Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups

Let's face it - even with boost-by-gear/rpm, it's hard to get traction in a high-hp FWD setup in cars weighing less than 3,000 lbs. When I use the word 'traction' I don't mean simply accelerating, but decelerating as well. So, after countless hours of research and productivity, I have come up with the following list of tires to help us achieve the traction we desire. Now, the following is a list that I have compiled myself, along with contributions from many other people's personal experiences. This list will always be updated with new tires, as new products are introduced to the market. So, if you see a tire missing that you believe NEEDS to be on this list, post it up with your experience!

To ensure safe sizing of your future tire setups, here is the handy Wheel and Tire Calculator: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

The Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups
    *These are in no particular order*

Summer Tires

1. Nitto NT05

Very aggressive performance tire with a medium compound. This tire literally fights to keep traction, and provides great traction when driven cold. Provides amazing traction when warmed up! Priced at ~$142 for a 235/40/17, these ares are definitely affordable and a great bang-for-your-buck.

2. Hankook Ventus R-S3

Another aggressive performance tire with medium-hard compound. These were designed for performance street use, however are commonly seen at autocross tracks. And they're properly priced, around $145 a tire for 245/40/17. They provide great traction in dry weather, however if it's less than 40* out, they're useless.

3. Kumho Ecsta XS

The Ecsta Xtreme Street tires are a surprise coming from Kumho. They provide excellent traction in dry weather, and are designed to work well in wet conditions as well. Great tire for a daily driver - traction on the nice days, with great grip on those rainy, cloudy days. They are fairly priced as well, running ~$159ea. for a 245/40/17.

4. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

These are the tires everyone talks about. They provide superior traction in dry weather without being warmed up, and provide even better traction when warm. And, with a 200 wear rating, these will last for a good while. These tires were designed for lighter cars that have a hard time keeping traction, and are commonly seen on daily driven high hp FWD applications. Nicely priced at ~$175ea. for a 245/40/17, you can't go wrong with these. Don't use these babies in temperatures less than 40* though!

5. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

Designed for grip, these tires won't disappoint the spirited driver that likes to take turns. They work great in dry situations, and are very suitable to wet conditions as well. They come at a price though, ~$244 a tire for a 245/40/17.

Track Tires
    All tires listed below are NOT meant for wet conditions with high speed or temperatures below 40*.

1. Yokohama Advan A048

Medium-Hard compound tire, 60 wear rating means not too much longevity out of these in a street condition. Great track tire, autocross, circuit, or drag applications. Priced around $278 a tire for a 245/40/17.

2. Nitto NT555R Drag Radial

A great tire, with unfortunately odd sizing options. Tires are greatly priced, at $170 for a 245/45/17. Only problem is sizing.

3. Nitto NT01

Another great tire coming from Nitto - the NT01. At ~$154 for a 235/40/17, these are a great choice for traction! And, with a 100 wear rating, they'll last for a little bit. If you had a choice of drag radials, this is the one to get. One of the best bang-for-your-buck tires available.

4. M&H Racemaster Street and Strip

Great drag radial for those running 14, 15, and 16" wheels. Soft compound, made to be driven on the street on the way to the track, not as a daily driven tire. Don't let the look of the tire fool you, the soft compound of this tire makes it a great selection for traction! Typically sold in pairs, tires run ~$167ea for a 235/60/15.

Have great experience with a tire that you don't see listed above? Post it below!!
    Last edited by Si Speed 317; 01-03-2012 at 04:58 PM.

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Feedback Score
    Definately sold on teh NT05's now. Great thread!

Feedback Score
    Wait really that cheap for the NT01's?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xander View Post
    Wait really that cheap for the NT01's?
    Pretty sure I'm not the youngest person on this site now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelTaylor View Post
    Pretty sure I'm not the youngest person on this site now.
    I try not to advertise it

Feedback Score
    Great thread Si Speed 317. Gave you some whopping reputation points on this one

As for prices, they seem pretty accurate. Definitely need to do some searching to find those prices, but that's what google shopping is for. Seems like tirerack and discounttiredirect prices mainly.

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Great write up. Stickied!

Repped as well.

Feedback Score
    i used these the past summer. Kumho Ecsta XS

great tire, especially with a 215 45 r16. they lasted a full summer with plenty of 3rd gear pulls leaving half the tire down the highway.

im in need of a newset, but hard to find good tires in a 45 r16
    Last edited by boosted_teg; 01-02-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    2001 Boosted Built k20a2 Billet BB 6766BB

2013=579whp 406trq @ 24 psi c16
    10.87@137mph

2014= 510whp 370trq @ 18psi pump gas

2015= 7xx @ 30psi??

Feedback Score
    These are the best tires I've ran on the streets:
    M&H Racemaster Street & Strip (D.O.T.)

I run them as my street drag radial (some people go to the track with them, but I prefer slicks at the track). I run a 235/60/15 tire size... they hook great at 610whp (my lower hp map for the streets) ... i will never run anything else on the streets.

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    i want the nitto nt01

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast