Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What Oil Weight Are You Using?

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
    boosted technically run high mileage since they are pushing twice as much.. hence why high mileage is ideal for turbos although changing it every 2.5k-3k miles still required.
    I thought turbo guys typically run extended performance. Anyone else chime on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    So what's your guys take on that ENEOS 0w20??

Tapatalk FTMFW!
    0W20 is way to low. OEM recommended oil weight is 5W30, so going to a lower full temperature weight is not a good idea. We should be running at least 5W30, ideally 0W40 - 5W40 according to my tuner. I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

Just for everyones information, this is what oil weights mean:
    Let's say you're running 5W30. The W stands for winter, the 5 is the weight of the oil when you're engine is absolutely cold. The 30 is the weight of the oil when your motor is at full operating temperature. The weights of the oil don't actually change, it's the viscosity that they correspond to. Meaning 5 is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at cold start-up, and it ranges to 30, which is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at full operating temperature. Hope this clears things up!
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 04-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Feedback Score
    Right now I'm running Mobil 1 European car formula 0W-40. It's engineered for small displacement turbo motors. But I will be switching to the new Amsoil European car formula 5W-30 next oil change.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    I thought turbo guys typically run extended performance. Anyone else chime on this?

0W20 is way to low. OEM recommended oil weight is 5W30, so going to a lower full temperature weight is not a good idea. We should be running at least 5W30, ideally 0W40 - 5W40 according to my tuner. I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

Just for everyones information, this is what oil weights mean:
    Let's say you're running 5W30. The W stands for winter, the 5 is the weight of the oil when you're engine is absolutely cold. The 30 is the weight of the oil when your motor is at full operating temperature. The weights of the oil don't actually change, it's the viscosity that they correspond to. Meaning 5 is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at cold start-up, and it ranges to 30, which is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at full operating temperature. Hope this clears things up!
    Good info about the oil. I actually didn't know that.

So my tuner is recommending me use the 0w20 but the internals are aftermarket....does that change my situation at all?

Tapatalk FTMFW!
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan143 View Post
    Right now I'm running Mobil 1 European car formula 0W-40. It's engineered for small displacement turbo motors. But I will be switching to the new Amsoil European car formula 5W-30 next oil change.
    Any specific reason?
    Good info about the oil. I actually didn't know that.

So my tuner is recommending me use the 0w20 but the internals are aftermarket....does that change my situation at all?

Tapatalk FTMFW!
    I dont believe so, maybe a little but not much. I'll let Mike chime in on that one. He's my tuner

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Any specific reason?

I dont believe so, maybe a little but not much. I'll let Mike chime in on that one. He's my tuner
    Ok so ENEOS's 0w20 is comparable to others 5w20. So it's not too light of an oil. I was told I may need to change to 0w50

Tapatalk FTMFW!
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok so ENEOS's 0w20 is comparable to others 5w20. So it's not too light of an oil. I was told I may need to change to 0w50

Tapatalk FTMFW!
    But the viscosity of the oil at full operating temp on the stock motor is 30, if anything yours should be the same or higher.

Feedback Score
    The viscosity is too low for turbo! If the manufacturer suggests 5w-30 on the stock engine then if anything I would move up to 5w-40 with boost

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    What do u guys think of running eneos 0w-50?

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I honestly don't know. I know Mike suggested I run 0w40 or 5w40, never 50 though. Plus, eneos is figgin expensive.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast