Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread: D.I.Y Adding a Return fuel line

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score

D.I.Y Adding a Return fuel line

People have been asking for my version of the fuel return so here it is:

So today even though I’m busted up from surgery I decided I would finally finish my fuel system. I had pretty much been done and just awaiting some new parts from Hybrid Racing.

There are a lot of parts involved in doing a full fuel system with return line. This process is not cheap. I’ve seen people spend up to $1k in just their fuel setup. I believe I spent almost $600 myself. Here are some of the parts.. I know I’ll be missing some misc…

After Market Fuel Rail
    Fuel Pressure Gauge
    Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Inline Fuel Filter
    Aftermarket Fuel Pump
    20ft -6an Fuel Line
    3/8” and 5/16” submersible fuel hose
    lots of AN fittings (I’ll explain all I used in the DIY steps)
    Hose clamps
    Zip Ties

Here is what I can remember for the fittings I used...

Straight -6an fittings [4 Total]
    -Pump (1x)
    -Filter (2x)
    -FPR (1X)

45* -6an fittings [2 total]
    -Rail (1x)
    -FPR (1x)

90* -6an fittings [1 total]
    -Rail (1x)

-10an to -6an adapter [2 total]
    -Filter (2x)

-8an to -6an adapters [4 total]
    -Rail (2x)
    -FPR (2x)

90* male to male fitting [1 total]
    -pump (1x)

-6an to 3/8th nipple [1 total]
    -pump (1x)

-6an plug [1 total]
    -FPR (1x)

So lets get started…. The first thing you need to do is install your new fuel pump. I already have a DIY on installing a pump without a return. So start with this DIY to take out the pump and modify the cage
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=738511

Now lets start the new process!
    So I started my new fuel setup today.

Basically I pulled the pump back out. I already had a 255lb pump installed. But now I'm adding a new feed and return setup. So first I dismantled the fuel pump assembly

Then I went and place the nut on the bottom where I will be drilling. You will need this nut. You will also need a 90* male to male 6an fitting to go through the pump. Also I used a 6an to 3/8” barb fitting inside the pump. You can see the fittings in the picture above.

Then I drilled out the hole. I used a blade to clean up the burrs and etc

Now I placed my new fitting threw the hole

Now I attach the barb connector and redo the hoses. I use the stock feed nipple as the return now and the pump goes to the new added barb fitting.

And put the pump back in the tank. Now to start the lines....

First thing I did was mount my inline fuel filter. First I wanted to wrap it in hose so it doesn't vibrate

The using wire I mount it under the car where I wanted it

Now start by putting your line from the pump. Here is the first straight -6an fitting used. Run the hose down to under the car to the fuel filter.

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    and make a marking where to cut the hose to the fuel filter. Then make a cut

Now put your other end on

and now put your first half of the fuel line up and tighten it down. You will need -10an to -6an adapters if you use the same aeromotive fuel filter.

Then using the hose clamp I secured the hose down.

I decided to stop using stainless braided hose and bought russells black braided hose.

I started with the longest distance. So I began by adding a straight -6an fitting on the hose

and then connected it to my FPR. If you want to put your FPR where I did here is my FPR bracket DIY
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=759243

So anyways, connect another straight -6an fitting to the hose and start from the bottom of the FPR which is the return

Then used clamps and started routing it down and around the header back over to the passenger side

and wrapped it behind some of the wiring harness. I also zip tied the fuel line every chance I could just ass added protection

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    Then I cut the stock feed line back where you can't see it and zip tied the return line to it all the way down the frame...

Then put the hose through up to the pump and measured and cut where needed

You also need to remove the quick release clip

I then clamped it down to the stock feed output. It fit extremely tight and I could barely get it on so I have faith.... also this is the return so it has a lot less pressure.

then I attached another AN fitting and started from where I had left off at the fuel filter

I then brought it up towards the transmission and moved it up towards the rail.

Now I put the rail on and fittings so I can mark where to cut the line. Now I make my mark on the hose and cut.

Because this is going to be seen I don’t want to scratch the fittings. So I blue tapped them

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    Now I attach the line to the first side of the rail.

and now I attach the FPR fitting and measure up the next cut

cut and add the fitting… almost done!

attach the line

BAM!!! Now you are done!

here is a small diagram

**I probably missed some things and I’ll edit the thread if needed**

Feedback Score
    Great write up. I think I read on you CRSX thread that this was a pretty expensive DIY. Is it a must have when boosting, because I didnt put in a return line.

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    It all depends on your HP goals and your setup. I didn't have a return line before on my setup but this winter I decided to run one because I was going to swap to E85. All and all a full fuel setup will run a couple hundred dollars. The fittings are expensive, the line isn't cheap, and add filter, pump, rail, and FPR and you've hit $500+ without even trying....

Feedback Score
    I saw this one to before. and its a awesome DIY am planning on doing this.

Feedback Score
    What kind of HP range will you start to need a return? (i'm installing a MPx90 + intercooler, 1000cc, DW65 pump). If i do a fuel return I'll probably buy the AJP kit. Thanks for the awesome DIY!

Feedback Score
    This is way better than a kit. I suggest running a -8 an feed and use the factory hard line as return.

I <3 Purpul Shocker
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by easymovet View Post
    What kind of HP range will you start to need a return? (i'm installing a MPx90 + intercooler, 1000cc, DW65 pump). If i do a fuel return I'll probably buy the AJP kit. Thanks for the awesome DIY!
    Typically, you're limited at low to mid 400whp without a return with 1000cc injectors. That's what I've been told of the turbo guys. Rotrex may be different, but I'm not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbsjnh View Post
    This is way better than a kit. I suggest running a -8 an feed and use the factory hard line as return.
    Why? Easier?

"As I lay rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I spin and begin to slide, please oh please protect my ride."

One-off SRT Top Mount Manifold - GT3076R
    My Ruckus Build

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast