Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Gears ..Options ? Differences ? Ratios ?

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally if you daily your car you won't be racing therefore wouldn't have a need for gears as such. It would be best to stick with the helical cut synchro PPG set. But when your spending 5k+ on them I'd rather get the straight cuts plus PPG only offers a 1-4 gear set so you still have 5th and in some cases 6th gears to use on highways so noise is more then stock but who's car here who needs a built trans isn't louder then stock already?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Cage plus radio member #1
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostydc5 View Post
    I have always been told straight cut gears aren't something you want to daily. No because of the noise but because of the heat, yes they have oil passages, but from what i've been told if your stuck in traffic or something like that its not something you want to daily. Again thats just the information I have always been given from people who have been in this for much longer than most of us, i know everyone has their opinions just thought I would throw a little of what I have in here
    Great info thus far!
    Thank you for posting this! PPG themselves ensures there is absolutely no problem. The only problem would be a lack of oil passages. But all PPG gears have them, so none of us need to worry!

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Personally if you daily your car you won't be racing therefore wouldn't have a need for gears as such. It would be best to stick with the helical cut synchro PPG set. But when your spending 5k+ on them I'd rather get the straight cuts plus PPG only offers a 1-4 gear set so you still have 5th and in some cases 6th gears to use on highways so noise is more then stock but who's car here who needs a built trans isn't louder then stock already?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Yeah man i know what your saying, in my case the car is going on the track this upcoming season, this winter is going to be all track prep but its still going to be my daily for the time being. Money will determine what happens trans wise.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostydc5 View Post
    Yeah man i know what your saying, in my case the car is going on the track this upcoming season, this winter is going to be all track prep but its still going to be my daily for the time being. Money will determine what happens trans wise.
    Oh I hear you lol! I'm glad your car is able to be daily'd once that twin disc went in it s all over lol. Who am I kidding once the modding got serious it was all over.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    Oh I hear you lol! I'm glad your car is able to be daily'd once that twin disc went in it s all over lol. Who am I kidding once the modding got serious it was all over.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    yeah man this winter hoping to send it out to get the cage done first then the twin disk needs to be ordered and some other stuff is gona get done.... still gona daily it, i cant afford a another car ATM, and now im regreting selling my daily
    from when i was building oh well

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My mother and father always told me to not mod the car if it was my daily. I spent 5 years not listening. I'd be in the garage till 2 or 3 am fixing my car so I could drive to work the next morning. I realized once I blew my Motor it was time to get a daily. I've had it ever since. I'll never make the mistake again. Plus I can't keep my foot of the gas pedal

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    Wow lots of good advice so far but I'm still unsure what to do .I have heard s/c guys break 1st and 2 nd and us turbo guys break 3 rd and 4 th which I have experienced once already .This may be a stupid question but I believe it's a valid one that will help me and others so here goes .Could I run a stock 1st, 2nd gear and do a ppg sycro set 3,4 as that would likely do the trick for my set up as I don't throw much boost at it in 1 st and 2 nd anyway and have never had an issue with either gear hell I mis shifted 2 nd gear this summer and it probably saw huh 13-15,000+ rpms really not sure but it was unhurt by it lol I got lucky in some aspects of that over rev I guess .I do run a twin disc on the street and really don't mind it much the one thing that helps is trying to rev match it though as the engagement can be harsh if you don't rev match and still run the stock clutch fork / set up.The Daily driver thing is also good advice Adam I couldn't imagine trying to daily a boosted k and beat on it and expect long term reliability no matter how well it's built .
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm sure you could run the 3/4 gear set with no issue. I'd just stick with the 5speeds 1/2. And I'm sure it would give you some peace of mind.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    I'm sure you could run the 3/4 gear set with no issue. I'd just stick with the 5speeds 1/2. And I'm sure it would give you some peace of mind.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Your saying stick with the 5 speeds you mean like the ep3 trans ? I have always run the Ep3 trans since I went boost but I am afraid of stock 4 th gears mainly as that is the gear Ya throw everything at and seems to be the biggest problem for turbo guys
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    Your saying stick with the 5 speeds you mean like the ep3 trans ? I have always run the Ep3 trans since I went boost but I am afraid of stock 4 th gears mainly as that is the gear Ya throw everything at and seems to be the biggest problem for turbo guys
    Yea. Stick with those 1/2 gears. I've yet to make enough power to ruin a 4th gear. But I deff Broke something and will tear it apart someone to find out what.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast