PDA

View Full Version : Second Gear is a weak link

Spaz
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
I believe second gear is definitely the weakest link in a k24 swapped supercharged DC5 transmission.... What do you think?

I finally started cleaning up my shop/garage and realized how bad it really is since I'm breaking the same part over and over and over...

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5687-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5688.jpg

from best to worse... all the same gear...... :face:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5695.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5693.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5692.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5691-1.jpg

and some other misc broken pieces from my adventures
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5698-1.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/zzfunk13/k20%20trans%20teeth/100_5699.jpg

Si Speed 317
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't know about a supercharged K24 but I know a turbo'd K20 has 4th gear as the weak link :facepalm: Great pictures though. How are you rebuilding it?

Spaz
04-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't know about a supercharged K24 but I know a turbo'd K20 has 4th gear as the weak link :facepalm: Great pictures though. How are you rebuilding it?

Funny I'm in the process of rebuilding a friends turbo transmission that blew out fourth gear! lol

I've cryo treated and that still didn't work. I've basically just given up hope and I just keep buying new main shafts. They aren't that expensive. But I am saving up for PPGs

Si Speed 317
04-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Funny I'm in the process of rebuilding a friends turbo transmission that blew out fourth gear! lol

I've cryo treated and that still didn't work. I've basically just given up hope and I just keep buying new main shafts. They aren't that expensive. But I am saving up for PPGs

I'm telling you, turbo guys rape 4th gear :biggrin: Cryo treating, from what I've been told from 8thcivic, doesn't do anything in reality. It's better to run either straight OEM gears or just get albins/ppgs.

PetefromtheStreets
04-08-2011, 12:54 AM
I'd like to give those FRANA gears a try. Whenever he sells another batch.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

fre$h si
04-08-2011, 03:17 AM
do u power shift? and what kind of clutch?

Si Speed 317
04-08-2011, 11:56 PM
FRANA gears?

PetefromtheStreets
04-09-2011, 03:35 AM
FRANA gears?

"FRANA vehicles" was the guys name on k20a.org. He has a straight cut 1-2nd dog engagement gear set. He has sold a batch of the gears and is awaiting info on them from the customers before he makes another batch. I'm all in for them once they start making more of them.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Spaz
04-09-2011, 02:54 PM
do u power shift? and what kind of clutch?

I don't power shift and I'm running a CC stage 4

Si Speed 317
04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
"FRANA vehicles" was the guys name on k20a.org. He has a straight cut 1-2nd dog engagement gear set. He has sold a batch of the gears and is awaiting info on them from the customers before he makes another batch. I'm all in for them once they start making more of them.

Tapatalk FTMFW!
Interesting, any details on the quality etc?

PetefromtheStreets
04-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Interesting, any details on the quality etc?

Not as of yet. They are still testing the first batch of gears out. But as soon as the have some results I'll post some of the feedback on here.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Speedy
04-13-2011, 08:36 AM
I'd like to give those FRANA gears a try. Whenever he sells another batch.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Yea i saw that on k20a. See the problem is basically when you get traction with all that torque it put so much stress on the drivetrain the gear just snaps. He keeps breaking 2nd b/c hes probably getting traction in 2nd where most turbo guys on street tires dont get traction till 4th hence why we all break 4th.

SPAZ if you plan on staying supercharged the frana 1/2nd might be a good deal for you and save you some money.

PetefromtheStreets
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Yea i saw that on k20a. See the problem is basically when you get traction with all that torque it put so much stress on the drivetrain the gear just snaps. He keeps breaking 2nd b/c hes probably getting traction in 2nd where most turbo guys on street tires dont get traction till 4th hence why we all break 4th.

SPAZ if you plan on staying supercharged the frana 1/2nd might be a good deal for you and save you some money.

In my car I have major issues with spinning. 1-2-3 gears are all useless. Except on slicks I get traction in 2nd now. I would like to upgrade/downgrade to a 5 speed trans soon and keep my 4.7 FD. What do you guys think about that setup? And soon I want the 1-2 gears from FRANA.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

froggyfredd
04-22-2013, 03:41 PM
i broke 2nd too about a month ago trans is apart and got everything but the main shaft :/ has anyone had to wat a while for that? the parts guy at honda said it was on backorder and didnt know when one would be in....ohhh joyyy i miss my si

Si Speed 317
04-23-2013, 12:25 PM
i broke 2nd too about a month ago trans is apart and got everything but the main shaft :/ has anyone had to wat a while for that? the parts guy at honda said it was on backorder and didnt know when one would be in....ohhh joyyy i miss my si

I haven't heard of main shafts being on backorder, could be just in your area though. Toss up info and details on your tranny rebuild, a DIY for replacing a gear would be sick!

PetefromtheStreets
04-23-2013, 04:08 PM

I've never bought one brand new. I would find someone on a forum who's got a gearset and just buy the whole set. So now I have spares gears. I don't see why a main shaft would be on back order.

froggyfredd
04-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Deff. Will take some pics to show how the gears come off and assembly i wish i hadnt taken the case apart already so i could have taken pics of disassembly...and i never thought about gettin one off some one on the forum lol. Im sure a next time will come so i might as well prepare for it i suppose but thanks for the input guys and i will start a thread on the gear swap when my main shaft arrives.

Si Speed 317
04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
I've never bought one brand new. I would find someone on a forum who's got a gearset and just buy the whole set. So now I have spares gears. I don't see why a main shaft would be on back order.
^Truth.

Deff. Will take some pics to show how the gears come off and assembly i wish i hadnt taken the case apart already so i could have taken pics of disassembly...and i never thought about gettin one off some one on the forum lol. Im sure a next time will come so i might as well prepare for it i suppose but thanks for the input guys and i will start a thread on the gear swap when my main shaft arrives.
DIY would be great man, I'm sure many people could definitely use it. The more info we have, the more useful the forum is and that's all based on forum member contributions. And search for the mainshaft on forums, post it on the boostedk20 facebook. You never know what you'll find.

froggyfredd
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
just updating on my mainshaft ive talk to numerous honda parts dealers to see if i could find one but no luck and nobody has any knowledge of when its coming to the USA...as of right now im told from everyone i call its on a international backorder and there is no ETA on it :( so dont anyone go breaking second lol

PetefromtheStreets
05-09-2013, 01:11 PM
just updating on my mainshaft ive talk to numerous honda parts dealers to see if i could find one but no luck and nobody has any knowledge of when its coming to the USA...as of right now im told from everyone i call its on a international backorder and there is no ETA on it :( so dont anyone go breaking second lol

Honestly there was someone on clubrsx who had a si trans I could ask him how much for the main shaft if you'd like?

s4 petefromthestreets

froggyfredd
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Honestly there was someone on clubrsx who had a si trans I could ask him how much for the main shaft if you'd like?

s4 petefromthestreets

thanks for the offer man but i feel kinda uneasy puttiing a used mainshaft in its not to much of a headache to get our trans out but its not something i really dont have time to keep doing ya know?

PetefromtheStreets
05-09-2013, 01:39 PM
thanks for the offer man but i feel kinda uneasy puttiing a used mainshaft in its not to much of a headache to get our trans out but its not something i really dont have time to keep doing ya know?

Ok no problem. I understand not wanting to keep tearing the teams out being I did it twice in one weekend. Not fun at all.

s4 petefromthestreets

froggyfredd
05-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Ok no problem. I understand not wanting to keep tearing the teams out being I did it twice in one weekend. Not fun at all.

s4 petefromthestreets

jeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz lol NOT FUN!!! INDEED!

Si Speed 317
05-10-2013, 01:11 AM
I just realized this thread is over 2 years old! #GuruStatus

Second gear is still, in fact, a weak link.

snizzletoff
05-10-2013, 07:42 AM
I just realized this thread is over 2 years old! #GuruStatus

Second gear is still, in fact, a weak link.

Depends on your build, 2nd gear is the weak link for N/A and S/C because they hook considerably better than TC guys. We break 4th :ohnoes:

PetefromtheStreets
05-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Even all motor I didn't hook well in 2nd. Literally the torque sheared every tooth off of the mainshaft and quite a few off of the countershaft as well. And don't forget some of us SC guys are making big power too

s4 petefromthestreets

froggyfredd
06-05-2013, 04:09 PM
hey dudes i found this link on 8th civic and its badass!!!!!! shows u aton of useful stuff to do to rebuild you transmission. heres the link:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-transmission/294642-diy-how-install-final-drive-5-062-transmission-tear-down.html

Si Speed 317
06-08-2013, 10:09 AM
hey dudes i found this link on 8th civic and its badass!!!!!! shows u aton of useful stuff to do to rebuild you transmission. heres the link:
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-transmission/294642-diy-how-install-final-drive-5-062-transmission-tear-down.html

Thanks fredd! Can you repost that thread in the DIY section on here? You can give credit to the original poster, but posting that here would be great

SAX JONZ
07-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Ok Spaz, how long does it take to break 2nd gear? I drive like normal, I know how to shift and I never drop the clutch. I am sure that I will not have the patience to continue on in that fashion breaking second gear. I heard a few bad things about albins and that there was something else that was better? I dunno. I haven't gone down that road yet. What have you gotten to?

aLmk
07-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Ok Spaz, how long does it take to break 2nd gear? I drive like normal, I know how to shift and I never drop the clutch. I am sure that I will not have the patience to continue on in that fashion breaking second gear. I heard a few bad things about albins and that there was something else that was better? I dunno. I haven't gone down that road yet. What have you gotten to?
My second gear broke like 6 weeks ago. It happened out of nowhere, and I wasn't shifting hard or anything, so it can happen when you least expect it. PPG and albins both offer forged gears for our transmissions but they are extremely expensive, expect to pay about $6000 when all said and done on a built trans, possibly more. For that price, you can break many a stock transmissions before adding up to that cost :shrug: There is a guy on honda-tech that treats stock gear sets and from what I've read has had really good success making gears significantly stronger. I'm going to have a set treated by him and see how it works.

SAX JONZ
07-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Awesome. Keep me posted.

PetefromtheStreets
07-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Awesome. Keep me posted.

You can spend about 2500 for a 1st to 2nd dog engagment gear set. Drag cartel sells them and there is a group buy going on for frana to make another batch. His are about 2k. I plan on getting a set sooner or later when budget permits. I understand you can get 5 stock trans for the price of a forged gearset but I don't know about you, I don't feel like ripping my trans out all the time to replace gears as they break.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
07-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Petefromthestreets!!!! That is what I'm talking about! I'd rather take it up the ass once with gear set than to be switching out 5-6 times which really would be more like the life of owning car.
I was at the strip for first time. I was at once hooked. The track is so grippy! I guess that is why so many cars break.
I ran a mid 11 second quarter mile. I know had I got the launch right and shifted quicker I could easily break in to a solid 10 second quarter.
One of the guys broke his car, he was running a stock diff. He asked me if I still had my stock one. I told him "Yes, but why...?" Some people like wasting time doing the same thing. Isn't that the definition of crazy? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results?
About my track time...did it on my ZRX1200.

froggyfredd
08-04-2013, 12:43 AM
I busted my second again last week with only 2300 miles on it so i am bitin the bullet and buying ppg 1-2 helical cut gears....id of liked the straight cut but they were more expensive and i didnt wanna hear the noise of em lol.

ksboi
08-04-2013, 03:01 PM
I remember ppg used to sell 1-4 for k series but on the site it is gone. Let me know what yall find out about the gears. I rather have factory synchros and run some decent strength 1-4.

PetefromtheStreets
08-05-2013, 03:20 PM
I'll be going in for 1-2 dog gears from ppg or frana sometime next year. Dont have it in the budget this year already overspent that by a bit on the new motor

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Spaz
08-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I'll just keep breaking and repairing

SAX JONZ
08-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Pete, I'm with you on that. Been hemmhoraging cash at an slarming rate on not only my car but on my bikes.
:eek::)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

PetefromtheStreets
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Pete, I'm with you on that. Been hemmhoraging cash at an slarming rate on not only my car but on my bikes.
:eek::)

Yea man. Plus for the avearge driver or build, I wouldn't fork out money for a PPG gearset either. But when you race your car every weekend it's different. I want to win races and in order to do that I need parts that will hold what I can throw at them. Obviously stock gears only hold but so long.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
08-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Not saying I wouldn't go that route at all. First time I break it I'll be going that route as well. What's the point of building and having a major weak link? If trans breaks now car will see a lot of garage time. That's for sure. :beer:

ksboi
08-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I rather build it so ot will not break.

aLmk
08-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Not saying I wouldn't go that route at all. First time I break it I'll be going that route as well. What's the point of building and having a major weak link? If trans breaks now car will see a lot of garage time. That's for sure. :beer:

Well if you have a second trans case, you can be ready for it to break. And you can rebuild the stock transmission like 10 times over before adding up to the cost of PPG gears.

PetefromtheStreets
08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Well if you have a second trans case, you can be ready for it to break. And you can rebuild the stock transmission like 10 times over before adding up to the cost of PPG gears.

Yes a stock rebuild can be done many times for far less money. Idk about you but I HATE having to redo things. And with no lift, I hate taking my transmission out. Personally I think treated gears are just a way to get 1 or 2 more hard shifts out of the stock gears. I'll be uograding to either frana gears or ppg. Especially when racing I dont want to lose because of that weak link

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
08-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes a stock rebuild can be done many times for far less money. Idk about you but I HATE having to redo things. And with no lift, I hate taking my transmission out. Personally I think treated gears are just a way to get 1 or 2 more hard shifts out of the stock gears. I'll be uograding to either frana gears or ppg. Especially when racing I dont want to lose because of that weak link

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
Ya I completely understand and since I don't race as much as you do I think it will be worth a shot for the stock gears with treatment. But if you want something bullet proof you gotta pay to play.

SAX JONZ
08-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Add your time in to that equation, time car will be down. Is it still cheaper? It's a big chunk of change, but in long run? As far as getting gears treated?. Spaz said he had his stock gears treated, not much better.

Lilwhit14
08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Try Kmodperformance.com
Ppg is so expensive. Lol.

SAX JONZ
08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Cost for kmod?
If u bring me a good trans the gear set 1-4 ppg synchro set with diff and carbon synchros and install is 5399.00
-Marquis
-KMOD Performance

PetefromtheStreets
08-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Cost for kmod?
If u bring me a good trans the gear set 1-4 ppg synchro set with diff and carbon synchros and install is 5399.00
-Marquis
-KMOD Performance

Yup. That hurts. Lol

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
I must admit I felt my perineum tighten up and cringe for a brief second.

ksboi
08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
If you are going to get the stock gears treated go with shotpeening. I used to be a machinist before I joined the military. We used to shotpeen jet engine parts to car parts to help make the metal stronger.

PetefromtheStreets
08-20-2013, 04:59 PM
If you are going to get the stock gears treated go with shotpeening. I used to be a machinist before I joined the military. We used to shotpeen jet engine parts to car parts to help make the metal stronger.

If you properly cryotreat something it also will make them stronger but the slightest slip in cooling or warming times can null and void the effectiveness in the blink of an eye

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

bodyman
09-10-2013, 08:34 AM
2nd gear sets are still on national backorder, have been for 2 months. It has been causing issues with not being able to get these. I hope our order arrives soon

aLmk
09-10-2013, 09:32 AM
2nd gear sets are still on national backorder, have been for 2 months. It has been causing issues with not being able to get these. I hope our order arrives soon
Any news of a release date?

froggyfredd
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Wow those are still on national back order when I broke mine in April they were on back order too....ended up going with a used one which didnt last long

PetefromtheStreets
09-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Wow those are still on national back order when I broke mine in April they were on back order too....ended up going with a used one which didnt last long

Gotta get that PPG 1&2 gearset

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Si Speed 317
09-23-2013, 11:02 PM
News update: K-series 2nd gear sets are on a national backorder. Now you know.

aLmk
09-24-2013, 09:37 AM
News update: K-series 2nd gear sets are on a national backorder. Now you know.
This isn't news. Has been on international backorder since like April. Do you know if there is a release date? Did it actually change from international to just national backorder? If so, I suppose that is a good sign.

PetefromtheStreets
12-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Kmod performance has mainshafts for sale. Just an FYI for those who are in need.

Si Speed 317
12-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Dale from K20Tuned has 2nd gear sets on the way in from Honda Japan, according to a post I recently saw of his.

PetefromtheStreets
12-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Dale from K20Tuned has 2nd gear sets on the way in from Honda Japan, according to a post I recently saw of his.

Lucky for me I won't be having this issue anymore.... :shady:

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
Cage plus radio member #1

PetefromtheStreets
01-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Woot. What did I tell you!?!?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/20/raqagu3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/20/ajugeda6.jpg

PPG 1/2 dog engagement

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

PetefromtheStreets
01-23-2014, 02:50 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l2pkomuayjsvra/VID_20140122_225547.mkv

SAX JONZ
02-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Well, so far car has held up to all the abuse. I'm going to be on the lookout for another stock trans and see if mine breaks this summer. Hopefully I can save up for those gears, if my trans goes I'll put the spare in and try to order those gears. That's a lot of scratch but peace of mind is precious.
How much stronger would gears be when shotpeened?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Frostydc5
02-03-2014, 01:18 AM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l2pkomuayjsvra/VID_20140122_225547.mkv

dear lawd sweeeet baby jesus i think i just came. mmmm i hear some mid low 10s coming

Si Speed 317
02-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Well, so far car has held up to all the abuse. I'm going to be on the lookout for another stock trans and see if mine breaks this summer. Hopefully I can save up for those gears, if my trans goes I'll put the spare in and try to order those gears. That's a lot of scratch but peace of mind is precious.

Realistically, not much stronger. In the end, the real solution is bulletproofing the transmission. Granted you can go through OEM gears several times for the price of PPGs, PPGs get installed once. And if something happens, lifetime warranty.

Spaz
02-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I'm on my 5th 2nd gear and still thousands cheaper than PPG gears... just annoying

Si Speed 317
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm on my 5th 2nd gear and still thousands cheaper than PPG gears... just annoying

Time is money. ;)

PetefromtheStreets
02-03-2014, 04:06 PM

My advice... Get a spare trans as planned. Try and take it easy on the trans this year. Slower shifts, easier clutch engagement, ect. That's just doing yourself a favor.
And last but not least.... Save up for the gears.

dear lawd sweeeet baby jesus i think i just came. mmmm i hear some mid low 10s coming

If I run mid 10's I'll shit a brick! My goal is anywhere in the 10's. Even a 10.999999999999. LOL

Realistically, not much stronger. In the end, the real solution is bulletproofing the transmission. Granted you can go through OEM gears several times for the price of PPGs, PPGs get installed once. And if something happens, lifetime warranty.

BOOM!

very annoying. Lol

Time is money. ;)

TRUUUUUU

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Frostydc5
02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Time is money. ;)
100% cant get that back, money comes and goes, if i break my gears once im not putting stock shit back in, especially not 5 times. But then again the car is actually gona be used for what it was built, not sit at a show all year.

My advice... Get a spare trans as planned. Try and take it easy on the trans this year. Slower shifts, easier clutch engagement, ect. That's just doing yourself a favor.
And last but not least.... Save up for the gears.

If I run mid 10's I'll shit a brick! My goal is anywhere in the 10's. Even a 10.999999999999. LOL

BOOM!

very annoying. Lol

TRUUUUUU

s4 IG-petefromthestreets
Mid 10s damn it keep your goals high!!! or at least shoot for 10.99 LOL

PetefromtheStreets
02-03-2014, 04:37 PM
100% cant get that back, money comes and goes, if i break my gears once im not putting stock shit back in, especially not 5 times. But then again the car is actually gona be used for what it was built, not sit at a show all year.

Mid 10s damn it keep your goals high!!! or at least shoot for 10.99 LOL

That's my problem. I race it and it breaks Lol. Ahhhhhhhhh. The struggle is real!

I'd kill for a 10.5 or lower!

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Frostydc5
02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
That's my problem. I gave it and it breaks Lol. Ahhhhhhhhh. The struggle is real!

I'd kill for a 10.5 or lower!

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Well no breaking this year hopefully for the both of us lol

PetefromtheStreets
02-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Well no breaking this year hopefully for the both of us lol

Good luck my good sir! Can't wait to race tho! I'm fiending.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Frostydc5
02-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Good luck my good sir! Can't wait to race tho! I'm fiending.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

You and I both man

Si Speed 317
02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Id like to get to the track once. The difficult part is i have so many things this year in terms of work, life, and school that I don't even know how it's gonna pan out yet. :shrug:

Frostydc5
02-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Id like to get to the track once. The difficult part is i have so many things this year in terms of work, life, and school that I don't even know how it's gonna pan out yet. :shrug:

same here man, i got 16 credits this semester and i work full time shit is kicking my ass but ill manage somehow

bodyman
02-05-2014, 12:33 AM
K20 6spd 2nd gear sets are now back in stock guys!
23432-PNS-315
http://www.afhparts.com/oem-part/oem-honda/gear-set-second/23432pns315?search_str=23432-pns315
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1017465_248095635352069_54545732_n.jpg

SAX JONZ
02-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Well, shall see how things go. I feel a new job on the horizon, if not this summer then as soon as I go back to work I will be ordering a set.

Spaz
02-05-2014, 01:30 PM
gotta love those 2nd gears lol

PetefromtheStreets
02-06-2014, 06:40 PM
gotta love those 2nd gears lol

They are like women. Can't race with em. Can't live without em.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
02-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Now, I just had a thought. Once you eliminate second gear breaking what breaks after that?

PetefromtheStreets
02-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Now, I just had a thought. Once you eliminate second gear breaking what breaks after that?

3rd. LOL or the final drive. But honestly who would have thought my differential would break before my second gear. Lol

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
02-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Well...at least I have a good one in. My third has been acting up. It's a mad dash to pay off my bills so that I can get those gears.

PetefromtheStreets
02-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Well...at least I have a good one in. My third has been acting up. It's a mad dash to pay off my bills so that I can get those gears.

Definitely man.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
02-07-2014, 09:12 AM
4th seems to break a lot too :(

Si Speed 317
02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
4th is actually the thinnest gear in our trannies, IIRC.

PetefromtheStreets
02-07-2014, 06:38 PM
4th seems to break a lot too :(

For you turbo guys. I hope it doesn't happen to me :pray:

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
02-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Hmm I was messing with my trans all day today and didn't think to compare the thickness of the gears to each other, but none stuck out to be thicker/thinner than any others :shrug: I think 4th tends to break a lot for turbo guys because that's when we run the most boost which means the most torque and we generally actually have traction.

Si Speed 317
02-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Hmm I was messing with my trans all day today and didn't think to compare the thickness of the gears to each other, but none stuck out to be thicker/thinner than any others :shrug: I think 4th tends to break a lot for turbo guys because that's when we run the most boost which means the most torque and we generally actually have traction.

Yea that's definitely a part of it. I remember back in the day, Ainokea Si posted a pic of his tranny when open but together, and you could see the difference. Wasn't substantial, but noticeable.

vdubkilla
02-08-2014, 03:05 PM
I've lost one 4 th gear so far and have been running stock ep3 transmissions with a quaife .I think they last longer in a lighter chassis like an eg

PetefromtheStreets
02-08-2014, 03:06 PM
I've lost one 4 th gear so far and have been running stock ep3 transmissions with a quaife .I think they last longer in a lighter chassis like an eg

Good point about the weight of the car.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
02-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Just another reason not to date fat chicks. :confused::D

PetefromtheStreets
02-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Just another reason not to date fat chicks. :confused::D

Lmao

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

SAX JONZ
02-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Giggity.

PetefromtheStreets
02-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Giggity.

Autox?

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

aLmk
02-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Yea that's definitely a part of it. I remember back in the day, Ainokea Si posted a pic of his tranny when open but together, and you could see the difference. Wasn't substantial, but noticeable.
Ok, I have a spare set of gears on my bench downstairs when I get around to it I'll measure them with my micrometer and see what the differences are and post it up.

BoostedK20
02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Ok, I have a spare set of gears on my bench downstairs when I get around to it I'll measure them with my micrometer and see what the differences are and post it up.

That would be great!!