Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you tried a nice EPST yet? I think they would probably help you over an all season...

Feedback Score
    my new tire setup for the street. Enkei RPF1 15x7 +35 offset wrapped with a 225-50-15 Mickey Thompson ET street radials. So far so good on 9 Psi the tires hold up pretty well in 2nd and 3rd gear. We'll see when I up the boost. lol

tire setup1.JPG

Feedback Score
    I must retract my previous statement - I've found traction nirvana from a completely unexpected tire. The Continental DW is apparently fabricated with unicorn jizz, because the 340 TWR and tread pattern look nothing like a tire that could possibly harness power.

But they do.

They run wide for their claimed width, have some soft-ish sidewalls, but the way they hook is completely uncanny. I've tried Kumho 50 TWR R-comps at 20 psi - they aren't even close. These Conti DW's (not DWS, that's the all season) were apparently a deal with the devil, because I cannot further explain how they hook up 2nd gear - on a car with short gearing no less.

This is no auto-x tire with the lack of transient response, but for pure street groping prowess, this is the ticket. Apparently they wear well also, which would be just a bonus at this point. I'm amazed.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^ Great post! +1

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EP3toMS3 View Post
    I must retract my previous statement - I've found traction nirvana from a completely unexpected tire. The Continental DW is apparently fabricated with unicorn jizz, because the 340 TWR and tread pattern look nothing like a tire that could possibly harness power.

But they do.

They run wide for their claimed width, have some soft-ish sidewalls, but the way they hook is completely uncanny. I've tried Kumho 50 TWR R-comps at 20 psi - they aren't even close. These Conti DW's (not DWS, that's the all season) were apparently a deal with the devil, because I cannot further explain how they hook up 2nd gear - on a car with short gearing no less.

This is no auto-x tire with the lack of transient response, but for pure street groping prowess, this is the ticket. Apparently they wear well also, which would be just a bonus at this point. I'm amazed.
    These Continental ExtremeContact DW?

Feedback Score
    So, either great cornering or great straight line performance or a sacrifice for both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksboi View Post
    These Continental ExtremeContact DW?
    Correct!

And they semi-suck for lateral changes in direction... I'll try to clarify as best I can. They grip well once you commit to a corner, and they provide sufficient feedback to let you know you're breaking loose, but they DO NOT handle slalom style movements well at all. The sidewalls are just shy of an all-season, but the grip is on par with a drag radial.

There's no doubt you have to choose your poison with tires, and thus far, the Conti DW is easily the best all-around compromise for straight line grip, decent lateral grip, OK transient response, A+ wet weather safety, and outstanding wear characteristics (according to reviews and TWR, far too few miles on mine to back that up).

If we could all DD slicks that worked in the rain, we would... but it doesn't exist just yet. I'm convinced these tires are about as close as you're going to get, and still be able to take a few corners at fun speed.

To put this in perspective... my FWD car that eats C6 Corvettes from a sushi roll is capable of hooking 2nd gear. That is nuts IMO.
    Last edited by EP3toMS3; 06-11-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Feedback Score
    Awesome. Well have to check these out. I was blown away by my new setup in the rain and even more with the 245,40,17 Z2 direzzas but I will try them next set. Maybe if they are all season buy for stock rims.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Loving the feedback in this thread. Let's keep this going! Share away

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    These are summer tires but still, for 100 a piece? Nice price!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast