Page 1 of 88 11151 ... LastLast

Thread: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

aLmk's Turbo FA5

Alright decided to make a full build thread now that I am moving away from my first 'budget' build. This first post details everything that is on the car now and was part of my first turbo build that was on a budget. I recently bought a new setup that I put on the car at the end of March with the help of sniz and Steve!

Round 1 - Old Build

First of all I'd like to thank everyone on the boards here that has helped me along the way. I have been a regular on this board for a few years now and I would never have been able to do this without the knowledge of some of the members on here, you know who you are! Particular thanks go to Mucter and Supa Ninja who paved the way of the greddy upgrade builds! Anyways onto the turbosis.....

I bought a used greddy kit last fall (2011) and I'm shooting for 400whp with upgraded turbo and accessories.

Comments, suggestions, and criticisms welcome!

Turbo Stuff
    • Garrett GT 3076-iwg
    • TSI manifold ceramic coated
    • Fast-turbo oil return kit
    • Greddy intercooler piping
    • Greddy type rz bov
    • SRT v.1 intercooler
    • 3'' downpipe
    • 3'' intake
    • PTP turbo blanket
    • Omni Power 4 bar map
    • MAC boost control solenoid
    • AEM boost and wideband
    • All new couplers and t-bolt clamps

Fuel System
    • ID 1000cc injectors
    • Walbro 255
    • Crushed FPR
    • Flashpro - Vit Tuned

Suspension
    • Buddy Club N+ Coils
    • Hasport Mounts - 62a
    • Energy Suspension LCA bushings
    • Ingalls camber plates and bolts
    • Stock rims with 235/40/17 star specs

Misc.
    • NGK iridium plugs - 9
    • Omni Power CMC
    • Hybrid Racing Cable Bushings
    • TWM Short Shifter with bushings
    • SS clutch line
    • Exedy Stage 1 clutch
    • Full-Race 3'' exhaust

Turbo setup installation completed 7/17/12 by Positive Performance.
    Link to old thread if anyone wants to see discussion there: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbo...get-build.html

These should help...

First track night:

First pass:

Second pass (against a zl1 camaro):

Pump gas 93 e-dyno (no quick spool):

C16 race fuel e-dyno:

Dyno sheet from IMW dyno day 9/22/12. Pump gas 93 in 87* temps according to dyno:

New stuff: (too bad it doesn't fit)
    Last edited by aLmk; 06-18-2013 at 07:23 AM.

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Round 2

Turbo Stuff
    • Sheepey Built T3 tubular manifold
    • Boost Junkyz 2.5" IC piping
    • Boost Junkyz vertical flow intercooler and replacement crash beam
    • Boost Junkyz 3'' downpipe
    • Boost Junkyz 4'' intake
    • Garrett GT-3076r
    • Turbosmart 45mm wastegate
    • Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
    • Custom oil lines with AN fittings
    • PTP turbo blanket
    • Omni Power 4 bar map
    • OBD1 IAT sensor
    • Vittuned 4 port boost control solenoid
    • AEM boost and wideband gauges
    • Couplers and t-bolt clamps

Fuel System
    • ID 1000cc injectors
    • Walbro 255
    • Crushed FPR
    • Flashpro - Vit Tuned

Suspension
    • Buddy Club N+ Coils
    • Hasport Mounts - 62a

Misc.
    • NGK iridium plugs - heat range 9
    • Stock CMC with -3AN ss line
    • Clutch Masters FX-350
    • Full-Race 3'' exhaust
    • Power Slot slotted rotors
    • Hawk HPS pads
    • Custom slashcut evac system done by me

Install date is March 23rd.

Wrinkle black ic pipes and mirror red bov cap

Install pics:

This was a total PITA. Had to try several different fittings before I found something that fit and didn't kink. I ended up using a 30* (smallest angle AN fitting made) off the turbo to a straight fitting on the pan. If someone else has this kit I suggest doing it this way, or the way the original owner had his, which was a 45* welded into the oil pan connected to a straight hose end connected to a 45* off the turbo. Either one will fit.

