PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Makes Boost, however there is no power

A-2-B
10-02-2013, 04:01 PM
This is a linked thread to 8thcivic.com I do not feel like typing the entire problem all over again. Not to mention linking this will allow you to read previous comments, suggestions, and rule certain things out. PLEASE HELP.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbocharging/338121-turbo-spools-makes-boost-but-no-power-10.html#post12759489 (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbocharging/338121-turbo-spools-makes-boost-but-no-power-10.html#post12759489)

please help me

vdubkilla
10-02-2013, 09:56 PM
This is a linked thread to 8thcivic.com I do not feel like typing the entire problem all over again. Not to mention linking this will allow you to read previous comments, suggestions, and rule certain things out. PLEASE HELP.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbocharging/338121-turbo-spools-makes-boost-but-no-power-10.html#post12759489 (http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbocharging/338121-turbo-spools-makes-boost-but-no-power-10.html#post12759489)

please help me

Well I've read all 10 pages and it sounds like you have tried several things .I will say this Garrett does generally make good turbos I've owned 2 of them and the only issues I had were self inflicted .As far as you problem rather perplexing have you tried another waste gate and are you certain everything plumbed properly ?

PetefromtheStreets
10-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Did the car jump timing?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

A-2-B
10-03-2013, 12:15 PM
If it jumped timing would it show up on datalogs and flash pro? Everything is plumbed properly. It has a slight pull up till 3psi, then it just drops off. I can hear what sounds like my BOV and or WG opening. It holds the set boost level of 6psi all the way to redline. When I tested the turbo with a pressure test you can see in the YouTube video it leaks air down into my oil pan. When I close that hole. It leaks through the water cooling ports.

I had a greddy bolt on kit previously. It ran like a champ. No problems.

PetefromtheStreets
10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
When I tested the turbo with a pressure test you can see in the YouTube video it leaks air down into my oil pan. When I close that hole. It leaks through the water cooling ports.

I had a greddy bolt on kit previously. It ran like a champ. No problems.

Thats not good right there. Do You still have a pcv? Sounds like it voukd have burnt a valve or something. Maybe washed the rings. For some reason the air is getting past your piston rings and thats not good. Have you put the greddy kit back on after the fact to see if your problem is still there with that kit?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

PetefromtheStreets
10-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Thats not good right there. Do You still have a pcv? Sounds like it voukd have burnt a valve or something. Maybe washed the rings. For some reason the air is getting past your piston rings and thats not good. Have you put the greddy kit back on after the fact to see if your problem is still there with that kit?

Possibly a bent valve or blown head Gasket but either way No air should be getting into your oil pan

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
10-03-2013, 01:21 PM

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
He actually did put the greddy kit back on and it ran just fine. So it's not the piston rings.

PetefromtheStreets
10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
He actually did put the greddy kit back on and it ran just fine. So it's not the piston rings.

Now that's nuts!

Turbo possibly blew a seal and is letting air into the pan through it?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
10-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Now that's nuts!

Turbo possibly blew a seal and is letting air into the pan through it?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
That was the initial thought, he sent it to Garrett and they said it was fine. He also recently said the turbo is fine, although didn't say why he deducted that. But to me, the only major things changed from setups is the turbo and the turbo manifold. It obviously isn't a leak in the charge piping since the map sensor reads the boost, it isn't a leak in the IM or with piston rings because the greddy kit makes power just fine...

PetefromtheStreets
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
That was the initial thought, he sent it to Garrett and they said it was fine. He also recently said the turbo is fine, although didn't say why he deducted that. But to me, the only major things changed from setups is the turbo and the turbo manifold. It obviously isn't a leak in the charge piping since the map sensor reads the boost, it isn't a leak in the IM or with piston rings because the greddy kit makes power just fine...

Same bov being used on both setups? Not just same brand but exact same one?

It has to be in his calibration/tune or in the install from kit to kit.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

vdubkilla
10-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Seems to me that I read he is also changing wg and bov when going between the two kits .I think the issue is related to those or the install .However the test video of the turbo does seem odd to me but I can't say I have ever tested mine like that and checked for air coming out of the oil drain or coolant ports.Garrett told him it was normal which also does not seem normal but they are the experts .I just don't see how the turbo produces the set 6 psi how it would make no power or not be able to go beyond that boost level an odd situation.Lets face it exhaust happens turbo spins = boost it has to be something besides the turbo imo . However knowing who is tuning it I highly doubt / am certain the tuner is NOT the issue as Vit tunes many cars and I think he certainly knows his stuff .

aLmk
10-03-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm thinking it has to be related to the exhaust side of things. If the BOV was leaking, you wouldn't see the boost at the map sensor... If the intake manifold was leaking, it would leak with the greddy kit too... Are you using an exhaust manifold gasket when you install the manifold?

1SLOWFG2
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
It was stated in there that when Garrett tested the turbo the only did a "visual" inspection , in which test they would not see what's going on here. The turbo should not leak like that, and they said that once oil pressure builds it would stop that from happening, I don't see that as a possibility, it seems like a turbo issue. If there was a pre turbo leak exhaust leak it would still make power the turbo would just work harder to make the boost .

A-2-B
10-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Exactly... ^^^ The turbo makes this snarling growl sound once the power drops off.. and it just does not seem normal to me for it to make that sound. especially when the drop in power happens....

vdubkilla
10-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I'd love to see and hear this set up to try to determine the cause of your issue and I'd also like to talk to Garrett and let them explain the air coming out of the oil drain and coolant ports of the turbo if my turbo wasn't installed I'd be out there trying the same test .I wonder does anyone on here have a known good Garrett turbo they can do this test on ???

1SLOWFG2
10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
There's no way it's normal for that too happen, I mean if you hook up the coolant ports that would just fill your cooling system with air, no way in hell that is right!

Si Speed 317
10-04-2013, 01:52 AM
I'd love to see and hear this set up to try to determine the cause of your issue and I'd also like to talk to Garrett and let them explain the air coming out of the oil drain and coolant ports of the turbo if my turbo wasn't installed I'd be out there trying the same test .I wonder does anyone on here have a known good Garrett turbo they can do this test on ???

Just so happens that I have a nice GT42RS sitting on my table. What do you want me to do?

vdubkilla
10-04-2013, 08:43 AM
There's no way it's normal for that too happen, I mean if you hook up the coolant ports that would just fill your cooling system with air, no way in hell that is right!

I agree as it doesn't make sense hence the reason I'd love to hear Garrett explain their explanation .

Just so happens that I have a nice GT42RS sitting on my table. What do you want me to do?

Did you see the test video he did on his turbo ? Do the same test he did and lets see if the results are the same I highly doubt they will be but this would 100% prove it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhikr9mcKd8

1SLOWFG2
10-04-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm going to pull my comp off this weekend an test it , cause if that's normal for one turbo it should be for all !

aLmk
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Ya I agree, I can't see how it could let pressure into those ports, and I also don't see how oil pressure would fix the problem. If it leaked without the oil pressure, wouldn't the oil leak too then? Idk maybe I'm over looking something more complicated, but just doesn't seem right....

A-2-B
10-04-2013, 01:46 PM
thats exactly what Mike over at TurbosDirect AZ told me. The oil pressure will keep the seals sealed.. if it was leaking air out the cooling ports. there would be oil everywhere! I agree on that. HOWEVER. I had mentioned that it wouldn't disperse air out the cooling ports if I had left the oil return port opened.

aLmk
10-04-2013, 02:02 PM
You did install an oil feed restrictor right?

A-2-B
10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah, the nipple thing.

Si Speed 317
10-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by that.... Could you explain further?

In your oil feed, there is a fitting that restricts the amount of oil that the turbo gets, commonly known as an oil feed restrictor. Ball bearing turbos need this, typically journals don't. It goes between the oil feed and turbo fittings. You can find them at ATPturbo.com

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/08/e6y5upe6.jpg

aLmk
10-07-2013, 04:03 PM
:yeahthat: you don't need one for your greddy turbo.

BoostedK20
10-08-2013, 04:26 PM
:yeahthat: you don't need one for your greddy turbo.

But he does with his other kit that he's having issues with

aLmk
10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
But he does with his other kit that he's having issues with
Yes! I simply added that because he may have not been aware since he didn't need one with his greddy kit.

A-2-B
10-09-2013, 01:14 AM
... you I dont have a restrictor on the kit -_____- if that is the problem... i'm going to be embarrassed. I did have to use a nipple thing similar to that to connect the oil line. but its the same looking one as before on the greddy kit. Could that be the reason why it this kit is failing?!

A-2-B
10-09-2013, 01:14 AM
Also, if so. Please do explain to me how it makes the difference?

aLmk
10-09-2013, 01:31 AM
Ball bearing turbos require far less oil than journal bearing turbos and need a restrictor to prevent the oil flow to the turbo from exceeding what it can handle. I'm not sure if that could cause your problem or not, but regardless you should be using one.

A-2-B
10-09-2013, 02:36 AM
that size wont starve it from oil? does the gt3076R already have a built in restrictor?

aLmk
10-09-2013, 10:50 AM
that size wont starve it from oil? does the gt3076R already have a built in restrictor?
It does not have one built it, and you should be using a restrictor. It won't starve it of oil, it isn't supposed to get much oil.

A-2-B
10-09-2013, 03:14 PM
could that be why I am having this problem?

aLmk
10-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Maybe... I would think it definitely could, but I don't want to say anything for sure, that I'm not positive of. I know you definitely should be using a restrictor.

Si Speed 317
10-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Well, typically that would force oil through your seals and you'd be getting some smoking, not to mention oil that you'd notice if you took the intake off. Would it cause this issue? I wouldn't think so. However, it's one less issue. With that said, let's fix this one by one. So let's see where this leads us

BoostedK20
10-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Is it a faulty EBC? Another member just had a similar issue.

A-2-B
10-14-2013, 04:09 PM
What is EBC? Electronic Boost controller? If that was the case, I wouldnt make 6psi when its set at 6psi.

aLmk
10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Yes EBC is electronic boost controller. But if you are using hondata/VitViper 3/4 port solenoid, it doesn't work like that. You don't set it for 6 psi. You set it for a duty cycle and whatever psi you get is what you get, you then tune the duty cycle based on your findings to get the desired boost level.

A-2-B
10-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Well it makes the boost numbers we set it at. Currently I am just using mechanical. I left it that way when I ruled the EBC out. Now its set at a 4psi spring. The lowest spring that came with the wastgate.

vdubkilla
10-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Well it makes the boost numbers we set it at. Currently I am just using mechanical. I left it that way when I ruled the EBC out. Now its set at a 4psi spring. The lowest spring that came with the wastgate.

What ever happened with this ? Did the issue get resolved or was it ever determined what the problem was ?

A-2-B
11-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Not yet, still waiting on a friend of mine to send me his turbo to test out.

Si Speed 317
11-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Not yet, still waiting on a friend of mine to send me his turbo to test out.

He send it out yet? I'm in for results... :shady:

1SLOWFG2
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Right I wanna know what going on with this

A-2-B
11-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Hasn't sent it yet. He is waiting for a box to ship the turbo in. At this point, i'm willing to buy his box so he can ship it already lol.

I did put the car on a lift the other day and checked my WG. That looked fine, nothing abnormal to me.

BoostedK20
11-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Hasn't sent it yet. He is waiting for a box to ship the turbo in. At this point, i'm willing to buy his box so he can ship it already lol.

I did put the car on a lift the other day and checked my WG. That looked fine, nothing abnormal to me.

Take and post pictures so we can help you as best as we can. Sometimes it's the simplest things that get overlooked. Better safe than sorry IMO.

A-2-B
11-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Pictures of what though?

vdubkilla
11-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Pictures of what though?

Man are you kidding me he is waiting on a box F... that I would have bought him a box and sent it with a return shipping label by now. I am just not that patient and this would be driving me nuts .

A-2-B
11-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I offered but he hasn't responded to my messages yet. It is what it is, the car is drivable.. I just want this to be fixed before march therefore if something needs to be replaced its under the one year warranty.