Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast

Thread: Si Speed 317's 400whp Daily Driver

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sorry for not getting back to you guys, haven't checked my own build thread in a while. I'm too excited about everyone elses!

Here's an update:
    I've been boost creeping like a mad man. 4th gear, on only wastegate, runs perfect until 7500rpm - then it creeps 13psi to 19psi! So boost cut is set at 16psi until this issue is fixed. So, it's winter and we all do work, so here's my simplest solution for fixing this creepy creep issue. Oh, and I decided to become mathematical.

My current setup is a bish of a creeper, and there is literally no room for another wastegate, and I really don't want to have to take the downpipe off to make a larger wastegate port etc, so I bought a 38mm-to-44mm wastegate adapter (cnc'd from solid billet steel) from treadstone for $42:

I figured this was the simplest, easiest, and cheapest fix, and will, at least, help reduce boost creep. Comma crazy! Anyway, using the cir***ference formula (C = pi x d), I found that a 38mm wastegate has a circ. of 119.32mm and a 44mm wastegate has a circ. of 138.16mm. Using the area formula (A = pi x r²), a 38mm wastegate has an area of 1133.54mm² and a 44mm wastegate has an area of 1519.76mm². That's an area increase of 386.22mm², which is a 34% increase. I decided to see what this would look like, to the best of my ability:

Will that help a lot? Seems like it should do a good bit. But, having a long dumptube won't help, the shorter the better in this case. So, I'll be making a custom dumptube from the 44mm wastegate that dumps straight to the ground. The only thing hold me back in this setup is the wastegate port that leads to the wastegate - it's rather small. But, this is my attempt to fix this issue. Worse case scenario - if this isn't a good enough fix, I'll have to just change the wastegate port to a 44mm. We'll see what happens.

If anyone has any comments/questions/concerns, post em up!

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Nice work Dan!

Feedback Score
    I had similar issues with my 35r on a Full Race T4 ts manifold with twin 44 mm Tial gates . I am assuming you have checked the waste gate diaphragm and checked for any leaks in any of the vac lines or at any connections at couplers ect.... I had a few leaks in my synapse engineering push locks . I actually found 5 leaks by using a tools I have for testing outboard motor lower units to find leaks it allowed me to both pressurize and apply vacuum to my vacuum block up to 30 psi either way and by spraying soapy water at connections I found my leaks easily .I called synapse they sent me new fittings .It didn't totally stop the creep but its very minimal now and the car stopped hitting boost cut in 4 th .

Feedback Score
    ^ Damn, that's one reason I wouldn't run push-locks. But Si Speed 317's gate setup is a divorced flange from the turbo. Oddest setup I've ever seen, and definitely a creeper with a 38mm gate. 44 should definitely relieve some creep, hopefully a lot.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey guys, quick update. Car got hit two weeks ago again, some lady backed into it while I was at work. Not too bad, just my driver's side door, mirror, fender, and rim. Car is currently in the shop getting fixed; I was given a rental car to drive. Here's where the update turns bad: on Sunday, 12/18/11, I was involved in a bad car accident. I was making a turn during a yellow light, and someone in opposite traffic switched lanes and sped up to make the light - and drove straight into me (going ~55 in a 35) and sent me straight into a pole. I broke my left femur and two vertebrae in my neck, aside from some misc cuts and bruises. My girlfriend was in the car with me but she only sustained minor cuts and bruises. Long story short: I was in the hospital for 10 days, had surgery on my leg, I now have a titanium rod throughout my femur, and need to wear a neck brace for the next 6 weeks. Hopefully, after tons of physical therapy, I'll be able to get back to normal in 3 months. Things could definitely be worse.

Update on my car: Once she's out of the body shop, again, I'll be installing my stage 4 clutch, stainless clutch line, 44mm wastegate, and dumptube. I'll keep everyone up to date!

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

My Ruckus Build

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good luck! and Get well soon!

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey man, thanks! Going to be a long recovery, and all I want to do is just drive my Si I've been pushing with the physical therapy so hopefully it'll speed up a bit. Only thing I need to speed up is time.

Side note: I've been playing original XBoX since I got home because my brother is the one with the 360. He found all my old games, but all my Need For Speed games aren't in the cases! Such an annoyance. I've been asking all my friends locally if they have any I can borrow. Can't wait to beat NFS all over again lol

My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Shit, that's insane man. Thank God you're alive, I wish you a speedy recovery. Hows the Si doing in the body shop?

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I saw that on fb man. I'm really sorry to hear that but glad both you and your girlfriend are ok. And let me know if you need anything. I'm a few hundred miles away but the offers there.

Wish a speedy recovery for you.
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    I saw that on fb man. I'm really sorry to hear that but glad both you and your girlfriend are ok. And let me know if you need anything. I'm a few hundred miles away but the offers there.

Wish a speedy recovery for you.
    Thanks bro, I appreciate the help! Sorry I just saw this.

On a more positive note, I plan on going to as many car shows as possible and get some legit trophies to bring back! In doing so, I need to not only get to cleaning up and tidying my engine bay (cleaning with Simple Green I've heard is great, I need to figure out how to tuck my injector wires, etc.) but I need to check out the tricks of the trade. I've seen people use mirrors by their wheels on the floor for some added bling/attention, but I'm looking for some other good stuff. I figured Spaz would definitely be one to know. If you guys can chime in, I would really appreciate it.

I have never entered an actual car show, so I don't even know where to look to find them in my area. Any and all info is definitely appreciated!

My Ruckus Build

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast