Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast

Thread: BoostedK20.com OG Hatch Build - Mild Restoration Has Begun!

Feedback Score
    I've never heard of modifying a k series timing chain .As far as the head studs I used that procedure on my stock engine and it worked fine we threw 26 lbs at it with no problems. We also installed dual valve springs , seats , retainers and seals without pulling the head .
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostydc5 View Post
    And like stated before i think the decision of the goals for the build need to be set first before you decide on what motor set up to go with and all the good stuff that comes with it.
    If it was me, i would decide on the goals for the car long and short term, and the budget. Then i think its easier to set everything else up for the build.

By short and long term goals i mean if your budget allows you to accomplish your ultimate goal for the build from the start then there is no need for a short term. How ever if for example, your ultimate goal is a 9 second car but the budget only allows for mid 10 second power levels then you have your short and long and you can build accordingly so that you don't have to go back and spend double the money rather then just upgrade. I hope it makes sense lol
    Well I'm imagining a 500hp car weighing 1500lbs will be in the 9's attainably, no?

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Well I'm imagining a 500hp car weighing 1500lbs will be in the 9's attainably, no?
    I would imagine on paper it should be in or damn close but as i know you know its not all about the hp. I didn't mean 9 for the drag car or not just used it as a example but yes, i think once you set your mind on what the ultimate goal is for the car then the real planning will be easier.

Also gotta think about what class you are thinking about running, there will always be limitations on min. weight turbo size types of glass tire size blah blah blah the list goes on. just food for thought

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostydc5 View Post
    I would imagine on paper it should be in or damn close but as i know you know its not all about the hp. I didn't mean 9 for the drag car or not just used it as a example but yes, i think once you set your mind on what the ultimate goal is for the car then the real planning will be easier.

Also gotta think about what class you are thinking about running, there will always be limitations on min. weight turbo size types of glass tire size blah blah blah the list goes on. just food for thought
    What I would like to do first is build the front end first- motor, tranny, radiator, front mount, the works. Also, new strut towers, front suspension, etc. To compliment that, the front end will be reinforced with the beginnings of the roll-cage, which will end at the interior for future progression. I want the car to be ready this coming year, so it will definitely be a street car at first. I don't mind keeping it stock internals with the method that [MENTION=83]vdubkilla[/MENTION] mentioned, to see how well the car will do with traction and get a real feel for it. I'd rather put the money to build the trans before internals on the motor.

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedK20 View Post
    What I would like to do first is build the front end first- motor, tranny, radiator, front mount, the works. Also, new strut towers, front suspension, etc. To compliment that, the front end will be reinforced with the beginnings of the roll-cage, which will end at the interior for future progression. I want the car to be ready this coming year, so it will definitely be a street car at first. I don't mind keeping it stock internals with the method that [MENTION=83]vdubkilla[/MENTION] mentioned, to see how well the car will do with traction and get a real feel for it. I'd rather put the money to build the trans before internals on the motor.
    sounds like you got your goals in place

Feedback Score
    I would think so the 9 second pass that is
    Last edited by vdubkilla; 11-15-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Debating on building this car. The more I research it, the more rare it becomes. Cost is also a big part of the process. A friend of mine knows the person who built the K-swapped 79 Civic. He said it would cost 30-50k, which is out of budget for sure. And with that price tag, I would rather Kswap an NSX (which was my first choice).

As of right now, my focus is on getting this car running with the original motor and tranny, and going from there. As of today, I temporarily fixed the window. It dropped during the previous owner's possession. It's all messed up internally - rust, broken parts, etc. But I temporarily rigged it so it will shut and seal - but can't be opened. Also, I am dropping the tank to see what I'm working with because the car is getting no fuel. Bought a new fuel pump, which I will swap in once I clean this tank out tomorrow. Looking forward to some more fun within the next week or 2.

Feedback Score
    so knowing what you know now are you going to go through with the project?

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryaano18 View Post
    so knowing what you know now are you going to go through with the project?
    Sorry I missed this Ryan. Holidays and the new year got the best of me.
    Knowing what I know now, I may not go through with the project for this car. And this is for multiple reasons: I've always been into cars, bikes, motors, racing, the entire scene since I was a kid. I used to race people daily on my BMX Bike, compete in bike jumps (flatland, vert, some awesome dirt jumps people built) - I've always been into racing, speed, and competition. My point is that if I don't build this, I will definitely build something. This build might just be too much of a stretch to build financially, not that other builds would be much cheaper but buying a roller might be easier overall. I don't have the facility I need to get what I need done on this car. And I've fallen in love with this car. There's just something about it. But stay tuned. I will post the build details regardless if it's a track car or a restoration.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedK20 View Post
    Sorry I missed this Ryan. Holidays and the new year got the best of me.
    Knowing what I know now, I may not go through with the project for this car. And this is for multiple reasons: I've always been into cars, bikes, motors, racing, the entire scene since I was a kid. I used to race people daily on my BMX Bike, compete in bike jumps (flatland, vert, some awesome dirt jumps people built) - I've always been into racing, speed, and competition. My point is that if I don't build this, I will definitely build something. This build might just be too much of a stretch to build financially, not that other builds would be much cheaper but buying a roller might be easier overall. I don't have the facility I need to get what I need done on this car. And I've fallen in love with this car. There's just something about it. But stay tuned. I will post the build details regardless if it's a track car or a restoration.
    No worries, holidays are for family time and I completely understand you. The last build i saw with the same platform was practically all custom built except for the chassis itself. It was undeniably gorgeous and a jaw-dropping, but the time and money spent into making it that was was, in my opinion, too much. Me personally, i would a restore job on the civic (love the way the civic looks too much to scrap it) and find another project roller that has been tried and trued. Say.... MR2 kswap

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 ... LastLast