Thread: January 2013 ROTM: tomRSX

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

January 2013 ROTM: tomRSX

TomRSX's Fully Built Drag RSX

We decided to start 2013 off strong. And what better setup to start the year off with than tomRSX's 2002 Acura RSX type-S. When Tom first purchased the car, his primary goals were to make it look, sound, handle, and perform better. His modification process began with aftermarket wheels, lowering springs, a cold air intake, and an exhaust system. But, there was an issue: no matter what he did, he was never happy. He felt that his car just didn't stand out from others. He realized that, in order to achieve his dream, he needed to go to extremes; He needed to do something that would separate him from the rest.

He knew he needed more power. But more power was useless without traction, so he needed to reconfigure his entire suspension system. And with increased power and traction comes a dire need for increased braking power. With that said, he built his car from the ground-up, leaving no weak links. He has a fully built K20A2 motor - Pauter rods, CP pistons, Benson sleeves, IPS KT1 turbo cams, 90mm throttle body, 3" intercooler piping, Full-Race twin-scroll T4 turbo manifold, Garrett GT4094R dual ball-bearing turbo, full 3" side exit exhaust, 2000cc ID injectors, a 1000hp K-Tuned fuel rail, dual Bosch 044 external fuel pumps, Koyo Racing radiator, and much more. He also has a fully built transmission - PAR 1st through 4th gear Dog Box Gearset with an OEM 5th gear, Quaife LSD, Competition Clutch twin-disc clutch, and a K-Tuned billet shifter, nicely complimented by K-Tuned shifter cables (with heat shield) and K-Tuned shifter cable brackets. His suspension setup is very straightforward - Tein Flex coilovers, Mugen front and rear strut bars, Progress 27mm adjustable rear sway bar, and a Beaks rear tie bar. He's running a KVR Phantom Big Brake Kit with The Driveshaft Shop's Level 5.9 axles and hubs. Last, but certainly not least, he needed custom fenders to properly fit the huge slicks and wide wheels he would be running.

This was the first car he ever owned, which he purchased in August of 2001. His love for cars started at the age of 5, where he started collecting matchbox cars. As time passed, he found himself interested in more than just toy cars. He wanted a more realistic control. He began playing with remote-controlled cars. As you may have guessed, that pattern continued. Fast forward a few years - he finally purchased his 2002 DC5. Fast forward a few more years - you now have one of the most unique DC5's ever in existence.

We asked Tom about how he felt after his major build was complete. "I loved the difference of how the car performed and looked after my modifications and I was hooked ever since. I built a car that I could drive on the street, take to the dragstrip to make 10 second passes, or set it up for a circuit track. Honestly, I feel now that I have accomplished my goal. My car turns heads everywhere I go, and always sparks interest among other car fanatics."

When we asked him to tell us about his first track run with the car after his build was completed, we thoroughly enjoyed his response. "I remember having a grudge match with my friend who owns an '88 mustang. He called me out and invited me to a private event at St. Thomas Dragway. Not only was I the only import, I was the only front drive wheel car. When I first pulled in, I could see all the older guys looking at me funny and smirking. Shortly thereafter, I won my grudge match and won every race following - and beating many big V8's in the process. At the end of the event, people were gathering around me asking about the car and giving me positive feedback. At this event, I was on 94 octane fuel and only 15-20psi of boost running 10.8-11.1 @ 130-137mph. The setup you see today is better than that, running 780whp and 525ft-lbs of torque at 27psi with 144mph trap speeds. The setup I will have finished by Spring 2013 will be even better. I decided to focus on the 1/4 mile and I have made several modifications to improve my results. I am currently in the process of a full custom roll cage with 25.5" floor tubing and aerodynamic improvements. My goal is to hit low low 9's this year, and for 2014 I am aiming for 8's."

And here is Tom's 2012 Compilation Video:
    Last edited by BoostedK20; 02-01-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!