Thread: February 2013 ROTM: Monjarassi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

February 2013 ROTM: Monjarassi

Monjarassi's Show-Stopping EP3 Turbo

The term transformation is defined as "a thorough or dramatic change in form or appearance." This EP3 build is nothing short of that. The Civic Si transformed from a coupe in the previous generation into a hatchback known as the 'EP3'. This was a large step up, changing from a 1.6L B16 motor to a 2.0L K20 motor. With various chassis upgrades, Honda wanted this car to surpass it's elders - and it did.

Monjarassi's 2004 EP3 build has gone through quite a lot to get to where it is today. It all started with a RevHard turbo kit on a 2.4L K24A1 that made 350whp and 315ft-lbs of torque. He loved it and enjoyed it for a while. Once he got used to the car, he wanted more. So, he decided to go to a rare extreme - VTEC Killer Cams. He used an aluminum-magnesium CNC machined roller rocker system, designed and developed by Ferrea, to replace the factory steel rocker arm setup and eliminate the VTEC function. This promotes much better top-end performance, however eliminates your low-end performance. Factors such as weight, mass momentum of inertia, deflection, and cycle-durability were taken into account throughout the design and testing process. Their rocker assembly only weighs 154 grams - 50% less mass than the factory rockers. Along with a new top mount turbo manifold, larger turbo, and an engine tuck, he was enjoying every bit of his new beast. His setup put down 410whp at only 10psi of boost.

Unfortunately, that motor died on the dyno. They were unable to decipher exactly why the motor blew, as it could have been due to many different variables. Nonetheless, it was time to move on; he quickly moved forward. "It took me one day to scoop up my next motor." Monjarassi explained. "I traveled 600 miles to pick it up in 3 pieces: short block, head, and a bag full of miscellaneous items off the motor. Once I got back home, I cleaned all the parts and sent the head out for resurfacing. It took me about three months before I fired up the motor for the first time. And with the luck of God, patience of my wife, and support of others, I had a running EP3 once again - and stronger than ever." His next (and current) build consists of a 2.0L K20Z3 motor, RBC intake manifold, FabWorx V-Band Sidewinder manifold, Precision 6262 turbocharger, custom 3" exhaust from the turbo-back, Innovative 95a billet motor mounts, K-Tuned half size radiator and hoses, K-Tuned slim fan, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Golden Eagle fuel rail, Precision 880cc injectors, BC Racing coilovers, and a Brembo big brake conversion from an S2000. All work was done by himself in his garage with hand tools, and he assembled the motor as well. The setup has been running flawlessly for a while now, thanks to the patience and tuning capabilities of Brian at Speed Lab.

Originally, when he was in the market for a new car, he was looking for a 1999 Honda Civic Si coupe (EM1). When he arrived at the dealership, he found out the car was sold. Broken-hearted, he looked around the lot and immediately fell in love with the black EP3 he saw. He loved every aspect of the car, from the shifter position to the new car smell - he had to have it. Once he owned the car, he quickly noticed that very few people in his area had EP3's, and those that did barely did any modifications. Thanks to Guardian, a turbocharged EP3 owner he met on another online forum, he now had motivation to turbocharge his EP3. Monjarassi's Si remained stock from 2005-2008. After being stock for four years, he decided to begin a journey that he never expected to bring him where he is today. In 2009, he successfully swapped his motor with a K24A1 powerplant from a Honda CRV. A few years later, he swapped the K24A1 for the K20Z3 powerplant from a 2006-2011 Civic Si. Thanks to BoostedK20.com and various other forums online, he was able to compile the information necessary to complete his boosted k-series builds.

"I've always wanted to have the strength and knowledge of doing things myself and not rely on a shop to take my money. And that's how its been. So far, I have worked on 3 RSX turbo setups, 2 FG2 bolt-on setups, 1 EP3 type-R full swap, and a bunch of other cars I routinely do maintenance on. I can be a grease monkey if need be, and having a full time job as a general manager, a husband, and a father - I have the heart and passion for the sport and will always support it till the day I die."

Last edited by BoostedK20; 02-03-2013 at 03:07 AM.

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Love the article. Thanks boosted k20 for the love..

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

February 2013 ROTM: Monjarassi

Great article. And a sick ride for sure. Ever since I joined the forum I've liked his ep3. And it's just gotten better and better.
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    thanks and itll get better

Feedback Score
    GREAT write up. Love this car and build, been following it for a while. This car was insane with the VTEC killer cams, I remember that idle video I saw in your old build thread. Great car, phenomenal write up. This car really is the definition of a transformation - from the wheels to your new shaved intake manifold to your evo front mount intercooler - this is the EP3 to be inspired by. Great job, congrats for winning ROTM. Well deserved. And repped!

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoolin_VTEC View Post
    GREAT write up. Love this car and build, been following it for a while. This car was insane with the VTEC killer cams, I remember that idle video I saw in your old build thread. Great car, phenomenal write up. This car really is the definition of a transformation - from the wheels to your new shaved intake manifold to your evo front mount intercooler - this is the EP3 to be inspired by. Great job, congrats for winning ROTM. Well deserved. And repped!
    I thank u for the kind words, i really have poured my heart and soul into this car

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congratz! You still have vtec killer setup?

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    Congratz! You still have vtec killer setup?
    No, i wish i did though, im now on a full k20z3

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    O ok, was the vtec killer in a k20a3?

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
    O ok, was the vtec killer in a k20a3?
    no on the k24a1 longblock