Quote Originally Posted by aLmk View Post
Won't go into second with the motor off? Sounds like a shift fork over a synchro, but I would think that same shift fork would prevent it from going into 3rd as well.

I think the problem will be obvious once you open the trans. You'll see either a broken fork, or the synchro's teeth will be fucked up or the gear's engagement teeth may be sheered off or no longer have a nice cut to them.

The fork is not very hard to replace and neither are the synchros and all the bearings. For the synchros and bearings you just need a press. There is a really nice write up on 8th civic detailing the transmission tear down.
Thanks for the response! well since i do plan on tearing it down, ill just have to play it by year and see what the underlying cause is. I wouldn't mind getting a press since they are not much money but when i see things like shimming this and that, then i get a little paranoid about doing the shafts myself (no pun intended).

Ive seen that thread and it is awesome, i have it favorit-ed as well as adams transmission tear down diy. I guess i have to wait and see how my confidence is when i tear it down. The main thing im worried about is taking off the gears and not aligning them properly and putting in wrong order