Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: PPG install tips

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PPG install tips

Just like the title says I am going to show you guys some things I ran into while installing my PPG's into my trans.

Assuming you've already pressed the gears onto the main and countershaft.....

First things first is that when you put the gears into the clutch case and spin the diff 1st gear rubs against the final drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui8um415h5...220_204948.mp4

I thought this to be a spacing issue but turns out it's perfectly fine. Once you install the countershaft c clip on the bearing it will lift it off of the final drive

After I got that taken care of I took it back apart to address something I read on a YouTube video about these gears. It turns out that the guy installed them and it was horribly loud at idle with no load and the clutch pedal out. He left it like that for a year.

After tear down to replace a diff he saw grinding on the reverse gear arm where it rubs against 2nd gear on the mainshaft. It had worn away enough to clear the gear slightly.

You can see I had taken the arm and grind it down enough to not contact anymore. Be careful how much you grind in that spot though because you get close to the spring on the reverse arm.

And another thing I noticed was the piece that is used for reverse in my 6 speed on the 5th/6th shift fork hit first gear if you lightly move it side to side. So again I took it to the grinder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/inemevuon1...221_195836.mp4

Once you check those things out your set to roll. Have fun and enjoy your gears.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Cage plus radio member #1
    Tire slayer
    Breaking everything since 2011

2.    Sponsored Links

3. Become a Free Registered Member and Remove This Ad!

Boostaholic
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    O and don't forget the spacer on the speed sensor. That thing will get chewed up
    Using promo code "SPOOLBUS" @ checkout when shopping in the eshop will save you money!!

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by monjarassi View Post
    O and don't forget the spacer on the speed sensor. That thing will get chewed up
    I was going to add that to my trans diy. If I had the 1-4 Ppg gear set you are correct. I'll need to update my post to clarify this is the 1/2 only.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Last edited by PetefromtheStreets; 02-25-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    Tire slayer

Super Moderator
    Feedback Score
    I'd kill for a PPG setup. Nice write up and tips
    Available now are SPAZ APPROVED decals!!! Available in multiple colors!

Need parts?! Check out our eShop and let me know! We can help you out!
    http://boostedk20.com/eshop/

Formerly "Adm_rsx"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    I'd kill for a PPG setup. Nice write up and tips
    Thanks and yea man I'm pretty excited about the gears.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    Tire slayer

Feedback Score
    Good job surgar titts. i want the gears but i am saving for a new car!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PetefromtheStreets View Post
    Just like the title says I am going to show you guys some things I ran into while installing my PPG's into my trans.

First things first is that when you put the gears into the clutch case and spin the diff 1st gear rubs against the final drive.

I thought this to be a spacing issue but turns out it's perfectly fine. Once you install the countershaft c clip on the bearing it will lift it off of the final drive

After I got that taken care of I took it back apart to address something I read on a YouTube video about these gears. It turns out that the guy installed them and it was horribly loud at idle with no load and the clutch pedal out. He left it like that for a year.

After tear down to replace a diff he saw grinding on the reverse gear arm where it rubs against 2nd gear on the mainshaft. It had worn away enough to clear the gear slightly.

You can see I had taken the arm and grind it down enough to not contact anymore. Be careful how much you grind in that spot though because you get close to the spring on the reverse arm.

And another thing I noticed was the piece that is used for reverse in my 6 speed on the 5th/6th shift fork hit first gear if you lightly move it side to side. So again I took it to the grinder.

Once you check those things out your set to roll. Have fun and enjoy your gears.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    I'm just gona come over when its my turn, okay? ok sounds like a plan!

Master Member
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice write up! I'm sure you're excited to get to use these!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PetefromtheStreets View Post

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
    jelly... ima send you a transmission for a rebuild

BoostedK20.com Founder

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Phenomenal. Repped!!

Need parts for your k-series setup? Check out our eShop! Click Here

For all your eShop support needs:BoostedK20.com eShop Support Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast