Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Bang-For-Your-Buck Tranny Thread

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Best Bang-For-Your-Buck Tranny Thread

This thread is about coming up with thr best priced replacement tranny setup for K-series motors, specifically my 06-11 Si K20Z3. One of my goals over the winter is to make a backup tranny for my Si. But, in the process, we'll find out the differences from other K-series chassis and see what fits them too.

So far, I've heard that EP3 5-speed trannys and rsx base 5-speed trannys are the cheapest OEM trannys to get.

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    The 5spd is cheap to get. The problem for me and you is that the VSS is different so you need to modify them to work for our cars. You would also need to change the shifter mechanism on the top too if I recall correctly.

I have BOXES of gears lying in my garage. I often see people parting out broken transmissions for cheap and I like to snatch up the good stuff like 2nd and 3rd because those are the gears I tend to always break. I would love to have a stock spare just to put in while I repair my broken one lol

But hopefully this next season I won't break one at all!! The K series transmission is definitely the weak point to boosted Ks... only true fix is to save up a LOT of money and go PPG. . .
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An easier solution is to get the gears from the 5 speed and put it in your current case. Then you don't have to modify anything, at least that's my understanding.

Feedback Score
    ^that!! To get the Ep3 trans you need to modify 3 or 4 things on the case. Things just don't bolt down the same, the best thing to do is switch the gears. And if you want one hell of a highway MPG queen you can swap in a 6th gear.

to switch the gears into your stock case, you need to get at the minimum a new countershaft bearing, part # 91003-PPT-004 for the 4.3 final drive. Also a good idea to change the transmission baffle as well.
    Last edited by snizzletoff; 01-02-2013 at 09:29 AM.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: Best Bang-For-Your-Buck Tranny Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snizzletoff View Post
    ^that!! To get the Ep3 trans you need to modify 3 or 4 things on the case. Things just don't bolt down the same, the best thing to do is switch the gears. And if you want one hell of a highway MPG queen you can swap in a 6th gear.

to switch the gears into your stock case, you need to get at the minimum a new countershaft bearing, part # 91003-PPT-004 for the 4.3 final drive. Also a good idea to change the transmission baffle as well.
    Can you elaborate, go into as much detail as possible?

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    I can elaborate a bit, but i haven't attempted to modify an ep3 trans to fit a k20z3, so i may not have all the info i need. Simply put i wouldn't do it. You already have the correct trans case and that should be the one you use and i haven't heard of anyone breaking them yet.
    But the biggest 2 issues you have are with the Speedo sensor and the cable stay braket. To elaborate
    1) the speedo in the ep3 and the SI are in different locations completely, so the only thing that you can do if you want a speedo is fill in the old speedo hole, probably by tapping it an getting a good plug and hondabond it in or weld it closed. The ep3 trans has the location of our speedo hole cast into the case but its not tapped or drilled so that would need to be done, you would also have to hondabond this hole since i doubt you would get a drill bit EXACTLY the same size.
    2) the cable stay for the shift assembly bolts down with 3 bolts, the front most bolt will not go in because of the reverse lockout location. I really don't know a solution to this unless the stock EP3 one would work for our car

In conclusion. I think its foolish to use the case that isn't designed for the platform. If your have to replace your trans your allready going get balls deep in the car, you might as well take the extra 20 bolts out around the case and switch the internal gears. Its pretty damn straight forward but when i do it again i will make a detailed writeup. Either when i get sick of 5th gear grinding or i break something.

Feedback Score
    Yes he is correct. I have had long talks with a few people. Gearspeed, ppg and mfactory just to name some. Best way to swap the ep3 gears into our z3 case. I used an calculator to test the top speed on the ep3 1-4 or was it 1-5 and our 6th gear and at top of fourth gear it was like 140mph. Now if you want you can get ppg 1-4 for 3889 or just 3-4 for 1800 that is probably what I am going to do. They are rather long great for enjoying the boost. Also you can get another company that says for 4000 you can get 1-4 and at the top of fourth you will be at 160mph but that is overkill fun but overkill. Slowsi is going to be doing this swap and I will be there taking pics and helping out I will let yall know what will happen.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the info guys. What about the rsx 5 speed tranny? I knew literally nothing about the ep3 case situation, in fact I know nothing about this topic. That's why I created this thread.

Does the rsx tranny as a whole swap or is it a gear transfer again? I'm just looking at options

My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. What about the rsx 5 speed tranny? I knew literally nothing about the ep3 case situation, in fact I know nothing about this topic. That's why I created this thread.

Does the rsx tranny as a whole swap or is it a gear transfer again? I'm just looking at options
    The rsx and ep3 both use the k20a3 so its the same trans. Same issues apply to.the rsx 5sp

Sent from my EVO 3D with Tapatalk 2

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Good to know, thanks! Gonna start looking into spare trannies. I think Ainokea did a 5 speed swap a couple years ago right?

My Ruckus Build

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast