PDA

View Full Version : new k20 here

93si
11-22-2012, 07:49 PM
well i figured i would join here in hopes that i only will have to build my car once. ill try and get some pics tommorow.

its a 1993 si, i just picked up a 05 k20z1 (i believe). i am currently in search of a 5 speed. i ordered my mounts yesterday so as soon as they get here ill get rolling on that.

the general idea is rods, pistons.... port the head possibly do head internals or i might hold off not sure yet. sidewinder twinscroll manifold and either a hx40 or hx52. injectors(size tbd) and run e85 and see what she makes and have a decently fun street/track car. but this could all change this is just what i have in my head ill be scanning honda tech and here for more solid info on what i need to do to acheive my goals...and basically my goal is somwhere around the breaking point of stock sleeves

93si
11-22-2012, 08:02 PM
sorry if this is kind of scatter brained ill clean it up tomorrow. just wanted to join up before i forgot to and tried to post and wasnt able to. ill hop back on tomorrow and clena it up but thats the general plan.

PetefromtheStreets
11-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Welcome man. :boostedk20: :turbohug:

I'd say you should have a hp goal in mind before buying the turbo and injectors. But running e85 you'll need a daily large "cc".

Being your going to be running a piston/rod motor I'd at least do head components also.

93si
11-22-2012, 08:40 PM
well from what i have been told. mind you i havent really looked into the motor to much. the head flows pretty good and the stock head internals are pretty solid to 8200-ish rpm. i am not trying to spin it to the moon...yet. if i had to put a number out there i would say 600+ and everything after that is icing on the cake.

its gonna be a weekend driver/track toy so injector size and fuel consumption are far from a concern. i have already figured just buying 2150's or that range. but i wanna look into the abilitys of kpro or aem for the setup. i know with aem it should be fairly streetable with those size injectors.. i am just not sure about kpro with such big injectors.

PetefromtheStreets
11-22-2012, 08:49 PM
Because its being street driven and will have to pass emissions I'd stick to kpro. But being your almost historic aem would be awesome. Aem will be sure to get you the hp your looking for. And 2150cc injectors are a monster. That should be easily sufficient to supply 600whp. Especially on e85. I would try and keep the sleeves as thick as possibly so I wouldn't go more then .5mm overbore just due to the amount of boost you'll be seeing. (20+ range)

Sounds like a promising build for sure. Keep us updated and add some pics.

93si
11-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Well are emissions are a catalytic converter and a roller test so I will be working around that. So I will be leaning towards aem.

I am gonna have my block checked out next week there is a few gouges deeper than I thought so I might have to bore it more than previously expected.

I have been reading build threads for the last hour and have already gotten a lot of info.

One question.I still haven't found really is stock rod strength. Just curious
I have already planned.to buy both rods and pistons...I have just seen a few 500 plus HP unaltered k20.

93si
11-22-2012, 10:08 PM
One other question I really can't seem to find a difinitive awnser here...maybe ill try k20a.org...
coming from a heavy 4g63 area of Ohio....

How come no one uses a k24 block with a k20 crank? that was the first idea I really wanted to do...a long rod 2.12 I believe it would be with the right rod length

PetefromtheStreets
11-22-2012, 10:53 PM
One other question I really can't seem to find a difinitive awnser here...maybe ill try k20a.org...
coming from a heavy 4g63 area of Ohio....

How come no one uses a k24 block with a k20 crank? that was the first idea I really wanted to do...a long rod 2.12 I believe it would be with the right rod length

I have heard of some using a f20 crank but never a k20 crank. I can't give a definite answer but may I ask why would you want to do a long rod motor? I've heard of the 4g63 guys doing it for some time.

93si
11-22-2012, 11:58 PM
lower rod ratio..less stress on the internals for longevity. also be safer to rev it out a bit more. i am not trying to build an all out drag motor. but if i can spend a bit more now to improve the longevity of the bottom end id rather do it and have it last a few years.

....i cannot lie i know there will be a few times when i actually wanna see what i have built can do and ill need the rpms to show its full potential... but for the typical weekend my idea above will stand lol

PetefromtheStreets
11-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Hmm. Seems legit. But I know of several cars running 580+whp on stock rod length and used for exactly what your looking to do. Matter of fact a user on here "vdubkilla" made 580ish on an all stock bottom end. K20z1. And drove it like it was stolen.

But a modified oil pump like ERL or KMOD may be a nice piece to add if your looking for 9000+rpm. As would a nice set of valve springs.

93si
11-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Hmm. Seems legit. But I know of several cars running 580+whp on stock rod length and used for exactly what your looking to do. Matter of fact a user on here "vdubkilla" made 580ish on an all stock bottom end. K20z1. And drove it like it was stolen.

But a modified oil pump like ERL or KMOD may be a nice piece to add if your looking for 9000+rpm. As would a nice set of valve springs.

Awesome just what I wanted to hear. I will probably leave that for the next bottom end and I wont even that high unless the math works out ill need it.

I decided to do head internals. Along with the bottom end rods And pistons. I was just tossing the idea around if it could be done easily like a 4g I would do.it withough question.

PetefromtheStreets
11-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Awesome just what I wanted to hear. I will probably leave that for the next bottom end and I wont even that high unless the math works out ill need it.

I decided to do head internals. Along with the bottom end rods And pistons. I was just tossing the idea around if it could be done easily like a 4g I would do.it withough question.

Great man. Glad you've joined and Put out the word of our forum if you will. We always need more members. :thumb:

vdubkilla
11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the site and yes he is right I ran the hell out of that stock z1 on 26.6 lbs 585 hp / 414 trq and hit boost cut at 30+lbs on more than one occasion .I only put a few thousand miles on it .It still ran perfect the whole time til I pulled it apart to have it sleeved and build the motor. I don't think I'd run that much boost on a car that was a dd .I'd stick with 18-22 lbs personally ah hell no I wouldn't ....:rotfl:.....

93si
11-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the site and yes he is right I ran the hell out of that stock z1 on 26.6 lbs 585 hp / 414 trq and hit boost cut at 30+lbs on more than one occasion .I only put a few thousand miles on it .It still ran perfect the whole time til I pulled it apart to have it sleeved and build the motor. I don't think I'd run that much boost on a car that was a dd .I'd stick with 18-22 lbs personally ah hell no I wouldn't ....:rotfl:.....

LOL that's awesome....

What trans did you use? That's my big worry

93si
11-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Great man. Glad you've joined and Put out the word of our forum if you will. We always need more members. :thumb:

I def will I have a friend who just picked up a k20 and also wants to swap it into his ef.... so I am sure he will join up soon

ksboi
11-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Welcome Welcome!!! Let me know what you need I am here to help. I drive a boost sedan. As for rods/pistons there are so many combos you can go for. I got eagle rods which are good for 800hp iirc and wiseco piston compression ratio of 10.8:1. As for injectors you can run 1000 or 1300cc on e85 and you will be fine. Let me know if you need anything PM or email me. My prices do not change but if you become a sponsor you get a little better deal.

vdubkilla
11-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I ran a stock ep3 with a Quaife diff the eg hatch is a light chassis compared to many and although I did run the hell out of it every time I drove it. I did NOT do dumb shit on the street like burn outs .I only did that at the track while on slicks launching it at 6500 rpms in third gear .The ep3 trans held very well to the abuse even though I had shifter issues with an aftermarket shifter. Then issues with a improperly assembled twin disc due to not knowing any better at the time .I will be running a stock trans again this season til it goes then I'll put the one back in that I tore up last year as I am going to be repairing it also for a spare .I always keep a spare trans and hell I can get them for a good price its gonna take a long time to equal the cost of a built trans .

93si
11-23-2012, 10:37 PM
wow. thats bad ass. i really only plan on getting on it a few times under 40-60 mph range.... i am glad to see that the ep3 trans is alot stronger than i have bene told.

i plan on getting a set of slicks and giving it the beating at the track but mild street fun. just gotta keep it some what sane. i plan on hititng a few shows about an hour away.

but the hatch is already gutted... hoping to get some decent speed out of her.

93si
11-23-2012, 10:38 PM
now to to hunt down a 5 speed and a lsd

PetefromtheStreets
11-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Mfactory LSDs are nice pieces that I've seen. I'll say now DO NOT get an OBX LSD. My driver side axle won't lock into the diff. So around corners it will slide out slightly. Emailed them and obviously no response. Just felt like cussing them out to make myself feel a little better.

93si
11-24-2012, 01:22 AM
I was just gonna go with a factory for now....and if it proves worth it buy a quaiffe... I am trying to do it as much of a "budget" as possible so if I decide to idk one day throw a full interior back in it an go NA... or who knows what I'm not in the hole that much.... than again I used the excuse that the rods and pistons have 30k on them to get new ones so we will see how long my budget idea lasts lol

PetefromtheStreets
11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Lmao. LSD is your friend. No lie. I couldn't imagine my car without it. It may not help with traction but at least it helps you pull straight vs trq steer.

Spaz
11-24-2012, 10:13 PM
LSD is one of my top 3 mods ever!

93si
11-25-2012, 01:18 AM
hopefully a factory lsd will hold up for a while lol.

sorry i havent posted pics. its pretty bare at the moment i am currently spending all my time fixing the floors i jsut finished the last i ahve to do with the 1/4's. hopefully in about a week or so ill be able toahve the body back togther and primered and have the cage installed... and have the motor mounted and ill pop pictures up then.

93si
11-25-2012, 02:13 AM
on a side note... i drove my friends type s today with bolt ons and a tune.. and raced him in my 07 si(100% bone stock)..... i totally want a 02 type s with uber high mileage or a blown motor on the cheap and do a light na build just to ahve a nice summer driver..and make my 07 a straight up bitch daily... because that rsx was quick and fun...and smoked my si lol

Spaz
11-25-2012, 02:43 AM
I hate the dbw of the si

sent via spazatalk

93si
11-25-2012, 02:58 AM
lol yeaaaa its quite interesting.... i can take off the exact same way 20 times....10 of those times i look like ive never driven stick before.

Spaz
11-25-2012, 03:29 AM
I work on an 8th Gen for a customer and seriously I can't slam through gears for shit in it

sent via spazatalk

Si Speed 317
11-26-2012, 12:36 AM
All 06+ Si's absolutely NEED an EM1 CMC upgrade with stainless lines, a counter-sunk and counter-weighted knob (moddiction for cheap, or TWM for cream-of-the-crop), and I also suggest shifter bushings. Will shift like BUTTER. And FlashPro kills any rev hang, granted it's tuned correctly. Welcome to :boostedk20:

93si
11-26-2012, 12:45 PM
lol i hate the way the car drives... but awesome gas mileage and dead reliable. i cant hate anything but some monsterous rev hang... and having moments where it just sucks driving per feel.

Si Speed 317
11-26-2012, 01:20 PM
lol i hate the way the car drives... but awesome gas mileage and dead reliable. i cant hate anything but some monsterous rev hang... and having moments where it just sucks driving per feel.

Lucky for u, thats a very easy fix. :thumb:

93si
11-26-2012, 06:37 PM
well lucky for me you see to be in then "know" care to elaborate a little more and possibly the cost of said fix...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEE!!!!

(this is probibly something i should have already known existed.. but like i have said we live in a 4g63 dominated area.. and i really have 0 honda friends...i am in completly unknown territory.... minus boosting a d series.. that was my first fun and fail toy lol)

aLmk
11-26-2012, 07:24 PM

well lucky for me you see to be in then "know" care to elaborate a little more and possibly the cost of said fix...

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEE!!!!

(this is probibly something i should have already known existed.. but like i have said we live in a 4g63 dominated area.. and i really have 0 honda friends...i am in completly unknown territory.... minus boosting a d series.. that was my first fun and fail toy lol)
Sorry but are you referring to your 93 or to your 07 when you say it has awful rev hang? If its the 07 then flashpro will fix your problems. I get a little rev hang now with 1000cc injectors and a turbo, but with just bolt ons flashpro took it completely away.

93si
11-27-2012, 01:07 AM
LOL the 93 is getting assembled now I just dropped off my head to get ported today

The 07 is the culprit it literally will hang out at a rpm for a hotsecond :( its not a big deal just annoying I literally haven't changed anything on this car...its my first car I've ever bought brand new ...152k and not one problem knock on wood besides normal maintanece

PetefromtheStreets
11-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Damn you've got some miles on that thing. Lol

aLmk
11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Well flashpro will fix your rev hang issue.

93si
11-27-2012, 11:49 AM
thanks ill look into flashpro this week,

and hell yea its a civic.. of course shes gonna get driven... just came back from tenneesse ran like a champ,,,,,,,,and shes going to houston in march!!! lol

Spoolin_VTEC
12-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Sounds like now you're on the right track. Glad to see a new face! :welcome: