PDA

View Full Version : Need trans help!!!!!

froggyfredd
10-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Alright fellow boost lovers today I rebuilt my trans from a broken second gear I replaced 1-2nd with ppg gears and got just new case bearings because all the neglect bearing in the shafts appeared ok, I also got synchrotech carbon sychros. Long story short I put it all in and in neutral clutch depressed there's no noise but let the clutch out a ticking noise come from it sounds like the top of the trans where the shift assembly goes but who knows exactly. I've come to the terms I must pull the damn thing out again but any ideas what it could be I've rebuilt it a couple times before with no huge issues other than blowing the teeth off second but I know I'm only human and could have made a simple error. I've seen people say u have to grind down ur reverse shift fork with ppgs but I wouldn't see why, any input is helpful guys thanks :)

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 08:00 PM
The issue was the reveres fork riding on first because I guess the ppg gears are slightly larger. So if you buy these grind your reverse shift fork down so you done have to do what I did, got her back up and running though after 3 months woot!!!!woot!!!!!

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 09:15 PM
thats good man same thing happen to a buddy of mine with those ppg gears that thing came out 3 times b4 we got it rite.

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah man playin the put it in take it out game gets old fast lol I bought them through Kmod and will never do business with them again since he would rarely respond to my emails about the where abouts of the gears and then I had this issue and he didn't respond till this evening when I bitched and said I wasn't goin to buy anything from him again. He tried to say the shimming of my trans must be screwed up cuz he's never had to grind anything down I just can see how vertical shimming on the shafts would prevent horizontal contact between and fork and gear.

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Yeah man playin the put it in take it out game gets old fast lol I bought them through Kmod and will never do business with them again since he would rarely respond to my emails about the where abouts of the gears and then I had this issue and he didn't respond till this evening when I bitched and said I wasn't goin to buy anything from him again. He tried to say the shimming of my trans must be screwed up cuz he's never had to grind anything down I just can see how vertical shimming on the shafts would prevent horizontal contact between and fork and gear.

yea i have heard bad stuff from them thats sucks doh cause how hard is it to help a customer when in need, its not like it takes hours to respond to ab inquisition.

Wish i would have seen this earlier i wouldve shined some light man,

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
No big deal man at least our trans are fairly simple I was just freakin out cuz these gears wiped out like all my savings lol and I didn't wanna hurt them. Oh and I forgot to mention he had plenty of time to post videos on fb (which is where I messages him) of him drag racing SMH.

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 09:48 PM
No big deal man at least our trans are fairly simple I was just freakin out cuz these gears wiped out like all my savings lol and I didn't wanna hurt them. Oh and I forgot to mention he had plenty of time to post videos on fb (which is where I messages him) of him drag racing SMH.

dang thats horrible customer servive

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 09:52 PM
dang thats horrible customer servive
Agreed sir lol

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 10:09 PM
how you liking those syncros??

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Im looking to build my 5speed and want to try those out

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Omg dude they are badass I've never had my car change gears so fast like no joke. I was iffy about them because there aren't many reviews on that I could find anyway, but yeah man first impression are great on these synchros

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 10:13 PM
How long have u had them for?

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 10:22 PM
A day lol I installed them brand new with the new gears

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 10:29 PM
A day lol I installed them brand new with the new gears

a ok...

i guess try and keep me posted as the days come. and by any chance was there any modding needed to fit them or they just plug and play

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Will do and just plug and play :)

froggyfredd
10-13-2013, 10:32 PM
And there customer service was on par unlike certain folk

monjarassi
10-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Will do and just plug and play :)

:boostedk20:

aLmk
10-14-2013, 06:19 PM
I have also heard a lot of horror stories about them and frankly not a single good one that didn't come from KMOD directly.... Sad...

Im looking to build my 5speed and want to try those out
Ryan, snizzletoff on here, used them in one of his transmissions and really hated them. He highly suggests sticking with OEM. Perhaps he got a bad batch, but I believe him and Vit both had issues with theirs and went back to OEM synchros, hopefully they will chime in. VitViper snizzletoff

VitViper
10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
OEM syncros 4tw. THey may not all be fancy carbon coated and such -- but at least the splines don't disintegrate after 20 miles.

monjarassi
10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
OEM syncros 4tw. THey may not all be fancy carbon coated and such -- but at least the splines don't disintegrate after 20 miles.

thanks for the input!!! Means alot

froggyfredd
10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
That makes me feel great!! Glad I got them lol I like them sofar but only 100 miles on them

snizzletoff
10-17-2013, 08:45 AM

^yeahthat

thanks for the input!!! Means alot

A bit late on this one, but I totally agree with Vit, I got the synchrotech carbon syncros brand new from synchrotech directly around September 2012. They had an update before then on them that's why the date is important. I was revving to 8800 at the time. And they were no better than OEM, in fact I thought they were worse.

The issues with our cars transmission isn't the synchros. its typically a CMC adjustment issue, but once you grind a gear a few times you ruin the engagment teeth on both the gear and the sleeve itself. Once this happens nothing will fix it short of replacing the gear.

monjarassi
10-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Wow that sucks that kinda ruins my plans :nervous:

aLmk
10-17-2013, 11:18 AM
What were your plans? Why not just use OEM synchros?

monjarassi
10-17-2013, 12:31 PM
What were your plans? Why not just use OEM synchros?

Ok well here were the plans:
Cryo-treat the gears
Replace syncros(OEM/syncrotech)
MTEC race spring

I have a bud from Louisiana thats been using this similar in his kswap 5spd tranny and every yr he upgrades the motor or anything to add more power the dam tranny is still holding up!!

We talking a bout a 600-750hp kswap tuned on BBG and running full slicks on the streets.
Thats why i dont get why many ppl have had bad experience with the Synchrotech syncros

aLmk
10-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Cryo-treat the gears
MTEC race spring

I have a bud from Louisiana thats been using this similar in his kswap 5spd tranny and every yr he upgrades the motor or anything to add more power the dam tranny is still holding up!!

We talking a bout a 600-750hp kswap tuned on BBG and running full slicks on the streets.
Thats why i dont get why many ppl have had bad experience with the Synchrotech syncros
Not sure how it ruined your plans though? You can use the stock synchros... Or you can use the synchrotech ones... Also have you heard of Racer Steve on honda-tech? He treats gear and has had quite a success rate. I got some gears treated by him, but haven't put them in yet.

monjarassi
10-17-2013, 02:46 PM
Not sure how it ruined your plans though? You can use the stock synchros... Or you can use the synchrotech ones... Also have you heard of Racer Steve on honda-tech? He treats gear and has had quite a success rate. I got some gears treated by him, but haven't put them in yet.

Ill look him up and see what i can work out i had found a shop in Florida that does them but only on the weekends or sum like that

aLmk
10-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Ill look him up and see what i can work out i had found a shop in Florida that does them but only on the weekends or sum like that
Gotcha, his treatment is $200 with the good reviews I figured I'd give it a shot. You just send him the gears all broken down and the shafts too.

monjarassi
10-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Gotcha, his treatment is $200 with the good reviews I figured I'd give it a shot. You just send him the gears all broken down and the shafts too.

yea thats very affordable.. I wouldnt mind given a shot, its worth a try

aLmk
10-17-2013, 04:02 PM
His username on honda tech is racerstev

monjarassi
10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
His username on honda tech is racerstev

aight coo!!! :fyea:

snizzletoff
10-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Cryo-treat the gears
MTEC race spring

Don't cryo treat your gears. That makes the gears harder. Which makes them more brittle not more resistant to breaking. You actually want to reduce hardness if you want to increase rigidity and strength. Sounds odd I know. I ran 550 hp on mine with a cryo treatment and the gears had visible cracks when I pulled them.

As I said before synchros aren't really the cause of our issues, it's the engagement teeth on either the hub or the gear itself. Some people have fine results with the after market synchros, but it's honestly a waste of money.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

froggyfredd
10-17-2013, 08:46 PM
I still love my sychros from synchrotech they are as good as stock and shift fast but I still only have 400 miles on em

snizzletoff
10-17-2013, 08:50 PM
I still love my sychros from synchrotech they are as good as stock and shift fast but I still only have 400 miles on em

I'm not trying to put you down, really I'm not. But if they are "as good as stock" why not just get stock ones lol

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

froggyfredd
10-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Oh it don't bother me man lol as long as they don't disintegrate on me and I could never find stock ones that I didn't have to but the whole synchro assembly with :/