Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to k20's, looking to Turbo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilwhit14 View Post
    I have an 8th gen fa5. Custom turbo kit on 7.5 psi. Had an srt4 guy tune me (first mistake) and only made 210 whp due to boost falling off at top end by half. Fixing some stuff this weekend and getting retuned next week by DK Goodrich. I was also unsure of internals because I had heard our internals are only good for 310whp but DK assured me they are good for much more. Said he has tuned plenty of k20s making 400-500whp on stock internals pushing 12-15 psi. I'm pumped to see the outcome of this retune.
    Plan on getting tuned again if you are going to use DK to tune your car. Good guy but you could get so much more if you used someone else. He is a great guy though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkilla View Post
    @ 8psi as I ran 26.6 psi last season all year made 585 / 414 and had a tuner that struggled with getting rid of my boost cut issues. I hit boost cut many , many times at 30+ psi .That engine held up very well and was in decent condition when pulled apart with the exception of the valve guides were worn .I don't think I would run 26 psi on a dd but wouldn't hesitate to run 20 psi all day long these things will take a serious beating and 20 psi will make really good streetable power imho however I would recommend putting springs, retainers , and head studs in it .
    completely agree leave the internals stock no issues but if you can i would deff, like stated above, do valve train and head studs and if you can rod bolts as well and your safe. 8 psi is complete bull shit so dont let that even dwell in your brain.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Re: New to k20's, looking to Turbo

@8psi youll crack maybe 350whp. And depending on the size turbo you use it won't even begine to shine until boost beyond 10-12psi. K series are straight up beasts.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    @8psi youll crack maybe 350whp. And depending on the size turbo you use it won't even begine to shine until boost beyond 10-12psi. K series are straight up beasts.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    I'm on 13psi now making 375. Turbo just can't make the numbers it should. About to get meth injection and leave it at 13 psi. Should put me at 400whp+.

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm on 13psi now making 375. Turbo just can't make the numbers it should. About to get meth injection and leave it at 13 psi. Should put me at 400whp+.
    What turbo are you using? Sorry if its been said in earlier posts.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm_rsx View Post
    What turbo are you using? Sorry if its been said in earlier posts.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Company called DNA motor sports. It's an eBay brand turbo. Given me no problems just can't handle the flow my motor puts out bc it's a .63 a/r housing. Spools quick but can't give me the big numbers I should be getting on 13psi. I'm really only getting meth to prevent knock. Been getting some lately. That should put me over 400 and keep my motor safe from preventing knocking

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yea not to be a name brand freak or shit on ebay parts because I personally like some ebay stuff but its no wonder your not making 400 on 13 lbs with that turbo. Perhaps just the bigger a/r woukd help but for a Daily driver id slap a percision or Garrett 30r on it. Good boost, good power and good reliability.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    I'm on xx psi and its eye opening.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Take this as straight advice and please don't take it as negativity: That's the completely wrong thing to do. You're running 13psi and not hitting 400whp, ok neither does the small 16g GReddy turbo. But to get to 400whp you're willing to add more complications and unnecessary modifications to your car (not to mention something that can run out without you knowing, force you to run lean and kaboom, bye bye motor) rather than simply swap out to a larger hot side and be done with it? [Which is something you know you need to do already.] Run a .82AR hot side, you'll be a happy camper. That's definitely what's limiting you. Easy swap, great results that are much safer and RELIABLE!

Also, please don't take it as my condoning your use of an eBay turbo. Good or not, it's not a Garrett, Precision, BorgWarner, Comp, or anything on that level - and that's a big thing. God forbid something goes wrong and pieces of your turbo chip off into your motor. Let me paint a picture: 8,500rpm and 13psi, making xxxwhp. Think of the amount that turbo is spinning, how hot it's getting, and the overall stress. Think of the life of the turbo, the heat cycles (heating up and cooling down, typically extreme opposites) and the like. Now, think of Precision, BW, Garrett, Comp. All amazing companies that have gone through very, very extensive R&D and have products with proven results; companies that have grown their reputations based on their products. Now think of an eBay company. See my point? You may be lucky with this turbo, it happens sometimes. But understand where I, and we all, come from when I say get a name brand.

Keep us updated Pat!
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 09-06-2013 at 01:43 AM.

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Si Speed 317 View Post
    Take this as straight advice and please don't take it as negativity: That's the completely wrong thing to do. You're running 13psi and not hitting 400whp, ok neither does the small 16g GReddy turbo. But to get to 400whp you're willing to add more complications and unnecessary modifications to your car (not to mention something that can run out without you knowing, force you to run lean and kaboom, bye bye motor) rather than simply swap out to a larger hot side and be done with it? [Which is something you know you need to do already.] Run a .82AR hot side, you'll be a happy camper. That's definitely what's limiting you. Easy swap, great results that are much safer and RELIABLE!

Also, please don't take it as my condoning your use of an eBay turbo. Good or not, it's not a Garrett, Precision, BorgWarner, Comp, or anything on that level - and that's a big thing. God forbid something goes wrong and pieces of your turbo chip off into your motor. Let me paint a picture: 8,500rpm and 13psi, making xxxwhp. Think of the amount that turbo is spinning, how hot it's getting, and the overall stress. Think of the life of the turbo, the heat cycles (heating up and cooling down, typically extreme opposites) and the like. Now, think of Precision, BW, Garrett, Comp. All amazing companies that have gone through very, very extensive R&D and have products with proven results; companies that have grown their reputations based on their products. Now think of an eBay company. See my point? You may be lucky with this turbo, it happens sometimes. But understand where I, and we all, come from when I say get a name brand.

Keep us updated Pat!
    Yea ik. This was meant to be a starter kit at 300hp. I wanted more. I plan on going with a comp turbo eventually and would probably be smarter than just adding a meth kit to this one but I haven't had one problem from this turbo. And even the name brands have known to shit out quickly. When a turbo goes it goes regardless of it being eBay or big name. But I also believe meth is smart bc it's proven to make more power and keeps things safer when running pump gas. I take no offense to your comments and advice. What you have said is true but I'm a believer in, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" just so many options. A meth kit will run me close to $500. Comp turbo will be slightly more. I know people with good turbos make 400+ on 12 lbs so ik my turbo is limiting me. It would probably be smarter to just upgrade the turbo but requires more work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast