Thread: How to re-wire a fuel pump off a relay

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

How to re-wire a fuel pump off a relay

Had this stickied over on ephatch.com and whant to share this with ya since its very important mod.

Installing a dedicated voltage supply line for your fuel pump

Contributed By: Enginebasics.com

When putting in an aftermarket fuel pump or looking to get more fuel out of your factory pump, one mod worth doing is re-wiring that fuel pump. The purpose of this is to make sure that the fuel pump is getting a good, clean voltage that won’t fluctuate or change based on other electrical conditions the car is going through. What I am saying is that we want to make sure that our fuel pump is receiving 14 volts when in use to be sure that our fuel pump is working as efficiently as possible.

The factory wiring of the fuel pump is tied in with many other parts of the cars electrical system. If there are any fluctuations in voltage in this system, the fuel pump will also be affected. Just think about when you have the radio turned up, or running the high beam lights, or maybe when the alternator starts to weaken. When we are running a performance car at the limits, having a fuel pump start to lose voltage, and therefore lose flow, can cause catastrophic problems. Motors running right on the edge of tuning could go slightly lean enough to start detonation in the motor and cause a total failure. The best way to avoid this is to wire the fuel pump to have a dedicated voltage line right off the battery so that it consistently performs.

How to start Re-wiring your fuel pump

The steps of re-wiring your fuel pump are to first get to your fuel pumps wiring. At the wiring you need to find the 12v supply wire from the ECU to the fuel pump. Once that wire has been found cut that wire so that you now have half of that wiring running to the fuel pump, and the other half running to the factory ECU.

Choosing a Relay

The relay you need should be a four-prong relay with at least 14-gauge wiring. You do not want to get a relay that cannot handle the amperage that your fuel pump might pull causing the relay to fail, and you to be stranded on the side of the road.

Wiring in the Fuel Pump Relay

The relay should have 4 pins on it. They are usually labeled 30, 85, 86, and 87. Steps:

1. Wire pin 85 of the relay to the 12v supply wire from the stock ECU that you just cut. This 12v wire will now energize the relay to turn on. So now instead of the stock ecu energizing the fuel pump, it will energize this relay.

2. Wire pin 86 to a good ground on the car. Be sure it is a good clean ground, and use appropriately sized wire so you don’t burn up the relay. In fact you should be using appropriately sized wire for all of this.

3. Run a dedicated wire from your battery to pin 30 on the relay.

4. Run a wire from pin 87 to your factory wire that you cut that runs to the fuel pump.

Now to explain what you just did. The relay is just like a light switch. Anytime it receives 12 volts on pin 85, it will turn on the switch and make continuity between pin 86 and pin 87 on the relay. Being that pin 86 is wired straight to the battery this will send a nice, clean voltage straight to the battery with no other obstructions to the fuel pump. Once the car is shut off, pin 85 will lose its 12 volts causing the coil inside the relay to close and the light switch will then be turned off cutting the continuity between pins 86 and 87, which will then cut the voltage supply to the fuel pump. Ingenious right?

If you have any more questions on how to do this particular modification to your cars factory wiring harness, click the contact us button and send us an email.

Questions we have recieved:

To Enginebasics.com

Was reading your fuel pump rewire, and was wondering what you do if you are running two fuel pumps. I have an in tank fuel pump, and a inline fuel pump. Any help would be great. Thanks

Dear Reader,

IF you ran large enough wire and a relay to handle the current (amps) of both pumps than you would run the 12v out of the relay to both pumps to turn them on simultaneously. Only perform this if you calculated the gauge of wire run to match the amp draw of both pumps though and the relay size as well.

Good luck,

Enginebasics Team!

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heres a quick picture of how i have my relay mounted

Feedback Score
    Repped! Good write up, i was gonna do this one but you beat me to it!

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    Heres a quick picture of how i have my relay mounted

Where do you get that wire loom from?
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Where do you get that wire loom from?
    My buddy ryan actually supplied me with the loom and i believe he stated he purchased it off amazon.

Feedback Score
    i did this last year. Good upgrade over the dinky oem wires.
    2001 Boosted Built k20a2 Billet BB 6766BB

2013=579whp 406trq @ 24 psi c16
    10.87@137mph

2014= 510whp 370trq @ 18psi pump gas

2015= 7xx @ 30psi??