Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with Rotrex lack of boost

Feedback Score
    [MENTION=56]Adm_rsx[/MENTION] I was working on a job site that was strictly dirt/dusty roads for the last 1.5 months. It seems its been too long since I oiled my intake filter and a significant sum of dust made it through the filter. My question is does the rotrex have any competent s that could be hurt by dust? I've seen unite taken apart and it seems its just the volute and impeller on the shaft, I can't imagine the dust actually getting by the bearing to the internals. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the compressor wheel and when I spin it by hand it doesn't feel like any grind like a bearing with dirt would feel. you can see the dust on the walls compared to the end closest to the camera. What are you thoughts, could a dust in the intake make it past the output shaft seal/bearing? Also I checked and couldn't see oil flowing into the canister visually, but if I crack the return fitting it oozes out quickly so it's defiantly circulating. Thanks for all your help so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What's up man what size intake piping is that? And what type of filter are you using.

From personal experience when I had my 38-81 I was on the dyno and the car wouldn't make any more power and I couldn't figure out why. I took the air filter of and it made 4 more psi. Went from 18psi to 22psi and hit boost cut at that point. People are finding that you also don't have to rev these blowers to the moon in order to make the power.

Also id pull the pipe all the way off if you already haven't. It could be the car is starving of air and perhaps that could be some issue of noise?

I'm not sure what more to suggest other then what I mentioned above or to pull the blower off and have it checked. I'm hoping nothings wrong because I'd hate for you to lose faith in these blowers.

Also did you reverse mount the w.g. Like jaydee did? Could be creeping boost out there as well.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score
    It's 3" piping to the driver fender where it has a new velocity stack. I'm doing a boost leak test tommorow and seeing why the heck I can make much pressure. Shortened my charge piping significantly and now I went from maxing boost at 9psi before the leak to 5psi then a leak is occurring. This is the strangest thing ever, so simple yet so hard to pinpoint what's going on haha. I really hope it holds up at least to the end of this season. Also just to reference quick again, do you think some dust in the intake could do much to the internals of the rotrex drive system or its pretty well sealed off?

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let us know how the boost leak test goes and the bearings and inner workings of the rotrex are pretty well sealed off. Not sure much of anything would make it through that seal. But crazier things have happened. I had a my first 38-81 snap a shaft on me while launching.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    I made my little boost leak tester, put a valve stem for a tire on to pump air through, but I can't seem to get any pressure in the system. I got fed up, even cranking the pressure in the tank up to 60psi. Got sick of trying so I ended up just doing a boost leak while the motor was running, found a couple bubbles but nothing crazy. I just remembered a few years ago I stripped 3 of the intake manifold bolt holes. Therefore I can only barely get those hand tight. I need to check its not leaking from the intake manifold which now that I recall could be the biggest place for a leak. If not I'm stumped, I redid my charge piping way shorter and put the bov closer to the throttle body and it still opens up at 8-9psi. Car seems more responsive though with the shorter piping haha.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anything new here?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    No. I think I mentioned the blower making a terrible noise. Well for the first week I was driving it since it started that the oil level was still full, but now I noticed it frothing inside the canister when revved above 3000. Which makes me think the filter must be clogged or something and this blower needs a rebuild. Thanks for your help so far but I'm taking it off this week since if its losing oil then it will be guaranteed to implode, before the oil was circulating so I said te heck with it the damage is already done. Don't know if I should rebuild this one or spring for new. They are just so expensive!

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04carboncivic View Post
    No. I think I mentioned the blower making a terrible noise. Well for the first week I was driving it since it started that the oil level was still full, but now I noticed it frothing inside the canister when revved above 3000. Which makes me think the filter must be clogged or something and this blower needs a rebuild. Thanks for your help so far but I'm taking it off this week since if its losing oil then it will be guaranteed to implode, before the oil was circulating so I said te heck with it the damage is already done. Don't know if I should rebuild this one or spring for new. They are just so expensive!

Yea they are very expensive. I am trying to keep positive and hope mine stays strong

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Yea they are very expensive. I am trying to keep positive and hope mine stays strong

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    How did you last one go? And how long did it last roughly? Also I read your new build but are you on a k24 now? Must be one hell of a car! I'd kill for your setup but 2600 for a c38-92 and possibility of losing it again scares me and pushes me to the turbo route (sad face)

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm glad you figured it your charger is capable of more then just 9psi. That is great man!

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast