Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Plastic Cowl modifications?

From Ohio but currently stationed in North Carolina
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Plastic Cowl modifications?

Okay so this has been bugging me for several months now and at this point i dont care if it is a dumb topic or question. So when i first turbo'd my civic i didnt heat wrap anything in my bay, reading that heat wrapping the manifold would hold in moisture and eventually crack you manifold. I didnt heat wrap any of my wires along the fire wall wither, didnt occure to me at the time i was just ready to go fast. Well one night i was called out by a boosted em1 i did the dumb thing of racing him three times right in a row. Destroying him every time! After the carnage i went to turn around and noticed my steering wheel was really stiff and that my steering wheel light was on. I thought i would disconect the battery and it would fix the problem. To this day im still without power steering, not complainig or anything, every once and awhile it comes back on for a small amount of time kind of teasing me how easy it is to drive with it. I'll get it fixed this winter once the car is put up and i have another ride, but any ways i was wondering if anyone has ever messed with the plastic cowl to either make it to where it vents the heat or captures cold air to send it down where the turbo is?????? I dont even use that piece of metle any more that goes right under that at you can see the warm air rising out of the little holes at night... When i race i completly remove the cowl it just looks kinda dumb without it, or i would just leave it off all the time if it didnt look that bad or a gaping hole in the car.

So my question is, is there any way that the cowl can be designed to either A. drawl in cool air to keep the bay cooler? Or B. Maybe modified to vent out the heat that the manifold creates? Or am i just wasting my time with the idea cause of the way our car is designed?

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Feedback Score
    Since we have electronic steering I think you could have melted the wires. Just check the wiring.

Feedback Score
    After you do what ksboi suggested, WRAP YO SHIT! I didn't wrap my downpipe either, but all my wiring is protected. And I've had no electrical issues after boosting for 4 years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ_Type-S View Post
    After you do what ksboi suggested, WRAP YO SHIT! I didn't wrap my downpipe either, but all my wiring is protected. And I've had no electrical issues after boosting for 4 years.
    Yes its about to be winter so drop subframe and get someone with small hands and wrap the wiring. I have seen a thermal spray I am looking into getting spraying my firewall and then rewrapping in gold thermal tape.

Feedback Score
    Mine is falling off. I'll likely do my rewrap while my turbo is being rebuilt. Thankfully I have an unused box of zipties. Is there any difference between the gold reflection tape & silver tape?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Okay and from all of thst being said im guessing no one has tried to modify their cowl yet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echo3gulf View Post
    Okay and from all of thst being said im guessing no one has tried to modify their cowl yet
    No you could also remove the finder liner. Show me a pic man I will see if my fab guy can make something for you for cheap.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yea you should put that dei gold foil on all the stuff back there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes i get that. I already planed on doing that over the winter wrapping everything and relocating some stuff, and as for fender liners i dont have none kf that stuff in my engine bay.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The only thing that comes to mind is the Gruppe M intake that people were crazy about 4-5 years ago. It's a 'Ram Air' intake that also takes air from the engine bay. I wouldn't buy this, but this may help you move forward in your search.

If you're good with molding, carbon fiber holds heat very well. Your imagination is your limit.

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast