Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast

Thread: New to k20's, looking to Turbo

Feedback Score

New to k20's, looking to Turbo

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject, Ive heard a lot of different things about the k20 and what else is needed with the turbo set-up. I am a mechanic so i understand the setup and whatnot but im not entirely sure if any internals would need to be done to be able to withstand the turbo. I was told that the k20 can withstand up to 8psi of booost with the stock internals. I know ill need to upgrade my fuel system on top of what I already have done to the car and I know ill need hondata and a tune. Its a 2010 4 door SI so any help with letting me know of any internal changes I would need to make the the engine would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Feedback Score
    I have a 06 fg2 on a pte6262. It was tuned on 12.6 psi and made 440 hp. The stock
    Internals are good to go up to 500ish

Feedback Score
    Ok, Any recommendations as to a turbo manifold? Im coming up with all different responses some saying stay away from cast iron and some saying stick to cast iron. Hard to get a straight answer on all of this lol

Feedback Score
    If you want to make over 350HP you will need to get away from the cast iron log style manifolds. Look for tubular manifolds like the ones offered by full race or AJP or SRT.

You will spend more up front if you just buy a kit from one of them but it will all fit no questions asked.

If you go the custom route like I did you will still spend over $5000 to get over 350HP.

What are your power goals?

Sent using my Galaxy S3

Feedback Score
    I'm looking to get somewhere around 400 whp. Basically I would like to get as much as I can still keeping the stock internals. I eventually plan to build a motor block up but that is a project for a later date lol

Feedback Score
    Who ever told you 8psi is a lie. There are 600hp stock blocks and people beat on them but that goes down to tune! Which K20 do you have? z3,a2,a3?? I went with a BoostJunkyz turbo kit check them out at www.boostjunkyz.com also mywhitesi or whatever his username on here are running this kit! I build a block I build that should hold up find to 600+ easily but the K series transmission will start to fail at 400tq.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksboi View Post
    Who ever told you 8psi is a lie. There are 600hp stock blocks and people beat on them but that goes down to tune! Which K20 do you have? z3,a2,a3?? I went with a BoostJunkyz turbo kit check them out at www.boostjunkyz.com also mywhitesi or whatever his username on here are running this kit! I build a block I build that should hold up find to 600+ easily but the K series transmission will start to fail at 400tq.
    ksboi, he has a K20Z3. It's a 2010 Si.

But We'd love to help you out man, you're at the right place. This is where the myths end and the truth comes out. To answer your OP, you won't need to change any internals to get to 400whp (as opposed to 400hp at the crank, we don't measure crank hp here ) Post up your budget, what you use the car for, etc etc. We'll set you straight!

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm running 15-16psi on stock internals. You will be perfectly fine. I've even gone to 20 on race gas, and I have a crappy log (cast iron) manifold.

Feedback Score
    Ya get a good tune and you will be good. Hit up etunez. I have the srt v2. Quality is top notch. Slight boost creep issues above 8k even tho I am only at 9 psi

Feedback Score
    @ 8psi as I ran 26.6 psi last season all year made 585 / 414 and had a tuner that struggled with getting rid of my boost cut issues. I hit boost cut many , many times at 30+ psi .That engine held up very well and was in decent condition when pulled apart with the exception of the valve guides were worn .I don't think I would run 26 psi on a dd but wouldn't hesitate to run 20 psi all day long these things will take a serious beating and 20 psi will make really good streetable power imho however I would recommend putting springs, retainers , and head studs in it .

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast