PDA

View Full Version : O-Ringed Block

vdubkilla
11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
I had always heard of o-ringing a block but never knew why people had it done or what it truly meant .I thought it was actual o-rings but have since found out differently .Here is a picture of my aebs sleeved and o-ringed block

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg360/nextproject97/2012%20engine%20build/IMAG0729_zps9614f0d7.jpg

The machine shop cuts a grove in the block and installs a thin copper wire that you can see in the pic. You still run a head gasket like normal but the o ringing of the block helps seal it better for high boost applications .It's a much debated topic by many as far as whether or not to do it but the way I see it why not as it can't hurt if your boosted and making power .Prior to doing it I had asked a tuner I know pretty well and he said no doubt do it.

monjarassi
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Yea I was always stuck when I heard the topic.
My brother in laws motor I'm building for him is o ringed also.

aLmk
11-05-2013, 09:33 PM
I know Vit's block for his black si will be o-ringed this time around.

vdubkilla
11-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Vit does stuff the right way and as far as my block I figured after losing a head gasket once last year and then the over rev in July it was wise to have it O ringed while it was at the machine shop .I actually talked to a guy this past weekend at MIR /World Cup finals that had a high hp rsx a beautiful one and he did not have an o ringed block he did however have anti freeze in his engine bay due to blowing coolant out of the overflow from a blown head gasket .

aLmk
11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Vit does stuff the right way and as far as my block I figured after losing a head gasket once last year and then the over rev in July it was wise to have it O ringed while it was at the machine shop .I actually talked to a guy this past weekend at MIR /World Cup finals that had a high hp rsx a beautiful one and he did not have an o ringed block he did however have anti freeze in his engine bay due to blowing coolant out of the overflow from a blown head gasket .
Ya Vit lifted his head on his old motor, so this time he's doing the o-ringing and 1/2'' headstuds.

ksboi
11-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Never heard about this before, nice sleeved block.

vdubkilla
11-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks man a lot of people told me not to do it said I didnt need to but I don't always listen if it will make it better / stronger .I am one for overkill !

ksboi
11-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks man a lot of people told me not to do it said I didnt need to but I don't always listen if it will make it better / stronger .I am one for overkill !

I thought about building a k24 block in the future and slapping it into my car. I may do this also I will talk to my machinist. He just built a 1000hp 630ci big block for some guy so he knows his stuff.

BoostedK20
11-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Great information! Thank you vdubkilla