Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 96

Thread: Second Gear is a weak link

  1. #21
    Newbie froggyfredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    columbia south carolina
    Age
    30
    Posts
    47
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Honestly there was someone on clubrsx who had a si trans I could ask him how much for the main shaft if you'd like?

    s4 petefromthestreets
    thanks for the offer man but i feel kinda uneasy puttiing a used mainshaft in its not to much of a headache to get our trans out but its not something i really dont have time to keep doing ya know?

  2. #22
    Formerly "Adm_rsx"


    PetefromtheStreets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,590
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Second Gear is a weak link

    Quote Originally Posted by froggyfredd View Post
    thanks for the offer man but i feel kinda uneasy puttiing a used mainshaft in its not to much of a headache to get our trans out but its not something i really dont have time to keep doing ya know?
    Ok no problem. I understand not wanting to keep tearing the teams out being I did it twice in one weekend. Not fun at all.

    s4 petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

  3. #23
    Newbie froggyfredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    columbia south carolina
    Age
    30
    Posts
    47
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Ok no problem. I understand not wanting to keep tearing the teams out being I did it twice in one weekend. Not fun at all.

    s4 petefromthestreets
    jeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz lol NOT FUN!!! INDEED!

  4. #24
    I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Si Speed 317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,001
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Second Gear is a weak link

    I just realized this thread is over 2 years old! #GuruStatus

    Second gear is still, in fact, a weak link.

    "As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

    One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

  5. #25
    Junior Member snizzletoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Enola, PA
    Posts
    204
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    I just realized this thread is over 2 years old! #GuruStatus

    Second gear is still, in fact, a weak link.
    Depends on your build, 2nd gear is the weak link for N/A and S/C because they hook considerably better than TC guys. We break 4th

  6. #26
    Formerly "Adm_rsx"


    PetefromtheStreets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,590
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Second Gear is a weak link

    Even all motor I didn't hook well in 2nd. Literally the torque sheared every tooth off of the mainshaft and quite a few off of the countershaft as well. And don't forget some of us SC guys are making big power too

    s4 petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

  7. #27
    Newbie froggyfredd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    columbia south carolina
    Age
    30
    Posts
    47
    Feedback Score
    0
    hey dudes i found this link on 8th civic and its badass!!!!!! shows u aton of useful stuff to do to rebuild you transmission. heres the link:
    http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-h...tear-down.html

  8. #28
    I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Si Speed 317's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,001
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

    Re: Second Gear is a weak link

    Quote Originally Posted by froggyfredd View Post
    hey dudes i found this link on 8th civic and its badass!!!!!! shows u aton of useful stuff to do to rebuild you transmission. heres the link:
    http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-h...tear-down.html
    Thanks fredd! Can you repost that thread in the DIY section on here? You can give credit to the original poster, but posting that here would be great

    "As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

    One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

  9. #29
    Senior Member SAX JONZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    684
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ok Spaz, how long does it take to break 2nd gear? I drive like normal, I know how to shift and I never drop the clutch. I am sure that I will not have the patience to continue on in that fashion breaking second gear. I heard a few bad things about albins and that there was something else that was better? I dunno. I haven't gone down that road yet. What have you gotten to?

  10. #30
    Master Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,889
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SAX JONZ View Post
    Ok Spaz, how long does it take to break 2nd gear? I drive like normal, I know how to shift and I never drop the clutch. I am sure that I will not have the patience to continue on in that fashion breaking second gear. I heard a few bad things about albins and that there was something else that was better? I dunno. I haven't gone down that road yet. What have you gotten to?
    My second gear broke like 6 weeks ago. It happened out of nowhere, and I wasn't shifting hard or anything, so it can happen when you least expect it. PPG and albins both offer forged gears for our transmissions but they are extremely expensive, expect to pay about $6000 when all said and done on a built trans, possibly more. For that price, you can break many a stock transmissions before adding up to that cost There is a guy on honda-tech that treats stock gear sets and from what I've read has had really good success making gears significantly stronger. I'm going to have a set treated by him and see how it works.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •