Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Garrett, Comp, and AEM - Available Soon!

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoolin_VTEC View Post
    Personally, I'm not a fan of Precision. Garrett is used in more OEM applications than any other turbocharger. And that goes a LONG way for me. Company and product development, customer service, product recognition, research, design, development, the works. COMP is phenomenal as well. All billet everything, triple ball-bearing (step up from Garrett) and the results to prove it.

No offense to Precision, but I think they're known in the aftermarket industry (turbocharger wise) because they're cheaper and have gotten both good and bad raps (tons of bad for the journals, and mainly good for the ball-bearing.)
    Ya I agree, I'd much rather have turbo made by an OEM than by an aftermarket 'knock-off' company. The precisions I think are so preferred in the aftermarket industry because they are much cheaper, and the journal bearing ones can be rebuilt, whereas Garrett turbos (nearly all are ball bearing at this point) are not really rebuildable. Race teams I'm sure like to be able to quickly rebuild their turbos if necessary, but I for my DD want something a little more proven.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Ya I agree, I'd much rather have turbo made by an OEM than by an aftermarket 'knock-off' company. The precisions I think are so preferred in the aftermarket industry because they are much cheaper, and the journal bearing ones can be rebuilt, whereas Garrett turbos (nearly all are ball bearing at this point) are not really rebuildable. Race teams I'm sure like to be able to quickly rebuild their turbos if necessary, but I for my DD want something a little more proven.
    Very much agreed. However, Garrett does offer a Ball Bearing Replacement Program:

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Website
    Ball Bearing Service Program

Garrett takes great pride in the quality of its turbochargers and tests them extensively. However, sometimes the unthinkable happens and a turbo fails. Garrett now provides the option to exchange a failed CHRA for credit on a new CHRA at an affordable price!

The program requires you take the following steps:

1. Make sure your unit is covered by the program by contacting a Garrett Performance Distributor or Garrett Performance House.
    2. Send your used CHRA* to one of Garrett's Performance Distributors for inspection.
    3. Purchase a new CHRA at a discounted price!

*At a minimum, the center housing must be re-usable to qualify for this program. The Garrett Performance Distributor or Garrett Performance House will determine the condition upon receiving the CHRA and has final say in the applicability of a CHRA for this program.This program is available ONLY through North American distributors.
    Of course, depending on the situation depends on how this goes. If you install a turbocharger properly and it's simply a rare mishap of the product itself (as opposed to boosting hard and turning the car off immediately, or any other type of obvious product misuse/neglect), they have phenomenal customer support and would offer the customer the right option.

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedK20 View Post
    Very much agreed. However, Garrett does offer a Ball Bearing Replacement Program:

Of course, depending on the situation depends on how this goes. If you install a turbocharger properly and it's simply a rare mishap of the product itself (as opposed to boosting hard and turning the car off immediately, or any other type of obvious product misuse/neglect), they have phenomenal customer support and would offer the customer the right option.
    Yea I know about that, but those CHRA are like $500, not really a rebuild, when each housing is ~$300, that puts you at ~$1200 for a turbo charger, so you are pretty much buying a new one without the housings. Whereas a rebuild kit for a journal bearing turbo is quite cheap.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea I know about that, but those CHRA are like $500, not really a rebuild, when each housing is ~$300, that puts you at ~$1200 for a turbo charger, so you are pretty much buying a new one without the housings. Whereas a rebuild kit for a journal bearing turbo is quite cheap.
    Well, it depends on the turbo. Can be anywhere from a 25-50% discount off a normal CHRA. But you'll likely never have an issue with a ball-bearing turbo from Garrett. Most of the people who do are the ones who did something wrong (whether installation, driveability, etc) and won't own up to it. Plus, all the ball-bearing turbos surpass the journals. Making more power, quicker spool, more reliable, but more expensive. You know the saying, "Cheap, fast, reliable: Pick two."

Garrett also has journals too

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Well, it depends on the turbo. Can be anywhere from a 25-50% discount off a normal CHRA. But you'll likely never have an issue with a ball-bearing turbo from Garrett. Most of the people who do are the ones who did something wrong (whether installation, driveability, etc) and won't own up to it. Plus, all the ball-bearing turbos surpass the journals. Making more power, quicker spool, more reliable, but more expensive. You know the saying, "Cheap, fast, reliable: Pick two."

I would say on average 50%. Then again, I've installed and used many ball-bearing GT-R and GTX-R turbochargers without an issue. You both know that CHRA housings go for ~$1,000 on average?

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post

And that's the key right there. The whole point of what I was saying is, getting a new CHRA isn't really 'rebuilding' the turbo, it's replacing the turbo minus the housings. BUT you should hardly ever have to do that with a GT/X turbo.

Feedback Score
    I love my Garrett Turbo have owned 2 Garrett's' and one Borg Warner all have been flawless. I had one minor issue with my 35r that was my fault and it they checked it out and did not charge me to do so .
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2