Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups

Feedback Score
    Hello all. I hate to make my first post a necro, but I really can't find good information anywhere else about streetable tires for high HP (or in my case high TQ) FWD applications. I sold my EP3 hatch and now have a '13 speed3 currently putting down 307whp 359tq, and even with a load limited by gear tune, it's rough to get traction well into 3rd as the temperatures drop.

I see the NT-05 doesn't have the "useless under 40*F" comment attached, and that is what I'm primarily wondering. Do any of these tires remain pliable near freezing temperatures? I'm also stuck with 18" wheels for now, so the rigid sidewalls of 40 aspect ratios aren't going to do me any favors.

Thanks for any input.

(and on a side note, I plan to buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports for their all-around performance if I can't find the "compromise" tire I'm looking for)
    Last edited by EP3toMS3; 11-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EP3toMS3 View Post
    Hello all. I hate to make my first post a necro, but I really can't find good information anywhere else about streetable tires for high HP (or in my case high TQ) FWD applications. I sold my EP3 hatch and now have a '13 speed3 currently putting down 307whp 359tq, and even with a load limited by gear tune, it's rough to get traction well into 3rd as the temperatures drop.

I see the NT-05 doesn't have the "useless under 40*F" comment attached, and that is what I'm primarily wondering. Do any of these tires remain pliable near freezing temperatures? I'm also stuck with 18" wheels for now, so the rigid sidewalls of 40 aspect ratios aren't going to do me any favors.

Thanks for any input.

(and on a side note, I plan to buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports for their all-around performance if I can't find the "compromise" tire I'm looking for)
    Pretty much all of the tires posted in this thread are EPST (extreme performance summer tires) and thus will work very poorly below 40*. For me, I just accept the fact that my car will struggle to have traction in the winter and use full out snow tires on case it snows so I'm not totally sol. I also turn my boost controller off so I'm at bare minimum boost pressures, although I'm not sure how easy that is for you to do on your speed3. Now if you really want to find a tire that works well in the cold, I would try out the continental dws as they are a higher performance all season tire. I'm not sure if they will hook with that much torque though, a guy I know on here used them on his supercharged civic and just today he was posting about how first gear is absolutely useless and second is almost useless, this is in 30* weather with boost limited in first and second with a bypass valve and boost controller. He also has far less torque than yours at only around 230 or so iirc.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In reality, most people are abke to have different summer and winter tires. For those people, go all out. As, safety is most important. However, there are solutions for those that aren't able to have different sets of wheels. As an example, the Nexen N3000 tires are great for traction when heated up (in terms of performance), but still good without an intentional heat-up. They are also decent in the snow, and won't break in sub-40*F weather.

That's a personal review for you!

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Pretty much all of the tires posted in this thread are EPST (extreme performance summer tires) and thus will work very poorly below 40*. For me, I just accept the fact that my car will struggle to have traction in the winter and use full out snow tires on case it snows so I'm not totally sol. I also turn my boost controller off so I'm at bare minimum boost pressures, although I'm not sure how easy that is for you to do on your speed3. Now if you really want to find a tire that works well in the cold, I would try out the continental dws as they are a higher performance all season tire. I'm not sure if they will hook with that much torque though, a guy I know on here used them on his supercharged civic and just today he was posting about how first gear is absolutely useless and second is almost useless, this is in 30* weather with boost limited in first and second with a bypass valve and boost controller. He also has far less torque than yours at only around 230 or so iirc.
    Thanks for the reply, aLmk. I sort of figured there was no perfect compromise or everyone would be running them. I do live in Alabama, and snow accumulation on the roads is both rare and typically leads to road closures, so I'm still leaning more toward running an extreme performance tire but perhaps without the ultra-aggressive tread pattern (or lack therof) of the NT05.

The Conti DWS is a great suggestion. I've heard some good things about them on the mazdaspeed forum, but the topics there don't really address the milder climates that just get cold snaps, it's either Blizzak or extreme summer tires, and those look like a pretty rigid compound rated at 50k miles / 540 TWR. It would probably be smart of me to get those or something similar, but I think I'm going to try my luck with something softer so I can run them year round.

Yoko S.Drives, Pilot SS, and Cooper RS3-S have my eye at the moment, all being 300TWR and having plenty of siping to evacuate water and maybe offer enough grip to get me to work on semi-slick roads. If I have good results with whatever I choose, I'll report back!

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    I have the sdrives and for the price I paid I'm super impressed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedK20 View Post
    In reality, most people are abke to have different summer and winter tires. For those people, go all out. As, safety is most important. However, there are solutions for those that aren't able to have different sets of wheels. As an example, the Nexen N3000 tires are great for traction when heated up (in terms of performance), but still good without an intentional heat-up. They are also decent in the snow, and won't break in sub-40*F weather.

That's a personal review for you!
    I'm almost embarrassed I forgot about those tires - they were on my EP3 when I bought it! They cornered like beasts until they wore down, and it was almost as if the rubber compound changed and they got really greasy. With how cheap they are I could definitely give them another shot - and the sexy tread pattern does look like it could handle shedding some light snow. I don't know if they can hook on a 235/40/18 on a warm day, but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

Hopefully next winter I'll have some extra wheels/tires for the car, but I'm having difficulty prioritizing for our typical climate and those remaining mods screaming for my wallet.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EP3toMS3 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, aLmk. I sort of figured there was no perfect compromise or everyone would be running them. I do live in Alabama, and snow accumulation on the roads is both rare and typically leads to road closures, so I'm still leaning more toward running an extreme performance tire but perhaps without the ultra-aggressive tread pattern (or lack therof) of the NT05.

The Conti DWS is a great suggestion. I've heard some good things about them on the mazdaspeed forum, but the topics there don't really address the milder climates that just get cold snaps, it's either Blizzak or extreme summer tires, and those look like a pretty rigid compound rated at 50k miles / 540 TWR. It would probably be smart of me to get those or something similar, but I think I'm going to try my luck with something softer so I can run them year round.

Yoko S.Drives, Pilot SS, and Cooper RS3-S have my eye at the moment, all being 300TWR and having plenty of siping to evacuate water and maybe offer enough grip to get me to work on semi-slick roads. If I have good results with whatever I choose, I'll report back!
    I love my dunlop star specs and highly recommend the newer version of them, the star spec zIIs. They are even better than what I have and about the same price. Of course I don't think you can get the zI star specs anymore since they are discontinued, I bought mine before the new ones came out.

Feedback Score
    I have searched and discussed this topic several times .I currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s they are hands down the best tire I have ever had in summer temps for dry street traction .They do however fade as the temps drop .I love these tires but am also on the hunt for a good winter tire. I am considering several but have not decided what to go with as of yet .
    Last edited by vdubkilla; 11-14-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Feedback Score
    +1 for star specs they are great summer tires.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    I have searched and discussed this topic several times .I currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s they are hands down the best tire I have ever had in summer temps for dry street traction .They do however fade as the temps drop .I love these tires but am also on the hunt for a good winter tire. I am considering several but have not decided what to go with as of yet .
    +1- i am running the newer potenza RE-11a's and they are incredible.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast