Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Poita's FA5 Turbo Build (Pic heavy)

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poita View Post
    damn updates!

My coolant was disappearing and I found no visible leaks on the turbo, radiator hoses or anywhere. Oil aspect was OK. So I had a clue what could have happened...
    Did a leak down test yesterday and as soon as I started to pressurize cylinder 3 got some bubbles coming from the radiator.
    Head lift? Did some tests with 19 psi while ago. Maybe I've reached the headstuds limit, they were torqued at 80lbft.

I'll be waiting 7 working days for my head gasket, and then I'll apply 100lbft on the studs. Hope they don't break.

Since the car is down, I'll install the 75A innovative mounts that just arrived and do a recheck for leaks.

It could be worse, but this is the first time I had to stop the car since I gone turbo
    It seems several people have issues with their head lifting at high boost with the arp studs torque to 80 ft/lbs. I went to 90 on mine, and other have gone to 100 and maybe even more than that. I hope 90 is enough for my needs

Feedback Score
    I read a lot about that issues on 8thcivic.com but, people tend to blame horsepower, the only thing I can think that can make my head lift is pressure. I had plans to push pressure even far until the end of this year...
    21 to 26 psi, depending on the horsepower the turbo could generate.

Now I'm not that confident about going that far with a smaller turbo for that application.

Maybe it's time to think about upgrading the head studs for 1/2", but I'm not sure what complications that decision may arise. Nor what do I need besides a tap and patience or a good shop for that job.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read a lot about that issues on 8thcivic.com but, people tend to blame horsepower, the only thing I can think that can make my head lift is pressure. I had plans to push pressure even far until the end of this year...
    21 to 26 psi, depending on the horsepower the turbo could generate.

Now I'm not that confident about going that far with a smaller turbo for that application.

Maybe it's time to think about upgrading the head studs for 1/2", but I'm not sure what complications that decision may arise. Nor what do I need besides a tap and patience or a good shop for that job.
    Vit had his most recent block o-ringed and tapped for 1/2" head studs to ensure no issues with head lifting.

Feedback Score
    I sub'd his new thread. The old one has a thousand pages, can't find shit there lol

I'll take a look there, to see if he had to change something on the HG to fit...
    I need to focus. I'm having that odd feeling that I need to buy new rods and I should change them now... Damn.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I sub'd his new thread. The old one has a thousand pages, can't find shit there lol

I'll take a look there, to see if he had to change something on the HG to fit...
    I need to focus. I'm having that odd feeling that I need to buy new rods and I should change them now... Damn.

He definitely is using a different head gasket. He has sleeves and an 88mm bore.

Why do you need to change your rods?

Feedback Score
    I don't really need it. But I wanna push it further safely.

Feedback Score
    So after a while, I'm back.
    Engine to the ground to change my headgasket, so I took my time and did some fixes on problems I've found...

So as soon I started to disassemble the charge pipes, I've found a boost leak. The coupler that comes out from the turbo to the IC touched the exhaust manifold at some point... The result:

mangote.jpg
    So, you guys were right, beside the blown HG I had a boost leak.

Check the amount of rust I had on my cylinder walls... (The liquid all over is WD40, I had to call it a night that day)
    rustycyl.jpg

Installed the HPT chain guide
    hpt.jpg

Prothane bushings to improve traction and Innovative mounts 85A
    bushing.jpg

And finally, rechecked the valve adjustment.

Everything in place and the car is finally running!

One impression about the innovative mounts is that I didn't feel any change on car's vibration. But, the car feels pretty tight and even more uncomfortable on bumpy roads (pretty much 80% of the Brazilian streets).

Even getting 17psi @ 4500rpm and slowly falling to 11psi @ 8600rpm the car feels very fun ! Had no problems against a M3 Supercharger and a Camaro CTe SC. But I couldn't keep up with a R8 lol

Now I'm thinking about aftermarket cams. What you guys think about prayoonto stg3 cams on a high boost turbo ?
    I found an interesting deal on them and I didn't have enough time to read about cams (and that is pretty extensive reading, btw).
    My main concern is the chain tensioner... Because there is no final word on why do they fail (even the reinforced ones), which cams are that aggressive on them and how to fix once and for all that issue.

So please leave your !

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For your coupler put some dei gold foil on it. My coupler sits really close to my manifold as well and practically touches it in parts and the dei gold foil has help it last a while.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So after a while, I'm back.
    Engine to the ground to change my headgasket, so I took my time and did some fixes on problems I've found...

So as soon I started to disassemble the charge pipes, I've found a boost leak. The coupler that comes out from the turbo to the IC touched the exhaust manifold at some point... The result:

mangote.jpg
    So, you guys were right, beside the blown HG I had a boost leak.

Check the amount of rust I had on my cylinder walls... (The liquid all over is WD40, I had to call it a night that day)
    rustycyl.jpg

Installed the HPT chain guide
    hpt.jpg

Prothane bushings to improve traction and Innovative mounts 85A
    bushing.jpg

And finally, rechecked the valve adjustment.

Everything in place and the car is finally running!

One impression about the innovative mounts is that I didn't feel any change on car's vibration. But, the car feels pretty tight and even more uncomfortable on bumpy roads (pretty much 80% of the Brazilian streets).

Even getting 17psi @ 4500rpm and slowly falling to 11psi @ 8600rpm the car feels very fun ! Had no problems against a M3 Supercharger and a Camaro CTe SC. But I couldn't keep up with a R8 lol

Now I'm thinking about aftermarket cams. What you guys think about prayoonto stg3 cams on a high boost turbo ?
    I found an interesting deal on them and I didn't have enough time to read about cams (and that is pretty extensive reading, btw).
    My main concern is the chain tensioner... Because there is no final word on why do they fail (even the reinforced ones), which cams are that aggressive on them and how to fix once and for all that issue.

So please leave your !
    Welcome back!

I have no experience with Prayoonto cams, I'll contact some people and see what I can find out for you

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Feedback Score
    Well...
    Maybe isn't time for cams.
    Had to machine my cylinder head and discovered that the first machine shop I took the head earlier this year did a lame job. At least this time will be alright, but the head reached the service limit.
    And for that, I prefer to wait a bit for a cheap head and the go for cams and stuff.

Now it's time for the 7670... And to upgrade my gearbox. Unfortunately, I can't afford PPG / Albins, but here in my country, there is this guy who does gearboxes for our national stock car league. The good thing is that he can do custom ratios!
    But I can't decide which ones... Any suggestions ?

I have in mind certain objectives:
    600whp / Street and drag racing

I'll try to upload my spreadsheet to show what options I've been thinking

But for now the ratios I know:

Albins

Albins (RSX 5th and 6th)

I had the PPG ratios, but It's lost somewhere here in my pc...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast