Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Wastegate Battle: 38mm vs 44mm vs 60mm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    Well I've actually been discussing running 2 three port solenoids to reduce the boost pressure and was pretty certain it was possible and thought a 4 port can do the same but I have yet to delve into this aspect of my build so I'm not certain yet .I am sure in the near future I'll have a good education on the exact workings of either (2) 3 ports or one 4 port but I hope it can be done .What you say does make sense though I guess I'll just have to do a little more research on it .I will say this I've def made over 30 psi with a 3 port and a 7 lb spring in the gates
    I agree with Almk, i am not certain where you read that you can reduce spring pressure but i also do not believe it is possible. Essentially you can't run a boost pressure lower than the spring pressure. A boost controller is only used to increase the total boost you want to run but adding pressure to the top of the WG. Would be beneficial if there was a way to reduce it but with the range a 4 port can operate in, just running a lower psi spring is also a reasonable option.

I think a 44mm wg is perfect for almost every application on this site. some people run twin scrolls and 2 44's might even be overkill but when it comes to preventing creep overkill is best lol. A 60mm wg unless your running some 800hp monster is unnecessary.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snizzletoff View Post
    I agree with Almk, i am not certain where you read that you can reduce spring pressure but i also do not believe it is possible. Essentially you can't run a boost pressure lower than the spring pressure. A boost controller is only used to increase the total boost you want to run but adding pressure to the top of the WG. Would be beneficial if there was a way to reduce it but with the range a 4 port can operate in, just running a lower psi spring is also a reasonable option.

I think a 44mm wg is perfect for almost every application on this site. some people run twin scrolls and 2 44's might even be overkill but when it comes to preventing creep overkill is best lol. A 60mm wg unless your running some 800hp monster is unnecessary.
    I didn't read it anywhere apparently I was given the wrong info or misunderstood the guy that I was discussing it with last week at Cecil .As I said this is my first time exploring with 3 and 4 ports but you can bet when I'm done I'll know it well and have it perfected .I'll be making the change to reduce the amount of boost I can run if it means changing my wg springs then that's what I'm gonna do as I'd like to lower it to a few lbs in first and second on the street so I don't have to back pedal so much .I do indeed love the twin 44 mvrs they control boost so good up top it holds rock steady and you know I'm always one for overkill lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ_Type-S View Post
    Loved reading this. I never even thought about the angle of my WG. Great info! I'm still pretty noob to turbo technicalities, so this will surely be a facepalm question, but....what do the spring ratings mean? Saybi have a 38mm WG with a 10 lb spring. Does that mean the WG opens at 10psi?
    From what I have read the spring will open when it sees 10lbs but that is a big spring. I have a four port boost solenoid and my 3lb spring is holding find up to way over that. No creep at all

Feedback Score
    If I change out my spring, I assume I'll need a new tune, correct? Due to the variation of boost pressures at different rpm

Feedback Score
    If I change out my spring, I assume I'll need a new tune, correct? Due to the variation of boost pressures at different rpm
    What size spring you got?

Feedback Score
    10 pound. I've only creeped a handful of times with it. My confliction is that I'm running a journal bearing turbo, so I need the wastegate to open as late as possible to allow for the quickest spool

Feedback Score
    10 pound. I've only creeped a handful of times with it. My confliction is that I'm running a journal bearing turbo, so I need the wastegate to open as late as possible to allow for the quickest spool
    I am on journal too and I spool pretty fast on four port. Do you know the difference between them?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksboi View Post
    I am on journal too and I spool pretty fast on four port. Do you know the difference between them?
    I don't. Ive never heard of port differences until I joined thid site

Feedback Score
    I don't. Ive never heard of port differences until I joined thid site
    From what I was told the boost solenoid has four ports, ie four port, two run to the gate which put increased pressure on the top of the gate which will allow no air to seap out which allows you to build boost faster and go way over the spring rate.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    trying to find it but on CRSX there was a manifold that was designed more for wastegate than turbo. Was a sick manifold.
    I think it's the AFI manifold. The manifold Vit has on his black civic is also designed like that. Maybe he can post a picture here [MENTION=789]VitViper[/MENTION]
    Quote Originally Posted by snizzletoff View Post

I like all of what you said, but in a way a high horsepower build can probably be just fine on a small gate, since it never really needs to run low boost anyways, who cares if most of the exhaust can't go out the gate when you need to make 30+ psi
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    I didn't read it anywhere apparently I was given the wrong info or misunderstood the guy that I was discussing it with last week at Cecil .As I said this is my first time exploring with 3 and 4 ports but you can bet when I'm done I'll know it well and have it perfected .I'll be making the change to reduce the amount of boost I can run if it means changing my wg springs then that's what I'm gonna do as I'd like to lower it to a few lbs in first and second on the street so I don't have to back pedal so much .I do indeed love the twin 44 mvrs they control boost so good up top it holds rock steady and you know I'm always one for overkill lol
    Ya I would put the 3 psi spring in both your mvrs and use a single 4 port (unless using 2 3 ports is better, which I doubt it is, but I don't know for sure) as this will allow you to run as much boost as you'll ever want/need in the higher gears, but should make just about 3 psi on wastegate pressure.
    Who is your tuner? If the tune was done correctly, it really shouldn't need to be retuned. I mean turbos are not superchargers, they make boost at all different kinds of rpms since it is load based. So your tune should have the fuel compensation necessary for a lower boost level.
    What are you using for tuning? If you have k-pro or flashpro you can forget about this old school thought. With the quick spool feature hondata now has, a 4 port solenoid will hold your wastegate shut even more effectively than a larger spring would, ie it will keep a 3 psi spring gate shut till 3 psi comes and you will see much quicker spool because of it. Oddly enough just posted this in another thread, but Vit a while back showed a 1200 rpm improvement in spool time on a GTX3076 just by turning on quick spool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast