PDA

View Full Version : Clutches Reviews and Opinions

vdubkilla
07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Making this thread so we can all help others chose a good clutch for their k series cars .I Run a Competition Clutch Twin Disc , I mostly street drive the car 90% of the time and track the car occasionally although I do bang on it a lot .I have been running the twin for two seasons w/o issue and really love the fact that it holds the power so well and has never let me down now at over 550 on pump and over 650 on c16 .I will say the twin disc can be a little rough street driving in town if you don't rev match it when cruising but for all out bangin and raising hell on the track or street its a great clutch :turbosmiley: .I have also run a comp stage 4 in this car at 475 hp and it held for a while til I pulled the car apart for bigger goals and went with the Twin Disc at that time .I have had good luck with comp clutches and will likely stick with the brand .There are several good companies out there making clutches and many more expensive ones as well but for the money I'm quite content with comp clutches thus far .

ksboi
07-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I run CC stage 5 six puck, feels good but did come with a learning curve. Has not let me down yet knock on wood but it grabs very fast so it does take a few miles to get used to it and break it in. I love the deal I got since I work for BBN part time and free shipping :D

SAX JONZ
07-07-2013, 03:11 AM
I've been running the CCstage 4 as well. Heard they chatter a bit and thought, nah, not this one. Shortly after that I noticed a bit of chatter. I like it. Not a noticeable difference in clutch pedal pressure. I am running rotrex pushing 388.5 and 230-40 torque. No trouble with clutch yet.

1SLOWFG2
07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm running a cc stage 4 and I have no complaints as far as clamping force and pedal pressure. I do however feel that the clutch was the reason I hurt my first motor, I killed my thrust washers to the point they fell out and I had really crazy crank walk, my oil pump failed and my Vtc gear all because of metal shavings! Ill continue with this clutch but will be swapping to a tilton cmc and be putting a pedal stop in to keep from putting more pressure on the pressure plate then is needed.

aLmk
07-07-2013, 03:57 PM
I have an FX350, only been able to break-in the clutch for 500 miles. But it is great for DD IMO. Easy, light pedal feel (this is with an omni cmc too btw). If I get my ish straightened out, I will be putting around 300wtq through it, so hopefully it holds as it is rated just below that. Prior to this I had an exedy stage 1 and that clutch was amazing and I highly recommend it even for people with boost. Mine was in the car around 25k-30k miles 8k of them boosted seeing 260wtq and 300wtq for a week on race gas, when the clutch was removed because my transmission broke, it still looked to be in great shape; I simply replaced it with the FX350 because I didn't want to do the clutch job twice as the exedy is not 'rated' anywhere near my power level. Additionally, Vit is using the exedy stage 1 in his newest 8th gen and he was making just over 500whp on E85 with his GTX3071 and its holding for him. Overall, I'd say the exedy stage 1 is an awesome clutch! The FX350, time will tell....

1JZ_Type-S
10-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Hows that fx350 hold up? I've been looking to replace my CC stage 4 with a solid disc system

1JZ_Type-S
10-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Also, I've never experienced crank walk. How would I know if I have it? Lately I feel like my car is slower than normal, but I haven't change anything on my setup after the tune

Frostydc5
10-27-2013, 10:58 PM
im at over 500whp on pump and at 330wtq on a comp clutch stage 4 no issues on the street i have a feeling that on race gas and slicks it will be a different story, i plan on moving to a twin disk in the future but so far so good on the stage 4 6 puck with no complains

aLmk
10-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Hows that fx350 hold up? I've been looking to replace my CC stage 4 with a solid disc system
It's been fine, but I haven't put a ton of miles on the car with it yet. But it help over 300wtq at the track on slicks without slipping. I'd say its not as nice to drive as my exedy stage 1, but I don't think it's too terrible.

1JZ_Type-S
10-27-2013, 11:19 PM
It's been fine, but I haven't put a ton of miles on the car with it yet. But it help over 300wtq at the track on slicks without slipping. I'd say its not as nice to drive as my exedy stage 1, but I don't think it's too terrible.

I imagine there's no chatter, since its a solid disc...?

aLmk
10-28-2013, 08:25 AM
Very little. The fx 350 is like a hybrid. It it's a solid disk but with 8 separate friction pads on it.

snizzletoff
10-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Its not a solid disk. Its a segmented disk, it can have a bit of chatter but its pretty rare and depends how you let the clutch pedal out. I pulled my fx350 off after 3k miles or so...still looked brand new with ~340ft/lbs I never tracked with it though, just a lot of hard street driving.

1JZ_Type-S
10-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Good to hear. I'm only peaking at 280 ft/lbs, so I should be good. I'm just tired of the 6 puck, as my car is a DD that occasionally hits traffic & goes through parking structures

ksboi
10-28-2013, 11:05 AM
I love CC but I have heard good about ACT and FX. Let me know if yall need any deals on clutches. My boss is running twin disk in his drag car and its crazy stiff but when you are trying to hold back 800+ hp guess you need it.

aLmk
10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Good to hear. I'm only peaking at 280 ft/lbs, so I should be good. I'm just tired of the 6 puck, as my car is a DD that occasionally hits traffic & goes through parking structures
Honestly if I were you, and if I were to do it again, I would get an exedy stage 1. It will hold that power just fine and be super dd friendly.

Spaz
10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm on my second CC stg4 and for what I do and how I drive it works great. Can be tough if I get stuck in traffic sometimes but I'm so use to it doesn't bother me. Racecar lol

snizzletoff
10-29-2013, 09:51 AM
I love CC but I have heard good about ACT and FX. Let me know if yall need any deals on clutches. My boss is running twin disk in his drag car and its crazy stiff but when you are trying to hold back 800+ hp guess you need it.

I'm on my second CC stg4 and for what I do and how I drive it works great. Can be tough if I get stuck in traffic sometimes but I'm so use to it doesn't bother me. Racecar lol

CC clutches are "ok" but if you actually DD the car i think they are just plain rough. I used 2 for at least 1.5 years...first a comp stage 4 6 puck and then a stage 5 4 puck. They are ceramic so they don't last nearly as long as regular clutch, the engagement is straight up rough, and the pressure plate is just stiff as hell. DSM's have horrible crank walk because everyone thinks they need the craziest pressure plate out to hold power, also if you don't do a clutch pedal bypass your reeking havoc on your thrust bearing.

Im all for using a clutch that you need to hold the power you have, because doing 2 clutch installs to find out the first one didn't hold would blow. Typically though people use a clutch that is vastly more than what they need and i just don't get it. No offense to anyone, but if you regularly drive a CC clutch then driving something else like a clutch masters or excedy I think your opinion would quickly change. I know mine did.

SAX JONZ
01-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Interesting you should say that. Mine is doable, and traffic is not a big deal I guess but next time around I'll try something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Spaz
01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
I had an excedy and something went wrong with it and it destroyed my crank.

aLmk
01-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I had an excedy and something went wrong with it and it destroyed my crank.
Really?! That's surprising as exedy makes the OEM clutch. But I guess shit happens regardless, Chris said he thinks his CC clutch caused his thrust bearing to fail which caused massive crank walk and killed his motor :(

BoostedK20
01-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Really?! That's surprising as exedy makes the OEM clutch. But I guess shit happens regardless, Chris said he thinks his CC clutch caused his thrust bearing to fail which caused massive crank walk and killed his motor :(

I had no idea Exedy made the OEM clutch! Good info here, aLmk!