PDA

View Full Version : What Oil Weight Are You Using?

Si Speed 317
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe we can make this a poll, or a sticky even. What oil weight are you running, what brand, and why? I've been using Mobil1 synthetic for a long time, now that I'm boosted I use Mobil1 5W30 (for winter), and looking for 10W40 for spring/summer/fall. Fully Synthetic btw.

420Coupe
04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
10w40 valvoline high mileage comes in a red container.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6288/valvoline10w404lm.jpg

PetefromtheStreets
04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
I use ENEOS 0-w20. (this is what I was told to run by the shop that tuned me)
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890835-f9b9-8ba4.jpg

On another note I'd like to ask (sorry if this is thread jacking) what break in oil have you guys used and why?

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Spaz
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm using 5w30 Castrol Edge synthetic

Si Speed 317
04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
I use ENEOS 0-w20. (this is what I was told to run by the shop that tuned me)
http://184.72.239.143/mu/a6890835-f9b9-8ba4.jpg

On another note I'd like to ask (sorry if this is thread jacking) what break in oil have you guys used and why?

Tapatalk FTMFW!
Break-in oil when you first get the car or install your FI system? Either way, I used the same oil I normally do. I used Mobil1 5W30 and switch to 10W30 in the summer. Your tuner telling you 0W20 is very low to me.. You should be running at least 5W30, my tuner advised me 5W40 but I can't find it anywhere.

Side note: Eneos is friggin EXPENSIVE!

PetefromtheStreets
04-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Break-in oil when you first get the car or install your FI system? Either way, I used the same oil I normally do. I used Mobil1 5W30 and switch to 10W30 in the summer. Your tuner telling you 0W20 is very low to me.. You should be running at least 5W30, my tuner advised me 5W40 but I can't find it anywhere.

Side note: Eneos is friggin EXPENSIVE!

More like freshly built motor. Whats wrong with 0w20? Too much of a race oil and not a streetable oil or what?
I'm deff interested.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

fre$h si
04-08-2011, 03:19 AM
i was looking for m1 ep 10 40 but i cant find that shit anywhere and i think they discontinued it... most 10.40's i see r for high miliage

Si Speed 317
04-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Are we able to use high mileage?

420Coupe
04-09-2011, 03:13 AM
Are we able to use high mileage?

boosted technically run high mileage since they are pushing twice as much.. hence why high mileage is ideal for turbos although changing it every 2.5k-3k miles still required.

PetefromtheStreets
04-09-2011, 03:37 AM
So what's your guys take on that ENEOS 0w20??

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
04-09-2011, 09:45 AM
boosted technically run high mileage since they are pushing twice as much.. hence why high mileage is ideal for turbos although changing it every 2.5k-3k miles still required.
I thought turbo guys typically run extended performance. Anyone else chime on this?

So what's your guys take on that ENEOS 0w20??

Tapatalk FTMFW!
0W20 is way to low. OEM recommended oil weight is 5W30, so going to a lower full temperature weight is not a good idea. We should be running at least 5W30, ideally 0W40 - 5W40 according to my tuner. I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

Just for everyones information, this is what oil weights mean:
Let's say you're running 5W30. The W stands for winter, the 5 is the weight of the oil when you're engine is absolutely cold. The 30 is the weight of the oil when your motor is at full operating temperature. The weights of the oil don't actually change, it's the viscosity that they correspond to. Meaning 5 is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at cold start-up, and it ranges to 30, which is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at full operating temperature. Hope this clears things up!

soxfan143
04-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Right now I'm running Mobil 1 European car formula 0W-40. It's engineered for small displacement turbo motors. But I will be switching to the new Amsoil European car formula 5W-30 next oil change.

PetefromtheStreets
04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I thought turbo guys typically run extended performance. Anyone else chime on this?

0W20 is way to low. OEM recommended oil weight is 5W30, so going to a lower full temperature weight is not a good idea. We should be running at least 5W30, ideally 0W40 - 5W40 according to my tuner. I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

Just for everyones information, this is what oil weights mean:
Let's say you're running 5W30. The W stands for winter, the 5 is the weight of the oil when you're engine is absolutely cold. The 30 is the weight of the oil when your motor is at full operating temperature. The weights of the oil don't actually change, it's the viscosity that they correspond to. Meaning 5 is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at cold start-up, and it ranges to 30, which is the viscosity your oil corresponds to at full operating temperature. Hope this clears things up!

Good info about the oil. I actually didn't know that.

So my tuner is recommending me use the 0w20 but the internals are aftermarket....does that change my situation at all?

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
04-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Right now I'm running Mobil 1 European car formula 0W-40. It's engineered for small displacement turbo motors. But I will be switching to the new Amsoil European car formula 5W-30 next oil change.
Any specific reason?

Good info about the oil. I actually didn't know that.

So my tuner is recommending me use the 0w20 but the internals are aftermarket....does that change my situation at all?

Tapatalk FTMFW!

I dont believe so, maybe a little but not much. I'll let Mike chime in on that one. He's my tuner :thumb:

PetefromtheStreets
04-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Any specific reason?

I dont believe so, maybe a little but not much. I'll let Mike chime in on that one. He's my tuner :thumb:

Ok so ENEOS's 0w20 is comparable to others 5w20. So it's not too light of an oil. I was told I may need to change to 0w50

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
04-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Ok so ENEOS's 0w20 is comparable to others 5w20. So it's not too light of an oil. I was told I may need to change to 0w50

Tapatalk FTMFW!

But the viscosity of the oil at full operating temp on the stock motor is 30, if anything yours should be the same or higher.

bmnorm2
04-10-2011, 01:25 PM
The viscosity is too low for turbo! If the manufacturer suggests 5w-30 on the stock engine then if anything I would move up to 5w-40 with boost

Si Speed 317
04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
:yeahthat:

Yoklus
04-10-2011, 01:56 PM
What do u guys think of running eneos 0w-50?

Si Speed 317
04-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I honestly don't know. I know Mike suggested I run 0w40 or 5w40, never 50 though. Plus, eneos is figgin expensive.

fre$h si
04-10-2011, 04:43 PM
^ hell ya like double the price

Si Speed 317
04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I want to find out about the extended performance vs high mileage synthetic oils. Which is better for us to use?

fre$h si
04-10-2011, 06:29 PM
^ same here

PetefromtheStreets
04-10-2011, 08:35 PM
The viscosity is too low for turbo! If the manufacturer suggests 5w-30 on the stock engine then if anything I would move up to 5w-40 with boost

I have a supercharged car. The guy tuning my car knows allot more about this stuff then I do. He recommended me use it. I know nothing as of why. But he said if I start to consume the oil then i should run the 0w50

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
04-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I have a supercharged car. The guy tuning my car knows allot more about this stuff then I do. He recommended me use it. I know nothing as of why. But he said if I start to consume the oil then i should run the 0w50

Tapatalk FTMFW!

I have never heard of a boosted k20 motor running anything less than Xw30. Xw20 is too low, even for a supercharger. You should be at least running 5W30. Regardless of your setup, your oil viscosity rating should NOT be less than your motor when stock. Bad for your motor man.

hondahead814
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
i run mobil1 5w-30 all the time in my car and also did a transmission fluid change and switched to amsoil syncromesh tranny fluid also love that stuff now. great combo!! :vtec:

PetefromtheStreets
04-11-2011, 12:08 AM
I have never heard of a boosted k20 motor running anything less than Xw30. Xw20 is too low, even for a supercharger. You should be at least running 5W30. Regardless of your setup, your oil viscosity rating should NOT be less than your motor when stock. Bad for your motor man.

I'll really have to talk with him about it then. I know allot of stuff buy Like I said before I dont know much about the subject of oil so I'm a big time noob in that department

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
04-11-2011, 10:00 AM
i run mobil1 5w-30 all the time in my car and also did a transmission fluid change and switched to amsoil syncromesh tranny fluid also love that stuff now. great combo!! :vtec:
Looks like I'll be making a tranny fluid thread as well, lol. Amsoil syncromesh is ok but not that good for our transmissions. You should use Redline MTL for OEM gears in our transmissions.

I'll really have to talk with him about it then. I know allot of stuff buy Like I said before I dont know much about the subject of oil so I'm a big time noob in that department

Tapatalk FTMFW!
I would definitely have a chat with him, but it seems like he's not the one to go to if he told you to run Xw20, no disrespect. Stick with the guys that know their cars, we won't steer you wrong.

vdubkilla
11-29-2011, 11:42 PM
I run Amsoil 5w 30 in my engine and Amsoil syncromesh in my Transmission and love the stuff .

Si Speed 317
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I'll be switching over to Amsoil 5w30 synchromesh tranny fluid tomorrow, I bought it ~3 years ago and never used it :facepalm: I'm currently running Redline MTL (70w80) and loved it. Time to see how Synchromesh is.

I'll also be switching to 0w40 for engine oil as per my tuner and a ton of other top notch guys (Geoff from FR) and see how it goes. I've been running 5w30 and 10w30, so hopefully the new stuff is awesome.

HRsi-dan
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm gonna be running M1 0w-40 soon (as in I'm changing my oil this weekend). I read about it over on 8thcivic and heard lots of good things about it.

Spoolin_VTEC
03-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm gonna be running M1 0w-40 soon (as in I'm changing my oil this weekend). I read about it over on 8thcivic and heard lots of good things about it.

It's an awesome oil, just hard to get. Where did you find it? Online?

1JZ_Type-S
10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Another old thread I'm revamping, but I've been running Shell's Rotella T6 motor oil for a couple years after switching from Mobil 1. When I switched, I also went from 5w-30 to 5w-40. As mentioned before, the "5w" is for when your engine is "cold" (i.e. not up to operating temperature). The "40" is your oil's viscosity rating for when the engine is at operating temperature. Personally, I feel that when going from N/A to boost, the oil weight should always go up, on account of the increased temperatures (e.g. 5w-40, 0w-40, 5w-50, etc). Heres my reasoning for the weight of the oil I've chosen:

I live in San Diego, so our temps typically don't dip much below 60. So I'm able to run one weight all year. My weight of choice has been 5w-40 (as mentioned above). However, since I'm not running a restrictor on my JB turbo, my cold engine oil pressure is really high (roughly 70psi). So my thinking is that I'll start running 0w-40, since I need the 40 weight for operating temps, & the 0w weight to lower the pressure that will cause damage to the turbo's internals. This is purely theoretical, but it makes sense to me. :shrug:

aLmk
10-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Another old thread I'm revamping, but I've been running Shell's Rotella T6 motor oil for a couple years after switching from Mobil 1. When I switched, I also went from 5w-30 to 5w-40. As mentioned before, the "5w" is for when your engine is "cold" (i.e. not up to operating temperature). The "40" is your oil's viscosity rating for when the engine is at operating temperature. Personally, I feel that when going from N/A to boost, the oil weight should always go up, on account of the increased temperatures (e.g. 5w-40, 0w-40, 5w-50, etc). Heres my reasoning for the weight of the oil I've chosen:

I live in San Diego, so our temps typically don't dip much below 60. So I'm able to run one weight all year. My weight of choice has been 5w-40 (as mentioned above). However, since I'm not running a restrictor on my JB turbo, my cold engine oil pressure is really high (roughly 70psi). So my thinking is that I'll start running 0w-40, since I need the 40 weight for operating temps, & the 0w weight to lower the pressure that will cause damage to the turbo's internals. This is purely theoretical, but it makes sense to me. :shrug:
I ran M1 when I was bolt ons, switched to amsoil signature synthetic 5w30 when I first went boost, but after hearing about the rotella I switched to that. IMO it is the ideal weight for a boost k series for the reasons above and because I need the 5w weight since I live in the mid-atlantic it does get below freezing here in the winter. I also switched from amsoil to rotella because the rotella can be found at typical auto stores/walmart for a reasonable price, and the amsoil is not sold at typical auto places and costs ~$10/quart.

1JZ_Type-S
10-22-2013, 08:04 PM
I ran M1 when I was bolt ons, switched to amsoil signature synthetic 5w30 when I first went boost, but after hearing about the rotella I switched to that. IMO it is the ideal weight for a boost k series for the reasons above and because I need the 5w weight since I live in the mid-atlantic it does get below freezing here in the winter. I also switched from amsoil to rotella because the rotella can be found at typical auto stores/walmart for a reasonable price, and the amsoil is not sold at typical auto places and costs ~$10/quart.

Amsoil is really good, but to each their own. I personally can't afford to use that oil. Especially since I change my oil roughly every 3000 miles. An old friend swears by Royal Purple, but I feel its yet another overpriced oil brand. One brand I'll never use again, is Castrol. I had just installed a brand new turbo, & decided I'd test out their new Edge full synthetic oil as well. Big mistake. Roughly 500 miles down the road, & I progressively start puffing out blue smoke like a locomotive. It goes without saying what happened, & I consequently had to swap back to my old, worn turbo that I was planning on replacing the bearings in. Call it what you will, but I'll never touch anything Castrol ever again

Frostydc5
10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
I use RP 10w-30 or Eneos 10w-30 or Motul 10w-30, try to stick to RP but the other two are an option if the shop is out of it, and for break in oil i used Motul break-in oil i know this is an old thread but i just read through it lol

vdubkilla
10-22-2013, 10:13 PM
I run Amsoil 10w 30 Z rod very happy with it .I've used Amsoil in a lot of engines and with a preferred customer account it really isn't that expensive .

MajorWeak
10-22-2013, 10:35 PM
I use RP 10w-30 or Eneos 10w-30 or Motul 10w-30, try to stick to RP but the other two are an option if the shop is out of it, and for break in oil i used Motul break-in oil i know this is an old thread but i just read through it lol

I use the same but prefer eneos over RP.

I run Amsoil 10w 30 Z rod very happy with it .I've used Amsoil in a lot of engines and with a preferred customer account it really isn't that expensive .

The only way i can get amsoil is a shady house in the ghetto. The sign is all beat to shit and tagged, but if you knock 2 little asian kids will open the door. If you ask for Amsoil, they will say no words, run away and a petite asian little with come to the door and tell you to meet her by the garage. Once she opens it, there is boxes full to the ceiling of any kind of amsoil. must be thousands of dollars worth. Craziest oil pick up i have ever had.

1JZ_Type-S
10-22-2013, 10:47 PM
The only way i can get amsoil is a shady house in the ghetto. The sign is all beat to shit and tagged, but if you knock 2 little asian kids will open the door. If you ask for Amsoil, they will say no words, run away and a petite asian little with come to the door and tell you to meet her by the garage. Once she opens it, there is boxes full to the ceiling of any kind of amsoil. must be thousands of dollars worth. Craziest oil pick up i have ever had.

LMAO! Check the boxes, bro. They may have GPS trackers on them

vdubkilla
10-22-2013, 11:05 PM
I use the same but prefer eneos over RP.

HAHA sounds pretty shady ! Can't you get it shipped right to your door thru a distributor ? mine comes out of Pennsylvania and is almost always here in 24 hours which is super convenient as it's only 1 day shipping from Pa.

MajorWeak
10-22-2013, 11:13 PM
HAHA sounds pretty shady ! Can't you get it shipped right to your door thru a distributor ? mine comes out of Pennsylvania and is almost always here in 24 hours which is super convenient as it's only 1 day shipping from Pa.

I can but at the time i had just finished the swap and wanted it quick. i have never gone back since.

boosted_teg
10-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Rotella t6 5w-40 here. I went from brad penn 20w50 to the rotella. I wish i had my oil pressure gauge when i was running the Brad Penn. Cold start its roughly 70-85. Driving im 70, idle 30. Mind you i got my oil squirters pluged up, so its getting extra oil pressure

Si Speed 317
10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
My local walmart just got the 5 quart 0W40 Mobil 1 European formula in.. $25!!!! I'm stocking up.

PetefromtheStreets
10-23-2013, 07:49 PM
My local walmart just got the 5 quart 0W40 Mobil 1 European formula in.. $25!!!! I'm stocking up.

Damn thats wassup

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
Cage plus radio member #1

PetefromtheStreets
10-23-2013, 11:01 PM
So what oil should I use in my built Motor? Try the rotella t6? Or 0w40? And why?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
10-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I like the rotella because it was designed for turbo diesels so it has additives that will help with boost, it's affordable, and widely available. Also, bobistheoilguy has lots of good reviews/tests involving it, and they generally don't like mobil 1 over there.

PetefromtheStreets
10-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Hmm. Turbos use engine oil s their cooling and lubrication so being about to tough out the environment it creates is a must. But what about say me where I'm supercharged and my blower has its own oiling system? What weight would you recommend for.me

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

boosted_teg
10-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't you use the same weight for turbo superchare or na? You should also take in consideration your bearing clearances when choosing an oil weight. Turbos require little pressure for oiling, which why (ball bearing) use a restrictor. Even some journal bearings should use one depending on their oil pressure from the motor. I personally saw a precision 6266 journal, -4an feed with no restrictor completly fall apart from the bearings inside.

The rotella contains zinc additives, same with brad penn, which is great protection for motors. (bearings, cams, rockers etc)

PetefromtheStreets
10-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Wouldn't you use the same weight as turbo? The rotella contains zinc additives, same with brad penn, which is great protection for motors. You should also take in consideration your bearing clearances when choosing an oil weight.

I'm unsure of the whole weight of oil situation. Zinc additives are what I heard are good and ive put a zinc additive in the oil as a part of the oil change routine. I've mainly used 5w30. what oil weight should I use it I had for the rotella? I live in md it's a range on cold winters being sometimes 20's-50's ferinheight and 80-100F in summer.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
10-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Hmm. Turbos use engine oil s their cooling and lubrication so being about to tough out the environment it creates is a must. But what about say me where I'm supercharged and my blower has its own oiling system? What weight would you recommend for.me

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

I'm unsure of the whole weight of oil situation. Zinc additives are what I heard are good and ive put a zinc additive in the oil as a part of the oil change routine. I've mainly used 5w30. what oil weight should I use it I had for the rotella? I live in md it's a range on cold winters being sometimes 20's-50's ferinheight and 80-100F in summer.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
I'm not an expert and would never claim to be. But in my opinion, 5w40 is a great weight for boosted k series motors, especially for us that live in areas that can get quite cold in the winter. The heavier 40 weight will help with the added stresses of boost, and ideally we want to maintain that 5w so the oil, when cold, gets through the engine as quickly as it needs to. Bobistheoilguy.com has a TON of info on all kinds of oils, if you really want to do some research that is a great place to do it. I like the rotella because it comes in the 5w40 weight, which is something that is not very common, it is readily available, affordable, has good additives, and the people on bobistheoilguy really like it :shrug:

aLmk
10-23-2013, 11:40 PM
Also, fwiw, Geoff of Full-Race recommends 10w40 for turbo k series as the 40 weight helps with the added stresses of the boost, but he also lives in AZ where it never really gets that cold so they can get away with a 10w.

PetefromtheStreets
10-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm not an expert and would never claim to be. But in my opinion, 5w40 is a great weight for boosted k series motors, especially for us that live in areas that can get quite cold in the winter. The heavier 40 weight will help with the added stresses of boost, and ideally we want to maintain that 5w so the oil, when cold, gets through the engine as quickly as it needs to. Bobistheoilguy.com has a TON of info on all kinds of oils, if you really want to do some research that is a great place to do it. I like the rotella because it comes in the 5w40 weight, which is something that is not very common, it is readily available, affordable, has good additives, and the people on bobistheoilguy really like it :shrug:

Great thank you very much . I'll be sure to look at the site you posted and read up to get my knowledge up.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

1JZ_Type-S
10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
For those who have cold, snowy winters, I would recommend running 0w-40. Reason is that when its cold outside & your engine is cold, you want your oil thinner, so it can get to your vital components quicker. The 40 is recommended because operating temp is going to remain relatively the same, so you'll still need that extra protection, even during the winter

BuBBaSBuBBLE
10-28-2013, 11:53 PM
whats up guys need a little help. Didn't want to make another thread on this being that my question has already been brought up. I have a fully built sleeved K24 with a Z1 head, I am about to strap on a GTX35r on it. The motor has about 1800 miles on it since the build. I've been using conventional oil for the break in. But now the question is what brand and what weight do you guys recommend for me to use now me being boosted? I have used brad penn 20w50 in my fully built 720hp evo, it was pretty good. Lots of evo guys use it and love it. Now I'm not sure if it was on here or k20a, I seen someone say that they use brad penn 20w50 on there boosted K and recommend it... what do you guys think? need a little help especially that my eg is almost done... thanks any input would be appreciated..

monjarassi
10-29-2013, 12:01 AM
i ran bradd penn on my z3 turbo and so does my friends rsx-s turbo 750+hp and my other bud with his tsx turbo 749+ hp both build motors on FP turbos

BuBBaSBuBBLE
10-29-2013, 12:31 AM
i ran bradd penn on my z3 turbo and so does my friends rsx-s turbo 750+hp and my other bud with his tsx turbo 749+ hp both build motors on FP turbos

what weight do you and buddies use? are they fully built engines?

monjarassi
10-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Yes their motors are fully build n sleeved.

Mine was stock.

20w/50

BuBBaSBuBBLE
10-29-2013, 12:46 AM
hmmm... interesting...they were using the same oil as you?

monjarassi
10-29-2013, 12:59 AM
hmmm... interesting...they were using the same oil as you?

Well I used the same oil as them yes. Even my tuner recommended it to me

PetefromtheStreets
10-29-2013, 09:50 AM
But your all located in Texas right? monjarassi

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

monjarassi
10-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Yess

aLmk
10-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Some more good info on oil choice: https://app.box.com/s/s3pfffhbw2ngjksfcb0s

Si Speed 317
10-30-2013, 01:18 AM

Well I used the same oil as them yes. Even my tuner recommended it to me

But your all located in Texas right? monjarassi

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
^ This. :goodpost: