PDA

View Full Version : Motor boost opinions

Jay Si
04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Hello, names jay si, I got a card at honda day and I've been researching about building my 06 si. I've been looking around for which kit to buy, or to piece 1 together. Anyone care to help me out. I'm on like a 5 g budget with everything. I'm looking for about 400 to 450 whp. Looking for info

1SLOWFG2
04-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Give us an idea of what's done to the car now, starting from bone stock and looking for 450 whp you may want to up your budget some.

ksboi
04-26-2013, 11:12 AM
If you are not in a rush then start piecing one together not the turbo but fuel pump, injectors ect ect.

snizzletoff
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Also what you plan to do with the car is a huge factor. Do you want 400hp just for fun, do you auto X or track? If you auto-x look into the centrifugal superchargers on the market. Do you have any current mods that could help you or that you might need to sell?

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 05:20 PM
I want to have a reliable 400 whp for daily driving and to hit the track at honda day or race on the streets hear and there. Right now she's bone stock. I've had it for about a year and I've just been saving up thinking of what to do.

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Yeah I mean I could up the budget prob to like 6 or 7 but I don't want to go crazy I'm not rich lol. In my sights right now is greedy, ajp or a custom build. Does anyone have boost on stock internals? How does it hold up and what can it handle? I was thinking maybe to do a little work to the internals and then put on the kit. Opinions and info please

aLmk
04-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Don't boost your civic! It will become haunted and do all sorts of stupid stuff!

In all seriousness if you want to boost your car do it. 5k is not enough. Do not touch the internals, especially with a 5k budget. Put parts on your car, have Vit tune it, go fast.

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Here's a pic of her right now. I'm leaving for the marines in 2 weeks so the build isn't going to start until January and I'll post more.

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Lol what kind of haunted things?

aLmk
04-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Nothing LOL. I've just been having some crazy issues recently. You will be fine.

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Ok I hear you. What kit do you have?

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 06:14 PM
So your saying no internals just run it with the kit?

Si Speed 317
04-27-2013, 06:23 PM
So your saying no internals just run it with the kit?

Yea, no need for internal work. These motors are Gods in the 4banger world in terms of creating power on boost. I'd run a JoTech or SRT C.U.T kit, will have you within your budget and easily making 400whp.

How did you get a card at Honda Day?

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 06:49 PM
I was talking with som1 with a black civic si about the build and he gave me a card. I think he said he was a admin or creator of the site. Ok cool thanks for the info. I've never heard of those kits, are they available to order online?

aLmk
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I think prl has an amazing kit available right now. Seriously go check out prl motorsports. I have a boost junkyz kit and it is unrelated to my issues.

PetefromtheStreets
04-27-2013, 09:30 PM
You could always join the world of rotrex. Kraftwerks has a good kit for you guys. And a few members on here run them. Making 400+

aLmk
04-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Ya Adam is right as well. Both have good offerings. The prl kit is fucking awesome IMO.

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I saw the Kraftworks kit, I've been thinking about that one to. I feel like a turbo would be more fun... Thanks for the info guys. If anyone has any more opinions or info on there experiences with their kit or more suggestions for me please share, thanks. I thinks I'm leaning toward a custom turbo build or the jotech kit looks cool.

Jay Si
04-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Anyone care to share about drivetrain issues or experiences when running boost on the stock transmission and clutch etc...

Si Speed 317
04-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I saw the Kraftworks kit, I've been thinking about that one to. I feel like a turbo would be more fun... Thanks for the info guys. If anyone has any more opinions or info on there experiences with their kit or more suggestions for me please share, thanks. I thinks I'm leaning toward a custom turbo build or the jotech kit looks cool.

Anyone care to share about drivetrain issues or experiences when running boost on the stock transmission and clutch etc...

I have quite an amount of info I'd like to share, but I'm half asleep. I'll post tomorrow for you, but we all definitely have information for you pertaining to clutches, trannys, etc.

And Spoolin_VTEC might have info on l trannys, but we're talking about vehicles and automotive conversation. ;)

Jay Si
04-28-2013, 03:14 AM
Ok I hear u thanks

aLmk
04-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Many people have good luck with the stock clutch on these cars. I say use the stock one till it dies.

Jay Si
04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Cool, yeah I'm deff going to do that. Original clutch has about 80,000 on it. I'm going to replace it soon, I'm just not sure what to get yet.

1SLOWFG2
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Cool, yeah I'm deff going to do that. Original clutch has about 80,000 on it. I'm going to replace it soon, I'm just not sure what to get yet.

I ran my stock clutch and it got me through tuning......barely and on the way to my first track night it took a crap! I was sooo pissed so just change it at turbo install time it makes more sense. Most run a stage 4 or stage 5 comp clutch but I would consider running a clutch masters clutch that's what ill be changing too!

aLmk
04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Ya when I upgrade I'm gonna go with a clutch masters 350.

Jay Si
04-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Okay, cool sounds good. Thanks guys. If anyone wants to share more please do, I'm doing lots of research so I can get the best set up that I can.

snizzletoff
04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
You can run stock internals if you want around 400-450whp. I ran 417whp/301tq for about 9 months, then i built my engine for more power never ran into any problems. As far as the transmission, that will vastly depend on how you drive. I had and still have a "mostly" stock SI transmission. and now im at 550whp/350tq. These engines are very stout, the tranny is the weak link. Launching at the track may prove some issues if you have 300tq but if you mainly drive on the streets you should be good for a very long time.

Make sure yout get motor mounts and lower control arm bushings (energy suspension makes a cheap set for us) This will prevent wheel hop. Wheel hop is the true killer of trans gears but a lot of power can do it too. It isn't a bad idea to keep a spare transmission around, or at the very least the gears you will probably break. If you go Supercharged 2nd gear is prone to breaking...3/4 if your turbo'ed.

If you have specific questions then fire away, but a lot of reliability question will be based on how you drive, how often the car will be driven at the track and things alone those lines...Simply put, the engine shouldn't have any issues at all completely stock if you stay under 450whp. People have had the k20z3 boosted for years and years without issues.

Jay Si
04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Cool man, great info thanks. I will deff keep all of that in mind. My build is going to start in January, I'll deff post it up.