Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3

Thread: Lets talk Gears ..Options ? Differences ? Ratios ?

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Personally if you daily your car you won't be racing therefore wouldn't have a need for gears as such. It would be best to stick with the helical cut synchro PPG set. But when your spending 5k+ on them I'd rather get the straight cuts plus PPG only offers a 1-4 gear set so you still have 5th and in some cases 6th gears to use on highways so noise is more then stock but who's car here who needs a built trans isn't louder then stock already?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Cage plus radio member #1
    Mine is hardly louder than stock. Like really really quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    Wow lots of good advice so far but I'm still unsure what to do .I have heard s/c guys break 1st and 2 nd and us turbo guys break 3 rd and 4 th which I have experienced once already .This may be a stupid question but I believe it's a valid one that will help me and others so here goes .Could I run a stock 1st, 2nd gear and do a ppg sycro set 3,4 as that would likely do the trick for my set up as I don't throw much boost at it in 1 st and 2 nd anyway and have never had an issue with either gear hell I mis shifted 2 nd gear this summer and it probably saw huh 13-15,000+ rpms really not sure but it was unhurt by it lol I got lucky in some aspects of that over rev I guess .I do run a twin disc on the street and really don't mind it much the one thing that helps is trying to rev match it though as the engagement can be harsh if you don't rev match and still run the stock clutch fork / set up.The Daily driver thing is also good advice Adam I couldn't imagine trying to daily a boosted k and beat on it and expect long term reliability no matter how well it's built .
    I think it's cause we finally get full traction in 4th and are putting the most amount of boost into it which means the most amount of torque, it also spools the turbo quicker so the torque comes on even quicker and 'light switch' like. I think SC guys break second because they get full traction in the gear for the most part. I broke second though, and that was from being turbo as I was never supercharged. It broke at the least expected time, wasn't shifting hard or anything, and it tore the trans up. Destroyed my LSD, damaged the FD, damaged the clutch case, cracked the LSD bearing in half....

Another gear option that is out there is to have the stock gears treated. I sent off a set a couple months ago to get treated by 'racerstev' on honda-tech as he has a really good track record for making b and k gears a good bit stronger. The treatment only cost $200, so I figured it was worth a shot, I have yet to put these gears in yet though. Obviously this is not going to be anywhere near as strong as the PPG gears, but for the price I think it was worth giving it a try, hell I could rebuild (assuming honda ever get's second gear and main shafts off back-order) my trans with treated stock gears several times before adding up to the price of PPG gears.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You have a radio.... Turn up. Lol

Also take and add up the labor of taking the trans out rebuilding and reinstalling the trans over and over again to the over all cost. Starts to become a nuisance as well when having to continue to remove and rebuild trans after trans. I've already built mine twice.

Also I don't get full traction in 2nd gear or even 3rd.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Also take and add up the labor of taking the trans out rebuilding and reinstalling the trans over and over again to the over all cost. Starts to become a nuisance as well when having to continue to remove and rebuild trans after trans. I've already built mine twice.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Haha I usually do, but I just like my car to be pretty damn quiet.

Yea labor cost is a lot, but at least I do my own labor. I will concede though, it's not a particularly fun time doing all the work to get the trans out and all. But for me right now PPGs are just not in the budget.

I was more referring to your typical supercharged setup, like m62 with or without cooling.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post

Yea labor cost is a lot, but at least I do my own labor. I will concede though, it's not a particularly fun time doing all the work to get the trans out and all. But for me right now PPGs are just not in the budget.

I was more referring to your typical supercharged setup, like m62 with or without cooling.
    My car hasn't been quite since it had a stock exhaust on it. Lol so a little more noise won't kill me. Plus I like hearing things. Makes it more race car like I guess but Also my car hasn't been a daily since 2010. So I don't really worry about that kind of stuff. Farthest it's driven in one time is to NY for the BoostedLife2013 event in August.

I'll agree there... PPG's are not really budget friendly. Although if they were everyone would have them.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Hell I took the radio out and installed gauges in place of it besides I wanna here that k20 Scream ! Adam your right even the s/c guys I know dont get full traction til 3 rd or so

Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post

I do my own work also but these things still have a way of costing a few bucks hence the reason I also don't have ppgs yet
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3