PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Cowl modifications?

echo3gulf
10-28-2013, 12:54 AM
Okay so this has been bugging me for several months now and at this point i dont care if it is a dumb topic or question. So when i first turbo'd my civic i didnt heat wrap anything in my bay, reading that heat wrapping the manifold would hold in moisture and eventually crack you manifold. I didnt heat wrap any of my wires along the fire wall wither, didnt occure to me at the time i was just ready to go fast. Well one night i was called out by a boosted em1 i did the dumb thing of racing him three times right in a row. Destroying him every time! After the carnage i went to turn around and noticed my steering wheel was really stiff and that my steering wheel light was on. I thought i would disconect the battery and it would fix the problem. To this day im still without power steering, not complainig or anything, every once and awhile it comes back on for a small amount of time kind of teasing me how easy it is to drive with it. I'll get it fixed this winter once the car is put up and i have another ride, but any ways i was wondering if anyone has ever messed with the plastic cowl to either make it to where it vents the heat or captures cold air to send it down where the turbo is?????? I dont even use that piece of metle any more that goes right under that at you can see the warm air rising out of the little holes at night... When i race i completly remove the cowl it just looks kinda dumb without it, or i would just leave it off all the time if it didnt look that bad or a gaping hole in the car.

So my question is, is there any way that the cowl can be designed to either A. drawl in cool air to keep the bay cooler? Or B. Maybe modified to vent out the heat that the manifold creates? Or am i just wasting my time with the idea cause of the way our car is designed?

ksboi
10-28-2013, 02:23 AM
Since we have electronic steering I think you could have melted the wires. Just check the wiring.

1JZ_Type-S
10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
After you do what ksboi suggested, WRAP YO SHIT! I didn't wrap my downpipe either, but all my wiring is protected. And I've had no electrical issues after boosting for 4 years.

ksboi
10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
After you do what ksboi suggested, WRAP YO SHIT! I didn't wrap my downpipe either, but all my wiring is protected. And I've had no electrical issues after boosting for 4 years.

Yes its about to be winter so drop subframe and get someone with small hands and wrap the wiring. I have seen a thermal spray I am looking into getting spraying my firewall and then rewrapping in gold thermal tape.

1JZ_Type-S
10-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Mine is falling off. I'll likely do my rewrap while my turbo is being rebuilt. Thankfully I have an unused box of zipties. Is there any difference between the gold reflection tape & silver tape?

echo3gulf
10-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Okay and from all of thst being said im guessing no one has tried to modify their cowl yet

ksboi
10-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Okay and from all of thst being said im guessing no one has tried to modify their cowl yet

No you could also remove the finder liner. Show me a pic man I will see if my fab guy can make something for you for cheap.

aLmk
10-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Yea you should put that dei gold foil on all the stuff back there.

echo3gulf
10-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Yes i get that. I already planed on doing that over the winter wrapping everything and relocating some stuff, and as for fender liners i dont have none kf that stuff in my engine bay.

BoostedK20
10-28-2013, 11:24 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is the Gruppe M intake that people were crazy about 4-5 years ago. It's a 'Ram Air' intake that also takes air from the engine bay. I wouldn't buy this, but this may help you move forward in your search.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4094/4770004343_5edc2c0276_o.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4140/4770636214_dfef74ffe0_o.jpg

If you're good with molding, carbon fiber holds heat very well. Your imagination is your limit.

vdubkilla
10-28-2013, 11:24 PM
I also had heat issues on my EG and have deformed 2 wiper cowlings now .I had my turbo manifold and dump tubes and down pipe ceramic coated and heat wrapped all of them it has really helped with heat in the bay though it still gets hot its not anywhere near as bad as it was .I have also heard the possibilities of manifolds cracking ect but the heat was imo more dangerous than not doing anything .Heat wrap your manifold ,dumptube, downpipe ,ect.. install turbo blanket ,and wrap as much as you can with heat shield it helps .I am also gonna look into that stuff that goes on the fire wall to protect the firewall / inside of the car from getting warm after a big pull .Its not as big of a deal in the winter as it's my source of heat haha but dam it aint much fun when its 90 degrees out

1JZ_Type-S
10-28-2013, 11:36 PM
I also had heat issues on my EG and have deformed 2 wiper cowlings now .I had my turbo manifold and dump tubes and down pipe ceramic coated and heat wrapped all of them it has really helped with heat in the bay though it still gets hot its not anywhere near as bad as it was .I have also heard the possibilities of manifolds cracking ect but the heat was imo more dangerous than not doing anything .Heat wrap your dump tube , install turbo blanket ,and wrap as much as you can with heat shield it helps .I am also gonna look into that stuff that goes on the fire wall to protect the firewall / inside of the car from getting warm after a big pull .Its not as big of a deal in the winter as it's my source of heat haha but dam it aint much fun when its 90 degrees out

Lol @ your "heater". I'm in the same boat. The colder it is, the more I boost. Lol

monjarassi
10-28-2013, 11:41 PM
i must say my wiper cowl held up the duration of the time i had the dumptube out the wiper hole, pipe was un coated and shot a couple flames here n there.
Not to mention my cowl is plastidipped black.

vdubkilla
10-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Lol @ your "heater". I'm in the same boat. The colder it is, the more I boost. Lol

I actually wish I had never deleted my heat and may re install it this winter as I still have everything .The turbo manifold does work though just mash it a few times with windows up and the car warms up pretty nicely inside haha

1JZ_Type-S
10-28-2013, 11:45 PM
I actually wish I had never deleted my heat and may re install it this winter as I still have everything .The turbo manifold does work though just mash it a few times with windows up and the car warms up pretty nicely inside haha

Haha. I'd have changeable temp settings, but the little mount that holds the wire in place, broke. So I need to ziptie that thing to keep it from moving

MajorWeak
10-29-2013, 12:31 AM
I was having some problems with heat as well. I recently wrapped all the wires, hoses, and throttle cable in the area. I wrapped my downpipe with exhaust wrap and noticed a huge difference. Since i have a top mount shitty long mani there is a ton of heat still. So, I cut a slot in the cowl to release heat quicker. At stop lights i notice the waves of heat escaping. The other side isn't done but this is what im working with now.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x240/StraightEpPower/20131026_192202_zpsa1337aa9.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x240/StraightEpPower/20131027_150608_zps1db95bcf.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x240/StraightEpPower/20131027_150510_zpsbfce76ba.jpg

Spaz
10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Instead of wrapping your parts send them out for JetHot Coating. Then wrap your wiring and such.

ksboi
10-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Mine is falling off. I'll likely do my rewrap while my turbo is being rebuilt. Thankfully I have an unused box of zipties. Is there any difference between the gold reflection tape & silver tape?

About the same but I think gold has a higher temp rating. Let me know I can get you some DEI wrap

echo3gulf
11-15-2013, 02:00 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=552459351501691&set=pb.100002128937703.-2207520000.1384495145.&type=3&theater