Page 70 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20607080 ... LastLast

Thread: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    Actually that will work fine as well so long as the drain line bung in the pan is above the oil level and I just crank it over for a little bit .30 seconds shouldn't hurt that starter at all .Like I said it may be less than 30 seconds it just seems like forever when your waiting for oil pressure

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok thanks!

Unfortunately progress today has been slower than I'd hoped. I am not 100% convinced my motor is timed correctly... I did just recently replace the timing chain, tensioner, and guides so I recall doing the process rather well, but this time it doesn't seem to be lining up quite as well and I'm not sure if it's my judgement, or if something is actually wrong. I have a couple pictures to explain what I'm talking about.
    The first 2 pictures were taken with the cams locked in place and the tensioner still locked:

This next one is after release the tensioner:

What concerns me is the slack at the top between the 2 cams:

After removing the cam locks the slack is all but gone and the dashes line up better:

Perhaps I am over thinking this but while turning it over by hand it seems as though it may be skipping teeth, although I don't know how it could with the tensioner in place, all guides in place, plus a lower timing chain guide... Can anyone tell me if the color links that you use up top and on the crank sporken ever realign with their original spots? To explain what I mean, see how in this picture, there is still 7 links between the 2 marked spots on the cams, but the colored links are not where they were originally:

I turned the motor over many times (probably 50+) and never got them to line up again like this:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Ok thanks!

Unfortunately progress today has been slower than I'd hoped. I am not 100% convinced my motor is timed correctly... I did just recently replace the timing chain, tensioner, and guides so I recall doing the process rather well, but this time it doesn't seem to be lining up quite as well and I'm not sure if it's my judgement, or if something is actually wrong. I have a couple pictures to explain what I'm talking about.
    The first 2 pictures were taken with the cams locked in place and the tensioner still locked:

This next one is after release the tensioner:

What concerns me is the slack at the top between the 2 cams:

After removing the cam locks the slack is all but gone and the dashes line up better:

Perhaps I am over thinking this but while turning it over by hand it seems as though it may be skipping teeth, although I don't know how it could with the tensioner in place, all guides in place, plus a lower timing chain guide... Can anyone tell me if the color links that you use up top and on the crank sporken ever realign with their original spots? To explain what I mean, see how in this picture, there is still 7 links between the 2 marked spots on the cams, but the colored links are not where they were originally:

I turned the motor over many times (probably 50+) and never got them to line up again like this:

Take a pic of the crank at tdc also and as far as the colored links they take a while to get them to line up again lol many rotations of the crank but its doable I have done it haha so don't worry about that .Just make sure you have 9 links between the dots and post a pic of the crank pulley marks for us and post it .

You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok, Ryan said the same thing about the color links lining up again, that reassures me. Here are the pics you asked about, I think I'm just over thinking this lol

Feedback Score
    Looks right to me

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright thanks for reassuring me, IDK why I'm over thinking this part of the build so much. I just did the timing chain like 6 months ago, the other stuff I've never done before lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Alright thanks for reassuring me, IDK why I'm over thinking this part of the build so much. I just did the timing chain like 6 months ago, the other stuff I've never done before lol
    Oh I understand and nothing wrong with making sure

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup looks good. I tried making my chain line up with the cams and crank too. I felt like if I kept going the fucker was going to start up. Never did accomplish it. I quit after thinking there was no oil in my bearings besides assembly lube.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Cage plus radio member #1
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glad I'm not the only person in their garage hand cranking over and over again for basically nothing

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got a few more things done today. Time to move onto the outside of the motor

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    your good to go homie
    Using promo code "SPOOLBUS" @ checkout when shopping in the eshop will save you money!!

Page 70 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20607080 ... LastLast