I got a 90* fitting to clear the chassis for this slashcut.

And I had to have my buddy come over with his grinder and cut this stock exhaust hanger thing.

Old plugs, going to use them for the first bits of tuning. Once serious full throttle starts I will put my new ones in.

Alright so car is completely done except for axle.
    First start:
    First start - YouTube
    Tools used to remove axle nut, check out that new 3' cheater bar

And this is what my passenger axle looks like. Mad at myself for tearing the rubber piece to begin with. O well live and learn.

A couple weeks ago on April 23rd my second gear was destroyed.

Car is at shop getting a new trans put in. While this is being done I had a CM FX350 put in as well to replace my Exedy stage 1. Hoping the car is ready for pickup in the next few days (5/29/13).

Car is back, breaking in clutch, have about 200 more miles to go, once that's done tuning will begin. (6/18/13)

4 psi teaser:

Well the whole reason the creep was gone was because a hole in a coupler was offsetting, once I found out I was leaking, and replaced the coupler the creep came back. Because of this I ordered a custom Sheepey Manifold that will place the turbo in the same spot as my manifold, but design a better wastegate neck.

Picture I received from Sheepey of my new manifold (8/20/13):

Just need to wait for it to be ceramic coated and for it to ship from CA to DE.

While I'm waiting for the manifold to arrive, doing some maintenance... replacing timing chain, tensioner, and guides because I had chain slap, job still in progress (8/23/13):

Also decided to inject the front mount while the car is down for the timing chain job. Here is a before pic, it looks pretty damn worn

Once this job is done I will be taking the subframe down to remove the old turbo manifold as well as maybe taking the transmission out (if I can't find a second gear within the next couple days) to have the gears treated and swap over to a 4.3 FD.
    Made some progress today (8/25/13):

The new chain, tensioner, and guides are in as well as the circuit hero timing chain guide as pictured above. It was kind of a pain to get the cams lined up correctly without the tool since it is on back order from honda.... This is as far as I got today, had to stop because I need to replace this o-ring and don't have the part:

Went down to VA to buy slicks (8/31/13):

9/6/13:
    Finished the chain job a few days ago, and got the mount installed:

Has a slight gap, but I'm pretty sure it was there before, gonna see if I can get rid of it by loosening the other mount:

Also received my manifold from Sheepey, it looks fantastic!

Looks like recirculating the gate will be pretty straight forward, leaning heavily towards this route:

Also I mounted the manifold and turbo up to check for fitment, the downpipe fits fine too, but my phone died, so no picture of that:

Compare the above pics of the Sheepey manifold to the Boost Junkyz manifold, I think it is pretty damn clear as why I was having boost creep problems, I suggest Boost Junkyz revise their wastegate port:

Also got a new 4'' filter, smallest one I know of, should fit much better:

In the next couple days I need to finish a couple things: install new stock cmc, install turbo components and decide about dumptube, get that fabbed/recirculated, depending on time I may check my valve clearances, I also am waiting on my some wrinkle black powder to arrive at my powder coater to get some of my IC pipes redone since they are fairly scratched up from taking them on and off so much, also considering getting the VC redone since it is scratched up a tad as well.
    9/10/13:
    Dropped off manifold, turbo, and downpipe off at Positive Performance to have him fabricate my recirculated wastegate. Looks like it should be fairly straight forward as I was able to take the whole assembly off the car without loosening the downpipe so the 'clock' of everything was preserved:

Also put in a new stock cmc today to replace my omni cmc, still using the same -3 AN SS line.
    9/14/13:
    Picked up my recirculated gate:

9/15/13:
    Put everything back on the car:

Those are the only pictures I took, but I got the whole turbo setup back in, the subframe back on, the drive belt back on and all lines plumbed how I like and everything good to go, EXCEPT, when I went to install the valve cover, I could not, for the life of me, find the valve cover gasket I bought a week or so ago, so it had to stop there.
    9/16/13:
    After getting the subframe back on the car, and the torque mounts attached to the motor, I realized the exhaust/downpipe was no longer fitting properly, the flex joint was fully flexed, thus not doing it's job, and the exhaust was being pushed against the underbody of the car. Fortunately, I was able to loosen the flex join on the full-race exhaust so I could spin that around to a position in which it mated with the downpipe better, fixing all problems. This was awesome, because if this didn't work I would have had to either get the recirculated dump welded on a different angle, or modify the downpipe in some way, but it all fits now and even better than before, there is more clearance from the downpipe to the subframe than there has ever been, and the exhaust doesn't even hit the underbody of the car even if I move it quite violently. Also I picked up another valve cover gasket and have the car pretty much fully assembled at this point, the only things left to do are fill it with oil, add/burp coolant, connect steering column, and torque axle nuts.

The new small filter actually fits! It's still really tight though:

Here is the clearance I was talking about earlier, it's tough to tell in the picture, but the gap is quite a bit larger than previously:

9/17/13 12:30am:
    Got everything back together, filled her with oil, added some coolant, reflashed the ecu and she started right up! No issues thus far, was able to go to rev limit in 3rd gear hitting at most 7 psi or so (on a 3 psi spring) so still some 'creep' but the true creep nemesis is now gone! I can deal with 7 psi in third, and the recirculated gate may have played a part in the slightly higher boost levels. Car is SUPER quiet with the recirculated gate, all I can hear is turbo :turbospin:
    9/19/13:

9/20/13:
    Friend of mine came over, I took him for a quick spin and took a little video, nothing special.

Also took a quick video on the way home later that night just to show the responsiveness of this GT30. In the video I am in 4th gear the whole time, and as you should be able to hear, I go from minimal throttle input to full throttle, just look at how fast it builds boost. I guess I shoulda got an EFR

9/24/13:

9/26/13:

9/30/13:

10/2/13:
    Went to the track for the first time with the new setup and the first time using slicks, had a great time, slicks are awesome!! Here's my timeslip from my best run, it definitely has more in it!

10/17/13:
    Went to the track again; was so packed and there were a ton of break downs. Only was able to make on pass :sadbanana: So close to my goal of 11s with a 12.044 This was with the same tune as last time, just a bit colder outside.

10/31/13:

Pulled the motor to finally figure out what that 'chain slap' noise was I had been experiencing that wasn't actually chain slap.
    11/19/13:
    While spending what little free time I had at night tearing the motor down I eventually found the problem:

Spun rod bearing on rod 1.

11/27/13:
    Word is back from the machine shop, everything is reusable. The block can stay at stock bore just rehoned which is great as that will be stronger. The head is also in great shape, won't need any decking and they are going to recondition it and do a 3 angle valve job. All the springs are still in factory spec.
    1/13/14:
    Put some work in on my transmission today:

Gonna finish taking it apart tomorrow to swap my treated gears in and put my 4.3 final drive in.
    Round 3
    Time for a built motor :wigglesmiley:

Motor
    • 86mm bore k20z3 - stock sleeves
    • 10:1 JE pistons
    • Manley Turbo Tuff I-beam rods
    • ACL race bearings
    • ARP head studs and rod bolts
    • OEM head gasket
    • OEM crank
    • Stock cams
    • Circuit Hero lower timing chain guide
    • Stock reconditioned head with 3 angle valve job
    • Modified rsx-s oil pump

Turbo Stuff
    • Sheepey Built T3 tubular manifold
    • Boost Junkyz 2.5" IC piping
    • Boost Junkyz vertical flow intercooler and replacement crash beam
    • Boost Junkyz 3'' downpipe
    • Boost Junkyz 4'' intake
    • Garrett GT-3076r
    • Turbosmart 45mm wastegate
    • Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
    • Custom oil lines with AN fittings
    • PTP turbo blanket
    • Omni Power 4 bar map
    • OBD1 IAT sensor
    • Vittuned 4 port boost control solenoid with Vittuned boost control booster
    • AEM boost and wideband gauges
    • Couplers and t-bolt clamps

Transmission
    • Stock gears with 4.3 FD treated by racerstev
    • All new OEM bearings
    • OEM synchros
    • OEM fluid

Fuel System
    • No nonsense fuel return
    • ID 1000cc injectors
    • Walbro 255
    • Aeromotive bypass external fuel pressure regulator
    • -6AN feed line, stock line as return
    • Flashpro - Vit Tuned

Suspension
    • Buddy Club N+ Coils
    • Hasport Mounts - 70a

Misc.
    • NGK iridium plugs - heat range 9
    • Stock CMC with -3AN ss line
    • Clutch Masters FX-350
    • Full-Race 3'' exhaust
    • Power Stop drilled and slotted rotors
    • Hawk HPS pads
    • Custom slashcut evac system done by me

3/6/14:

3/7/14:
    Timed motor:

3/814:
    Motor is timed and sealed up, time for all the stuff on the outside of the motor...

3/10/14:

3/12/14:
    Shaved IAT

3/13/14:

3/14/14:

And one I took after getting it all bolted down:

3/21/14:
    Life!

5/2/14:
    Fuel return and car finished, time to finish tuning!

6/21/14:
    Video from this weekend in OC, Mexico :hiding:

6/25/14:

7/17/14:
    Installed a started testing Vit's soon to be released boost control booster. This thing is basically an amplifier for the boost control solenoid circuit as the signal from the stock ecu is not powerful enough to properly operate the solenoid. This gives much more consistent boost control, even more effective quick spool, and no more up and down boost through the pull like before:

Look at the insane torque increas in the mid range, nothing else on the car was changed, just the booster and an adjustment of the tune:

7/20/14:
    Something broke on the car, likely in the transmission, had the car towed home.
    7/23/14:
    Pulled trans and discovered a broken 4th gear, upon initial inspection everything else appears to be fine. Will be cleaning it up today and really taking a close look at things. Decided to order a new 2nd gear as well since they are no longer on back order and the engagement teeth on my 2nd have certainly seen better days.

8/8/14:
    Trans reassembled with brand new 4th gear and brand new 2nd gear set.

8/20/14:
    Went down to the Wednesday night test and tune at the Cecil County Dragway.
    Time slips (car 234):

Best pass (run 3):
    Last edited by aLmk; 08-24-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    luv the dp

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. I hope this gets shipped out by tomorrow. I'm trying to get moving on some things so I can install it on the weekend of march 21.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

aLmk's Turbo FA5

I like that the fmic comes with a crash bar as well. Very nice kit. I wanted to ask you about your tires as well. With a 235/40 did you have an increase in traction over your stock tire size? I kind of like the height of my 235/45's
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I have had 215/45 and 225/45 tires in the car in the past and my current summer tires are 235/40. The only issue with comparing them is they have all been different tires. I can say my star specs in 235/40 held traction amazingly well. Now I don't see why a 235/40 would have more or less traction than a 235/45. They are the same width.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

aLmk's Turbo FA5

Same width sure but overall diameter is different. Which is what I'm curious about.
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ya idk how overall diameter would affect traction. All I can tell you is I have been more than pleased with these 235/40 star specs.

Feedback Score
    what size turbo is that? garret?
    2001 Boosted Built k20a2 Billet BB 6766BB

2013=579whp 406trq @ 24 psi c16
    10.87@137mph

2014= 510whp 370trq @ 18psi pump gas

2015= 7xx @ 30psi??

Feedback Score

aLmk's Turbo FA5

Quote Originally Posted by boosted_teg View Post
    what size turbo is that? garret?
    It's a garrett gt3076r