Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Makes Boost, however there is no power

Feedback Score
    Seems to me that I read he is also changing wg and bov when going between the two kits .I think the issue is related to those or the install .However the test video of the turbo does seem odd to me but I can't say I have ever tested mine like that and checked for air coming out of the oil drain or coolant ports.Garrett told him it was normal which also does not seem normal but they are the experts .I just don't see how the turbo produces the set 6 psi how it would make no power or not be able to go beyond that boost level an odd situation.Lets face it exhaust happens turbo spins = boost it has to be something besides the turbo imo . However knowing who is tuning it I highly doubt / am certain the tuner is NOT the issue as Vit tunes many cars and I think he certainly knows his stuff .

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm thinking it has to be related to the exhaust side of things. If the BOV was leaking, you wouldn't see the boost at the map sensor... If the intake manifold was leaking, it would leak with the greddy kit too... Are you using an exhaust manifold gasket when you install the manifold?

Feedback Score
    It was stated in there that when Garrett tested the turbo the only did a "visual" inspection , in which test they would not see what's going on here. The turbo should not leak like that, and they said that once oil pressure builds it would stop that from happening, I don't see that as a possibility, it seems like a turbo issue. If there was a pre turbo leak exhaust leak it would still make power the turbo would just work harder to make the boost .

Feedback Score
    Exactly... ^^^ The turbo makes this snarling growl sound once the power drops off.. and it just does not seem normal to me for it to make that sound. especially when the drop in power happens....

Feedback Score
    I'd love to see and hear this set up to try to determine the cause of your issue and I'd also like to talk to Garrett and let them explain the air coming out of the oil drain and coolant ports of the turbo if my turbo wasn't installed I'd be out there trying the same test .I wonder does anyone on here have a known good Garrett turbo they can do this test on ???

Feedback Score
    There's no way it's normal for that too happen, I mean if you hook up the coolant ports that would just fill your cooling system with air, no way in hell that is right!

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    I'd love to see and hear this set up to try to determine the cause of your issue and I'd also like to talk to Garrett and let them explain the air coming out of the oil drain and coolant ports of the turbo if my turbo wasn't installed I'd be out there trying the same test .I wonder does anyone on here have a known good Garrett turbo they can do this test on ???
    Just so happens that I have a nice GT42RS sitting on my table. What do you want me to do?

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SLOWFG2 View Post
    There's no way it's normal for that too happen, I mean if you hook up the coolant ports that would just fill your cooling system with air, no way in hell that is right!
    I agree as it doesn't make sense hence the reason I'd love to hear Garrett explain their explanation .

Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Just so happens that I have a nice GT42RS sitting on my table. What do you want me to do?
    Did you see the test video he did on his turbo ? Do the same test he did and lets see if the results are the same I highly doubt they will be but this would 100% prove it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhikr9mcKd8
    Last edited by vdubkilla; 10-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to pull my comp off this weekend an test it , cause if that's normal for one turbo it should be for all !

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SLOWFG2 View Post
    Ya I agree, I can't see how it could let pressure into those ports, and I also don't see how oil pressure would fix the problem. If it leaked without the oil pressure, wouldn't the oil leak too then? Idk maybe I'm over looking something more complicated, but just doesn't seem right....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast