Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Thread: new k20 here

Feedback Score

new k20 here

well i figured i would join here in hopes that i only will have to build my car once. ill try and get some pics tommorow.

its a 1993 si, i just picked up a 05 k20z1 (i believe). i am currently in search of a 5 speed. i ordered my mounts yesterday so as soon as they get here ill get rolling on that.

the general idea is rods, pistons.... port the head possibly do head internals or i might hold off not sure yet. sidewinder twinscroll manifold and either a hx40 or hx52. injectors(size tbd) and run e85 and see what she makes and have a decently fun street/track car. but this could all change this is just what i have in my head ill be scanning honda tech and here for more solid info on what i need to do to acheive my goals...and basically my goal is somwhere around the breaking point of stock sleeves

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Feedback Score
    sorry if this is kind of scatter brained ill clean it up tomorrow. just wanted to join up before i forgot to and tried to post and wasnt able to. ill hop back on tomorrow and clena it up but thats the general plan.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

new k20 here

Welcome man.

I'd say you should have a hp goal in mind before buying the turbo and injectors. But running e85 you'll need a daily large "cc".

Being your going to be running a piston/rod motor I'd at least do head components also.
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score
    well from what i have been told. mind you i havent really looked into the motor to much. the head flows pretty good and the stock head internals are pretty solid to 8200-ish rpm. i am not trying to spin it to the moon...yet. if i had to put a number out there i would say 600+ and everything after that is icing on the cake.

its gonna be a weekend driver/track toy so injector size and fuel consumption are far from a concern. i have already figured just buying 2150's or that range. but i wanna look into the abilitys of kpro or aem for the setup. i know with aem it should be fairly streetable with those size injectors.. i am just not sure about kpro with such big injectors.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

new k20 here

Because its being street driven and will have to pass emissions I'd stick to kpro. But being your almost historic aem would be awesome. Aem will be sure to get you the hp your looking for. And 2150cc injectors are a monster. That should be easily sufficient to supply 600whp. Especially on e85. I would try and keep the sleeves as thick as possibly so I wouldn't go more then .5mm overbore just due to the amount of boost you'll be seeing. (20+ range)

Sounds like a promising build for sure. Keep us updated and add some pics.
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    Well are emissions are a catalytic converter and a roller test so I will be working around that. So I will be leaning towards aem.

I am gonna have my block checked out next week there is a few gouges deeper than I thought so I might have to bore it more than previously expected.

I have been reading build threads for the last hour and have already gotten a lot of info.

One question.I still haven't found really is stock rod strength. Just curious
    I have already planned.to buy both rods and pistons...I have just seen a few 500 plus HP unaltered k20.

Feedback Score
    One other question I really can't seem to find a difinitive awnser here...maybe ill try k20a.org...
    coming from a heavy 4g63 area of Ohio....

How come no one uses a k24 block with a k20 crank? that was the first idea I really wanted to do...a long rod 2.12 I believe it would be with the right rod length

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

new k20 here

Quote Originally Posted by 93si View Post
    One other question I really can't seem to find a difinitive awnser here...maybe ill try k20a.org...
    coming from a heavy 4g63 area of Ohio....

How come no one uses a k24 block with a k20 crank? that was the first idea I really wanted to do...a long rod 2.12 I believe it would be with the right rod length
    I have heard of some using a f20 crank but never a k20 crank. I can't give a definite answer but may I ask why would you want to do a long rod motor? I've heard of the 4g63 guys doing it for some time.
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    lower rod ratio..less stress on the internals for longevity. also be safer to rev it out a bit more. i am not trying to build an all out drag motor. but if i can spend a bit more now to improve the longevity of the bottom end id rather do it and have it last a few years.

....i cannot lie i know there will be a few times when i actually wanna see what i have built can do and ill need the rpms to show its full potential... but for the typical weekend my idea above will stand lol

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

new k20 here

Hmm. Seems legit. But I know of several cars running 580+whp on stock rod length and used for exactly what your looking to do. Matter of fact a user on here "vdubkilla" made 580ish on an all stock bottom end. K20z1. And drove it like it was stolen.

But a modified oil pump like ERL or KMOD may be a nice piece to add if your looking for 9000+rpm. As would a nice set of valve springs.
    Last edited by PetefromtheStreets; 11-23-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    Tire slayer

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast