Thread: K-Tuned Shifter and Race Cables Review and Fix to possible problems

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BoostedK20 Sponsor
    Feedback Score

K-Tuned Shifter and Race Cables Review and Fix to possible problems

I have installed a K-Tuned Shifter and race cables. The install for the shifter is very straight forward and not problems there. Love the shifter solid movement and extended length of the knob.

Here is a comparison next to the 2005 RSX S shifter.

The race cables are a more elaborate job and requires some patience and finesse to get things right.

Upon completion of the install and proper adjustments, I found that my shifter would not shift easily to 1st, 2nd 5th, 6th and reverse gears. It was nearly impossible to use it like this safely.

Went on to trouble shoot the problem and found that the attachment that allows movement from front to back was too rigid and did not allow natural swivel movement of an already very stiff cable setup.

When you would move from left to right the cable attachment point was held flat and forced the cable to push hard on the cable and cause pinching, grinding on the assembly at the mounting point.

My solution to this problem was quite clever and simple and now my shifter is back to smooth solid shifts and loving the race cable setup.

Here are pictures of the area with the problem and solution:

This picture illustrates where the mounting point is rigid and does not allow proper swivel movement to allow cable to move properly when moving shifter left to right:

This is where the binding occurs due to lack of swivel motion:

I modified the mounting eye hook to the following shape to solve the problem:

Here it is installed and performing beautifully with great solid action and smooth shift engagement:

Here is a view of the more natural flex when shifter moved to the left. Before the modification, the cable wanted to stay straight and pushed hard on the mounting point causing the grind and sticking:

Last edited by MercRacing; 04-30-2014 at 12:35 PM.

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!