Page 60 of 88 FirstFirst ... 10506070 ... LastLast

Thread: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you want valves I actually have supertech valves I'm not using.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Cage plus radio member #1
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    Yes you can disassemble the pump and clean it out

The ring compressor Adam posted is tapered at the bottom like you said

The plastigauge works by installing the parts to be checked while having a small piece of the plastigauge between the parts to be checked you torque it to spec then pull it back apart and measure the thickness of the plastigauge with the scale thats right on the outside of the package the plastigauge comes in I have a pic I 'll find and post

I'd probably just do all supertech with the exception of the valves themselves as oem valves work well .The supertech stuff is proven and pretty well priced and readily available .

ACL's are a one size fits all and generally work pretty well .I have used them twice now in my two builds it is my understanding that oem bearings are just a little more difficult to get the proper sizing but I don't know for certain as I have never used them .

Some people say you need all sorts of tools but if you have a good machine shop check everything and you have common sense and a decent set of tools , a "well calibrated" 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch torque wrenches , a ring file , a ring compressor ,some engine asembly lube and ARP fastener lube then you should be good. I don't doubt your machine shop but if you knew what I just paid to have a valve job, guides installed re surface , and assemble head less the cams ,a block re bore , re hone, o-ringing it , check the rods , check and micro polish the crank you would understand why I would recommend my machine shop in Baltimore. As far as a rod stretch gauge they have been torquing connecting rods for years with out them and I personally don't own one with no plans of buying one either .Some guy s buy all sorts of tools and over think things and often end up screwing shit up .
    Ok thanks for the input and advice. Mind PMing me what that all cost you? I'm going to be talking with the mechanic, hopefully tomorrow, if not very soon about overall budget for the machine work and for the parts I'll need, so that's when I'll make my final call on valve train and where to take the block for machine work.

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    If you want valves I actually have supertech valves I'm not using.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Maybe, to me the bigger concern is the springs, retainers, etc...

Can anyone give me a valve spring 101? LOL I'm so lost when I read about that. IDK what pressure I would need, I also don't know the difference between a dual valve spring setup and a regular one, or the benefits of one over the other. Baiscally:

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post

Can anyone give me a valve spring 101? LOL I'm so lost when I read about that. IDK what pressure I would need, I also don't know the difference between a dual valve spring setup and a regular one, or the benefits of one over the other. Baiscally:
    The advantage of dual valve Springs are they don't allow as much bouncing of the valve or valve float.

There are some called beehive type Springs that work really well. I'll find the video and link it.

I paid around $1400 (they also assembled the motor) for my last motor to be built. Included some new 88mm pistons with HD wrist pins, bore, home, ect ect. Magnaflux rods and block. I didn't go with o-ringing my block. But if it ever comes apart again I will.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The advantage of dual valve Springs are they don't allow as much bouncing of the valve or valve float.

There are some called beehive type Springs that work really well. I'll find the video and link it.

I paid around $1400 (they also assembled the motor) for my last motor to be built. Included some new 88mm pistons with HD wrist pins, bore, home, ect ect. Magnaflux rods and block. I didn't go with o-ringing my block. But if it ever comes apart again I will.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Please make a thread on this in the appropriate section for future community reference

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostedK20 View Post
    Please make a thread on this in the appropriate section for future community reference
    My answer leaves a lot unanswered. I'll make a thread.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Ok, that kind of makes sense. I did see the beehive thing, but didn't know how it worked/what it did.

Damn that's a good price, the fact that I want manley turbo tuff rods is making the cost go up quite a bit since they are about double your typical h beam rods. The o-ringing is something else I'm thinking about, but I have no idea how much it costs or if I will really need it. My intent with this motor build is simplistic reliability, not crazy power numbers. I probably won't even have it tuned for more on the street than it already was making with the stock block, at the limit of traction anyway.

Feedback Score
    Ok, that kind of makes sense. I did see the beehive thing, but didn't know how it worked/what it did.

Damn that's a good price, the fact that I want manley turbo tuff rods is making the cost go up quite a bit since they are about double your typical h beam rods. The o-ringing is something else I'm thinking about, but I have no idea how much it costs or if I will really need it. My intent with this motor build is simplistic reliability, not crazy power numbers. I probably won't even have it tuned for more on the street than it already was making with the stock block, at the limit of traction anyway.
    Have you considered eagle rods, to help you out with the cost

Feedback Score

Adam pretty well answered this already but they help close the valves to prevent piston to valve contact at high rpms .If you call Luke at THmotorsports he can hook you up with everything you need from the springs, seats , retainers ,seals, keepers ,and bronze guides.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    I had my block o ringed I think it was only $120 to do it most people said I didn't need to do it but it's just good insurance imo
    You and that bubble ain't nothin but trouble

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostydc5 View Post
    Have you considered eagle rods, to help you out with the cost
    I have, I also thought about just doing manley H beam rods, but I want to do this once and right in regards to the lower internals. If I go with manley I beam tt rods I will never need to upgrade them again, and they will very likely never break, same with the pistons. If I decided down the road to do head work, I can just take the head off and do that without having to remove the whole motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    Adam pretty well answered this already but they help close the valves to prevent piston to valve contact at high rpms .If you call Luke at THmotorsports he can hook you up with everything you need from the springs, seats , retainers ,seals, keepers ,and bronze guides.

I had my block o ringed I think it was only $120 to do it most people said I didn't need to do it but it's just good insurance imo
    Damn, for $120, I think I'll do that as well.

Page 60 of 88 FirstFirst ... 10506070 ... LastLast