Thread: DIY Shifter Cable Replacement

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

DIY Shifter Cable Replacement

Like many others on this site, I f'd up my shifter cables during the aluminum shifter cable bushings install. I wasn't aware of the fragility of these cables at that time. Here is the broken part:

The part costs around $150 online, but I think with replacement at the dealer, it's around $250. So here it is:

1. Take out your cowl (for turbocharged people), and remove your intake (whether turbocharged or supercharged) and center console. I figure if you don't know how to do this, you will not be messing with shifter cables. Here are those two places:

2. Remove the clips holding down the shifter cable bushings:

3. Remove retaining clips holding the two drum-fasteners. The drums will be able to slide back and out of their mounts:

4. At this point, remove the shifter cable bushings at the ends. I did this step last (and hence first during reassembly) to make sure the cables didn't get bent again!

5. Now go inside the car. Pry the metal wire clips apart and take the two connectors off of the shifter assembly (one on the bottom and one on the side):

6. Disconnect the plastic holders by twisting them and pulling out. There is one on each side of the shifter assembly. I used a vise grip to get the old ones out, and the new ones I got to go in by hand:

7. Now time to go under the car! There are two mounts holding the cables to the body, as well as the plate that seals the cabin from the outside. Here are the mounts (they are next to the 1st O2 sensor where your cat would/should be):

NOTE: I am pointing to one of them (it has a G on it) and the other one is at the very top of the picture (it's half cut off by the camera). These are very easy to find!

8. Now remove the plate that seals the cabin. You can see in this picture that one of the nuts is covered by the heat shield. I managed to get that nut by bending the heat shield enough to get a wrench in there:

NOTE: It would be much easier to get to that covered nut if the shield was removed. It is also very easy - 2 nuts and 4 bolts hold it to the body and all are fairly easy to see.

9. Now that everything is disconnected, remove the old shifter cables. To get the old ones out, I pulled the side from inside the cabin out first. Then I pulled the side from the engine bay down, while making sure nothing was caught. Here are pictures of the old broken ones and the new shifter cables:

10. To get the new cables in, I went in from the engine bay. This way turned out to be easier because one of the mounts goes around a sensor wire, and it would have been hard to get it in from under the car. Reassemble everything in reverse order and you're set!

Partial credit to EyCivicDriver
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 03-29-2012 at 11:51 AM.

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    Nice. I didn't bust mine but I replaced them and it's not so bad. RSX is just as easy

nice work
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great job!

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice job dude. Thorough job. I'm not patient enough to make DIY's lol
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear it went well, great DIY. I need to do this soon, repped for awesomeness!