Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 6

Thread: Poita's FA5 Turbo Build (Pic heavy)

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poita View Post
    Well...
    Maybe isn't time for cams.
    Had to machine my cylinder head and discovered that the first machine shop I took the head earlier this year did a lame job. At least this time will be alright, but the head reached the service limit.
    And for that, I prefer to wait a bit for a cheap head and the go for cams and stuff.

Now it's time for the 7670... And to upgrade my gearbox. Unfortunately, I can't afford PPG / Albins, but here in my country, there is this guy who does gearboxes for our national stock car league. The good thing is that he can do custom ratios!
    But I can't decide which ones... Any suggestions ?

I have in mind certain objectives:
    600whp / Street and drag racing

I'll try to upload my spreadsheet to show what options I've been thinking

But for now the ratios I know:

Albins

Albins (RSX 5th and 6th)

I had the PPG ratios, but It's lost somewhere here in my pc...
    My ratios are PPG
    1ST-2.6
    2ND-1.6
    3RD-1.15
    4TH-0.909
    BASE RSX 5TH AND TSX 6TH
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well...
    Maybe isn't time for cams.
    Had to machine my cylinder head and discovered that the first machine shop I took the head earlier this year did a lame job. At least this time will be alright, but the head reached the service limit.
    And for that, I prefer to wait a bit for a cheap head and the go for cams and stuff.

Now it's time for the 7670... And to upgrade my gearbox. Unfortunately, I can't afford PPG / Albins, but here in my country, there is this guy who does gearboxes for our national stock car league. The good thing is that he can do custom ratios!
    But I can't decide which ones... Any suggestions ?

I have in mind certain objectives:
    600whp / Street and drag racing

I'll try to upload my spreadsheet to show what options I've been thinking

But for now the ratios I know:

Albins

Albins (RSX 5th and 6th)

I had the PPG ratios, but It's lost somewhere here in my pc...
    The stock ratios with a 4.0 FD may work very well for you.

Feedback Score
    [MENTION=56]PetefromtheStreets[/MENTION] is all about gear ratios. You plan on dog gears I suppose? Because that would be the way to go. There is a website for gear ratios and speed, including your FD of course. Petey streety probably knows it well

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoolin_VTEC View Post
    [MENTION=56]PetefromtheStreets[/MENTION] is all about gear ratios. You plan on dog gears I suppose? Because that would be the way to go. There is a website for gear ratios and speed, including your FD of course. Petey streety probably knows it well
    Lmao. Yea I have dogs now. And that website is Mfactory.com/gearcalculator
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys !!
    Almk's suggestions has been on my mind for a while, easiest and simpler than the other options.

For the dogbox option, I don't think I have the guts lol
    I have to use the car at least 2 times / week to work... That's at least 1 hour of traffic jam punching 1st and 2nd gears and hearing that whistling from the straight cut gears

But I agree, that on drag racing/road racing, they are awesome!

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the 4.0 FD and I love it
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the input guys !!
    Almk's suggestions has been on my mind for a while, easiest and simpler than the other options.

For the dogbox option, I don't think I have the guts lol
    I have to use the car at least 2 times / week to work... That's at least 1 hour of traffic jam punching 1st and 2nd gears and hearing that whistling from the straight cut gears

But I agree, that on drag racing/road racing, they are awesome!
    After seeing many different gear set installs over the years, I suggest looking at your future goals (assuming they will be achieved, of course) and making your tranny setup around that. Many have gone a long time with OEM gears (axles included), many have not. Likewise goes for PPGs, Albins, etc. Dog gear sets are drivable for DD's. I have many friends with these setups with no complaints. Gear noise may be loud for some, and not bad for others. Think about your driving habits, what you'll be using the car for and how often, etc. Proper break-in periods matter a lot as well. What I'm getting at is: just don't kick yourself in the ass later based on your decision. If you have any questions, ideas, etc., please post on here. No question is stupid, and there are never too many. We're all very happy to help

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedK20 View Post
    After seeing many different gear set installs over the years, I suggest looking at your future goals (assuming they will be achieved, of course) and making your tranny setup around that. Many have gone a long time with OEM gears (axles included), many have not. Likewise goes for PPGs, Albins, etc. Dog gear sets are drivable for DD's. I have many friends with these setups with no complaints. Gear noise may be loud for some, and not bad for others. Think about your driving habits, what you'll be using the car for and how often, etc. Proper break-in periods matter a lot as well. What I'm getting at is: just don't kick yourself in the ass later based on your decision. If you have any questions, ideas, etc., please post on here. No question is stupid, and there are never too many. We're all very happy to help

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 6