Page 30 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20304080 ... LastLast

Thread: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    Take and make a boost leak tester from home Depot. Connect it to the intake of the turbo. Fill it with 20lbs of pressure from a air compressor and that will expose any leak no matter how small and spray the connections with windex. That will bubble up and show a leak Check all coupler connections and clamps I know having so many of them some don't get tightened as much as others just due to forgetting about them all.

s4 petefromthestreets
    I still don't see how a leak in my charge pipes would cause me to creep to 18 psi. If I had a leak boost would drop not rise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
    I got an email from the mention so here's my 2cents worth. Remove the wastegate and on the bench connect a bike hand pump with a pressure gauge to prove the WG opens correctly and at what pressure. You can also check for the full stroke as you will get creep if the WG is too small, blocked or not opening fully. WG Springs can coil bind if its the incorrect spring. See how long the WG stays open when you stop pumping. It should be a long time if there are no leaks. If you pass this test check the exhaust pipe on both the WG inlet and outlet in case there is a flow reduction from faulty header pipe weld or a blockage. If you have not found anything by this stage I will be surprised. Its important to do each step as I have described so you can eliminate potential faults. Good luck.
    Well this gate has less than 1000 miles. I did do those types of tests on both this and the old gate. They both opened as they are supposed to. The dumptube has no restriction in it. Te manifold however is not setup ideally. If you look at the picture below you can clearly see the exhaust has to make a greater than 90* turn to go out the wastegate port (disregard the red lines)

Feedback Score

aLmk's Turbo FA5

I can understand the frustration man, but I personally ran this exact kit for almost a year and tuned through the blistering AZ summer with our shitty 91 octane . And with this "less then ideal " wastegate position I had 1-2psi creep right at redline. No one is trying to be a dick and I more then anyone would like for you to get to e joy this kit, there has to be something that has been overlooked. It sux at times that there are so many parts to a turbo kit and if one little thing is off it will throw the whole system out of whack , check the fitting on the compressor housing for being clogged or blocked of flow somehow .

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by My07si View Post
    I can understand the frustration man, but I personally ran this exact kit for almost a year and tuned through the blistering AZ summer with our shitty 91 octane . And with this "less then ideal " wastegate position I had 1-2psi creep right at redline. No one is trying to be a dick and I more then anyone would like for you to get to e joy this kit, there has to be something that has been overlooked. It sux at times that there are so many parts to a turbo kit and if one little thing is off it will throw the whole system out of whack , check the fitting on the compressor housing for being clogged or blocked of flow somehow .
    Ya I know I really have been hoping and wishing I have overlooked something as that would be an easy fix, but I really haven't I've checked everything. The fitting on the compressor housing has been changed a few times, so its definitely not clogged or blocked. I changed it when I did the AN SS lines and then I changed it back to a barbed fitting when I went back to rubber lines. So there's no way that's it.

And I really hate to be a dick and shoot down all these suggestions, its just that I've tried all of them. Please, though, if you come up with anything else, please suggest it, I am super desperate to fix this, as that would be far easier than selling it and taking it off just to install a different kit.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Honestly i'm a bit annoyed at this point. Jaydee is an absolute expert in the k-series world, thats why I asked him to chime in. Same goes for everyone else I tagged/mentioned. You just don't realize that something small can cause a spike in boost. You need to exhaust all options as to why there is an overboosting issue. So, even if you did it 3 times already, do it a fourth. We're all telling you the same thing. And the previous owner of your kit is even posting telling you how it ran with him. This forum is packed with a lot of experts. I suggest you listen.

And not for nothing, the owner of the company that made your kit, which is also the person who actually made it, signed up on this forum and addressed your issue. Thats awesome, it says a lot.

We all support the BoostedK20 world. So, rather than get rid of a great kit, we're willing to work with you.
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 06-26-2013 at 08:42 PM.

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Heres my way that i have my hoses routed for reference!!!!

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post

Awesome! And I agree, FTW!

And my apologies on leaving you out of the tagged list. You're a very knowledgeable member as well. I forgot a few people actually. But I was at work, so no one hold me to it!

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

My Ruckus Build

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Honestly i'm a bit annoyed at this point. Jaydee is an absolute expert in the k-series world, thats why I asked him to chime in. Same goes for everyone else I tagged/mentioned. You just doesn't realize that something small can cause a spike in boost. You need to exhaust all options as to why there is an overboosting issue. So, even if you did it 3 times already, do it a forth. We're all telling you the same thing. And the previous owner of your kit is even posting telling you how it ran with him. This forum is packed with a lot of experts. Id suggest you listen.

And not for nothing, the owner of the company that made your kit, which is also the person who actually made it, signed up on this forum and addressed your issue. Thats awesome, says a lot.
    Sorry, I really do not want to discredit everyone's effort to help. Really I do appreciate everyone's willingness to help! Just please understand where I'm coming from, I spent at least 2 weeks the last time, trying all of the above things to fix this issue; and none of them did, it stopped happening on its own. That being said, what I thought that truly caused the problem when it initially fixed itself, was the dump tube touching either (or both) the subframe and the firewall and causing the wastegate to not sit flush on the flange and possibly binding the valve or causing a bad seal, and that perhaps the day it fixed itself it just kind of settled into place. My reasoning for this is the picture below, you can see how it appears that exhaust was leaking out two 'sides' of the circle, this is easy to see because this gate was brand new just hours before doing this test. Additionally, the last time I put the wastegate in the car I notched the subframe out a bit more for clearance, and was able to get myself a good bit more room for the dumptube to fit once the subframe was raised back into place. Granted, it did still creep that night right after I finished that last install of the wastegate, but the following day around 5pm I tested it one final time, again I made no changes to the car from the night before when it creeped to that afternoon, and it did not creep any more, and continued to not creep for a few datalogs, and then 2 days later second gear blew. Given all this, tonight I was working on the turbo to clock the compressor housing a bit to give more room for the coupler on the turbo as it blew off yesterday, and while doing this, I noticed the dumptube was contacting the firewall, but higher up and more in the middle of the car than previously. Luckily, while my subframe was off for the transmission job, it was notched out quite a bit more to give plenty of clearance, so I should be able to re-angle the dumptube a bit to get it off the firewall and maybe that will fix the creep! I hope so at least.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone's help, and if this doesn't work I will move towards the steps of testing all the hoses. Also, since I need to wire in my new 4 port solenoid, I will be reverting back to the nice SS AN lines I bought, and these will definitely ensure no leaks or melted hoses.

I really didn't mean to shrug everyone's advice off, its just that to do most of the those tests it require me to at the least take the downpipe out, which require me to lower the subframe. While I can do this, it does take about 1.5-2 hours from car on ground to get the wastegate out of the car, and each test needs to be done one at a time, I really don't want to spend 4 hours multiple times on things I have little faith will fix the issue, especially now that I have seen what I saw tonight with the dumptube touching the subframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post

That's exactly how mine are routed, minus the vac block, I just use a separate source on the IM for my boost gauge.
    Last edited by aLmk; 06-26-2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to post picture

Feedback Score
    GLWS sorry we could not help resolve your issue and your giving up .Just so ya know I had a t4 ts set up last year that made 26 lbs of boost and was creeping to 30 lbs hitting boost cut .I had 2 holes in the intercooler piping from shoddy welding and several leaks in my push lock fittings .I am glad I didn't give up and sell my kit as the cars stronger than ever now .I have since corrected those leaks and don't have creep issues .I am hesitant to even give advice or make suggestions on forums these days as there are folks like yourself who ask questions but already think they have all the answers .Best of luck to ya man hope your kit sells I really do .
    Last edited by vdubkilla; 06-29-2013 at 09:57 AM.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: aLmk's Turbo FA5

Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    GLWS sorry we could not help resolve your issue and your giving up .Just so ya know I had a t4 ts set up last year that made 26 lbs of boost and was creeping to 30 lbs hitting boost cut .I had 2 holes in the intercooler piping from shoddy welding and several leaks in my push lock fittings .I am glad I didn't give up and sell my kit as the cars stronger than ever now .I have since corrected those leaks and don't have creep issues .I am hesitant to even give advice or make suggestions on forums these days as there are folks like yourself who ask questions but already think they have all the answers .Best of luck to ya man hope your kit sells I really do .
    Whats the best way to find a leak?

And thats why it bothers me for people to do things like this. We lose the knowledgeable people/gurus and then thats it. Its like "Grandma's Secret Recipe" or the "Krabby Patty Recipe"; once it's gone, it's gone forever. And those secrets are what allow us to further our knowledge, do more with our builds, and leads to new world records and champions. Don't leave Mark!
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 06-29-2013 at 10:06 AM.

My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    I'm not leaving it just bothers me when people ask for our advice and disregard it as jibberish .I am by no means any expert or guru I myself have a lot to learn and do so everyday .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atretf9u-Mc

Page 30 of 88 FirstFirst ... 20304080 ... LastLast