Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Defector checking in to say hello

Feedback Score

Defector checking in to say hello

I had an EP3

But I wanted boost, and the Mazdaspeed3 was calling my name.
    They're notorious for being very complicit to minor bolt-ons and a decent tune, and mine certainly hasn't disappointed. I poked my nose in here to see how you all were putting the power down with wrong wheel drive (thanks for the tire tips!) and figure I should share a picture or two of my happy hatch.

For those that don't know much about the stock 2.3L turbo wagon, it comes with a direct injected 263/280 crank rating, and mine put down a dyno of 247/265 on the local rollers. I've since added an intake, test pipe (secondary cat delete), fuel pump internals, and a 25% E85 tune for some juicy spark advance.

We use CF1.01, but the Dynojet numbers for the car are 338/406. I'd call that a tad optimistic at CF1.09.

And here's a picture of the car

I'm waffling over a turbo swap, but I'll probably wait one more year before I bump it up about 70HP. That's about all you can safely achieve on stock block ~400/400.

I'll continue to snoop around - there's always good information boosted FWD owners can share!
    Last edited by EP3toMS3; 01-26-2014 at 06:37 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    They are pretty nice. Guy in my club has one. He's tried multiple times running me lol
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EP3toMS3 View Post
    I had an EP3

But I wanted boost, and the Mazdaspeed3 was calling my name.
    They're notorious for being very complicit to minor bolt-ons and a decent tune, and mine certainly hasn't disappointed. I poked my nose in here to see how you all were putting the power down with wrong wheel drive (thanks for the tire tips!) and figure I should share a picture or two of my happy hatch.

For those that don't know much about the stock 2.3L turbo wagon, it comes with a direct injected 263/280 crank rating, and mine put down a dyno of 247/265 on the local rollers. I've since added an intake, test pipe (secondary cat delete), fuel pump internals, and a 25% E85 tune for some juicy spark advance.

We use CF1.01, but the Dynojet numbers for the car are 338/406. I'd call that a tad optimistic at CF1.09.

And here's a picture of the car

I'm waffling over a turbo swap, but I'll probably wait one more year before I bump it up about 70HP. That's about all you can safely achieve on stock block ~400/400.

I'll continue to snoop around - there's always good information boosted FWD owners can share!
    Welcome and thanks for sharing! I've always enjoyed the feel of an MS3. I almost bought a 1st gen! Then I was interested in a MSMX3. Looking forward to more posts, and post up some more pictures! The MS3 is a great hatch, share some more complimenting shots!

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    Spose I could toss a couple more pics in here.

This was brand new and untainted.

It's the tech package, including HIDs that turn with the car, auto-windshield wipers, and some other goofy toys. It's actually a very respectable interior for a $25k car.

The 235/40/18 Neo Gens that are currently doing an admirable job of handling the torque

And recently I've added the Laser Interceptor 8.9, and you can see the diodes visible just at the upper corners of the goofy grin. You should youtube them if you're not aware of what they are - if you do a lot of highway miles they can quite easily pay for themselves in many jurisdictions.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice! Are the wheels powdercoated or painted black from the factory? And it's definitely a nice car for $25k. IIRC, [MENTION=789]VitViper[/MENTION] used to daily an MS3! I like the laser jammers you have. Pretty penny huh?

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    The wheels are gunmetal gray from the factory for '13's - and although I wish they were 8" instead of 7.5, I'll be keeping them for awhile for their nice appearance.

The Laser Interceptors cost about the same as a hefty speeding ticket ($550).

I'm not going to make it a year before the turbo swap.. I've already ordered a 3bar MAP, EBCS, new Bypass Valve, 3" intake and I'll be picking up the newly fabricated BNR S3 (GT2871 CHRA) in about two weeks. I'm doing a really bad job of sticking to my plan with this car...

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The wheels are gunmetal gray from the factory for '13's - and although I wish they were 8" instead of 7.5, I'll be keeping them for awhile for their nice appearance.

The Laser Interceptors cost about the same as a hefty speeding ticket ($550).

I'm not going to make it a year before the turbo swap.. I've already ordered a 3bar MAP, EBCS, new Bypass Valve, 3" intake and I'll be picking up the newly fabricated BNR S3 (GT2871 CHRA) in about two weeks. I'm doing a really bad job of sticking to my plan with this car...
    The mod bug always finds a way of biting! Great order list so far, what EBCS did you go with? And, toss up more details on that GT2871 chra turbo. My first setup was a GT2871R, I was limited right at 400whp

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    The mod bug always finds a way of biting! Great order list so far, what EBCS did you go with? And, toss up more details on that GT2871 chra turbo. My first setup was a GT2871R, I was limited right at 400whp
    It's a Cobb EBCS that I'll be running in 3 port.

The turbo details:

GT2871 compressor wheel
    New GT28 non ball bearing CHRA
    360 degree thrust assembly
    upgraded wastegate actuator assembly
    balanced to or under .5 gram/in2
    upgraded compressor housing with custom outlet for the factory intercooler piping/couplers

http://bnrsupercars.com/

They used to recycle a K04 and port the hot side, but they were prone to cracking from insufficient material and heat cycling. BNR just had their own castings made, so now it's a non-issue and the reason I'm pulling the trigger. It's a perfect match for our direct injection fueling limits and 25% E85.

One of the best Speed tuners made 417/395 with this turbo with meth injection (and later 445/412 on the GTX2867r with rods/pistons/port work), but I don't intend to push it beyond 370whp. That's a decent safe zone if you reverse taper the boost to keep the rods in the block, and the OEM clutch and trans can handle it nicely. This is still my DD.

Just recently we've had some MZR's break 700awhp (speed6) and 800whp with several similar builds taking place this winter, so expect to see some low 10s passes from the Mazda camp this year, maybe tickle the 9s.

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    sounds like you have a good path set for yourself
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's a Cobb EBCS that I'll be running in 3 port.

The turbo details:

GT2871 compressor wheel
    New GT28 non ball bearing CHRA
    360 degree thrust assembly
    upgraded wastegate actuator assembly
    balanced to or under .5 gram/in2
    upgraded compressor housing with custom outlet for the factory intercooler piping/couplers

http://bnrsupercars.com/

They used to recycle a K04 and port the hot side, but they were prone to cracking from insufficient material and heat cycling. BNR just had their own castings made, so now it's a non-issue and the reason I'm pulling the trigger. It's a perfect match for our direct injection fueling limits and 25% E85.

One of the best Speed tuners made 417/395 with this turbo with meth injection (and later 445/412 on the GTX2867r with rods/pistons/port work), but I don't intend to push it beyond 370whp. That's a decent safe zone if you reverse taper the boost to keep the rods in the block, and the OEM clutch and trans can handle it nicely. This is still my DD.

Just recently we've had some MZR's break 700awhp (speed6) and 800whp with several similar builds taking place this winter, so expect to see some low 10s passes from the Mazda camp this year, maybe tickle the 9s.
    Great info! Cool option by BNR, it's a nice option for you guys. That's great that they do that. And I'm actually a bit surprised that the Mazda internals aren't somewhat beefier to handle that type of power increase. And I don't mean that negatively by any means.

Still a great daily driver! I daily mine as well. Always puts a smile on your face haha. Think you can get some of the MZR guys on here to post a build? It would be cool to expand and see other builds!

My Ruckus Build

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast