are 19x9 with 235/35/19 winter tires. Because you gotta look boss in every season! I never looked forward to huge snow storms until I bought this.....

B6 S4 is one V8 that I love. A good friend of mine is an Audi Whore (on his 9th Audi in 4 years) and of all of them, the b6 was my favorite. A good friend of mine owns Elite Motorsports and has a B5 S4 TT and an 04 Gallardo. Audi has always made beautiful setups!
    Two more for fun, because everybody loves pictures.

Audi after playing in a parking lot in 10 inches of powder = one cocaine dusted bitty (brutal photo but it was snowing really hard and I suck at pictures haha)

Glad to see you had fun, I like your taste!
    Quote Originally Posted by PetefromtheStreets View Post
    The fact you got a blower for 1k amazes me. I Paid $2700 for mine and I got a discount on that even.

The -81 still makes great power. If they are that cheap I'd just buy another blower and then worry about fixing the other one and perhaps sell after its been rebuilt. I don't recommend rebuild yourself. I tore my old 81 apart and it was not pretty. There's things that need done that I didn't know about till after it was too late. Thankfully it was a trashed blower anyways.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Someone's mad! Seriously, it's a great price.
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Wow this is a great build, sad I didn't see it till now.
    Great build right? Gotta love the rotrex builds.
    Thanks!
    Pete I agree 1500 isn't a bad deal on a new blower, just sucks its not the -91 I was hoping to upgrade to, knowing it was the most power I could make.

As far as the rebuild, look up MrJackHeath on Flickr, he has albums on albums of his rotrex rebuilds and modifications changing compressor wheels to flow a lot more air than they do from the box. He shows each step for disassembly and tips on reassembly. He was the one who convinced me to try since otherwise it's become $1000 paper weight. It hurts knowing it still works, just a matter of time until it implodes if I don't try rebuilding it lol.

I know the -81 was flowing 20psi out of the compressor outlet when I metered it, so assuming 2psi lose to the manifold means I sure should still be happy with 18psi on a stock k20a2 block. Assuming wit meth injection I should have no problem hitting 450whp with my 88mm blower pulley, a2 crank pulley, and 8000 rpm redline.

Sounds fun! 18psi is a good amount on a stock block. Are you running headstuds? [MENTION=83]vdubkilla[/MENTION] has a great method for headstud swapping! And [MENTION=56]PetefromtheStreets[/MENTION] should definitely look up MrJackHeath on Flickr. It would interest him!

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    I installed ARP head studs in my other stock engine one at a time .Just pull one oem bolt , Install one ARP stud torque to spec and repeat til all are replaced .It was suggested to me by a friend of mine who had used the method before and I must say it worked well that engine saw 30 psi many many times and never had any head lifting issues .
    Last edited by vdubkilla; 01-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Feedback Score
    Interesting, thanks for the info I'll definitely try that!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast