Thread: DIY: Idle Air Assist Valve Delete

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

DIY: Idle Air Assist Valve Delete

I just recently performed this on a fellow k20 owner and was allowed to photograph it.
    (Theres already a thread on here but pics dont work)
    I had no intentions of replacing it after reading it wasn't needed, and the thing was just taking up space in the engine bay and looking ugly!

Found this on JHPUSA, sweet! Wait a minute, 20 bucks for this thing? No thanks!

Here's how to do it on the cheap:

What you need to go buy. 3/8" NPT plug and some 3/8" vacuum caps. NPT thread is tapered, unlike regular metric or english thread which is straight. All this means is when you install the plug, you can never crank it down all the way. This is important when asking for the part, it has to be NPT. All these bits cost me 5 bucks at NAPA.

Picture of the part in question - the broken valve. Unclamp the hose from the top of the valve and pull it off the IM and the valve. Next, use a box end wrench to remove the valve. It'll take some muscle to break it loose. It's tight in and around the valve, only a box end wrench will work.

Recycle the clamp to use on capping the port on the IM

Cap this port on the intake arm as well, no clamp is needed.

Plug installed. Use some thread locker for extra insurance. Note half the plug threads are still exposed. This is because it has tapered threads.

Before:

After:

Using promo code "SPOOLBUS" @ checkout when shopping in the eshop will save you money!!

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To add to it, you should always use teflon tape or thread sealant when using NPT.

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    To add to it, you should always use teflon tape or thread sealant when using NPT.
    very good one pal
    Using promo code "SPOOLBUS" @ checkout when shopping in the eshop will save you money!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    very good one pal
    Pal just messin with ya Pal hahahahaha thanks for another nice write up you've posted a lot of good stuff lately
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks. Yea wanna have a bunch of information here n there for future members.

To any one that needs a write up or topic feel free to contact me via pm

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ya these have been helpful. I just didn't see that noted in my quick read through of it, so added that bit of information.

Also, IDK what you guys do, but I generally tighten NPT stuff about as tight as a spark plug, just nice and snug.