PDA

View Full Version : engine stall after catch can install

boostd05es2
09-20-2012, 09:59 PM
sup dudes, got a kswaped 7thgen with greddy turbo just installed.
turbo was recently rebuilt an im using the stock oil feed line and banjo return

everything looked good but it would smoke if it idled for a few min

didnt think its the turbo or the return line so i put in a catch can thinking it was a venting issue

i removed insides of the pcv valve an routed the catch can lines to the pcv valve spot and also to the one on the valve cover and pluged the intake manifold bung.

still smokes an now stalls when im coming to a stop
i have no idea what i did wrong or what the problem could be

thx for any input

Si Speed 317
09-23-2012, 01:42 PM
First things first, ditch that oil return. It will be a constant issue if it isn't already. Get it tapped/welded into the oil pan, or get the TSI oil return kit (if you can find one) since you have a top-mount turbo setup. The TSI return just replaces your timing chain cover with a bung on it. Nifty little thing.

Next, the smoking could possibly be your turbo, seals might be gone. Was it a used kit? Also, how was the catch can mounted? Please post pics of whatever you can so we can help you.

Oh, and :welcome: to :boostedk20:

Spaz
09-24-2012, 09:31 PM
definitely in for photos....

boostd05es2
09-25-2012, 01:33 PM
thx :thumb:

catch can mounted behind passenger fog light,

yea deff need to get rid if the banjo return think that is the problem
with it burning oil
cant find anybody selling that timing cover return plate tho

im running 0w30 mobil 1 oil dunno if its too light or wat
mayb its a combination of both

also low revs it shuts off, got no idea about that havent gotten it tuned
yet jus using the tune for the 440 injectors with greddy turbo on the kpro

havent had any problems with this car before i installed the turbo

thx again

boostd05es2
09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
o and yea its a used turbo , it had shaft play so i bought the rebuild kit
off ebay for $50 rebuilt it myself im sure i did it correctly sum guy on
youtube made a video

Si Speed 317
09-27-2012, 10:14 AM
thx :thumb:

catch can mounted behind passenger fog light,

yea deff need to get rid if the banjo return think that is the problem
with it burning oil
cant find anybody selling that timing cover return plate tho

im running 0w30 mobil 1 oil dunno if its too light or wat
mayb its a combination of both

also low revs it shuts off, got no idea about that havent gotten it tuned
yet jus using the tune for the 440 injectors with greddy turbo on the kpro

havent had any problems with this car before i installed the turbo

thx again
Catch can is routed wrong. The IM (intake manifold) needs to be plugged. Go to Autozone, buy the rubber cap kit ($4.99) and a small hose clamp to fit around it. Cap the intake manifold off and secure it with the hose clamp. Don't make it tight enough to eat through the rubber, but snug enough so that it won't fall off. Next, run a line from the VC (valve cover) to the catch can as well. Make sure the catch can is vented. You should be all good. You're experiencing a vaccuum/pressure loss, because if that catch can isn't vented, you're pulling blow-by from your PCV line into your catch can and right into your IM. No bueno my friend.

As for your tune, get it tuned ASAP! A tune will make or break your car. If you need a good tuner, E-Tunez is a sponsor on the forum. For a complete E-Tune, it's $199. And they're amazing. Get back to us when all is done, please include more pictures.

o and yea its a used turbo , it had shaft play so i bought the rebuild kit
off ebay for $50 rebuilt it myself im sure i did it correctly sum guy on
youtube made a video
Hopefully this issue will be fixed after you fix your catch can issue. If not, we'll take the next steps needed. Start with your catch can, fix it ASAP don't drive the car until it's fixed.

Edit: Also, plug the port on your intake that the VC is currently going to (plug it the same way you'll plug the IM). Run a new line from the VC to the catch can.

boostd05es2
09-27-2012, 03:55 PM
ok yea i will reroute the catch can thx!! as far as vented, its the weapon r
http://www.kseriesparts.com/graphics/00000001/826-113-101_500x333.jpg

dunno if this one is vented?

deff gonna need a tune. where is E-tunez located, i was gonna take it to
NoLimit in medford,NY but they want $500 but there 10min away lol

i been workin on the oil return line. i emailed tsi and they are on back order
for the return chain tension plate.
i searched all over and found nothing, and removing the oil pan was not gonna happen.

so i fabricated something.....

ill see how this works lol

Spaz
09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
That's great man!! Never thought of that

sent via spazatalk

Si Speed 317
09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
ok yea i will reroute the catch can thx!! as far as vented, its the weapon r
http://www.kseriesparts.com/graphics/00000001/826-113-101_500x333.jpg

dunno if this one is vented?

deff gonna need a tune. where is E-tunez located, i was gonna take it to
NoLimit in medford,NY but they want $500 but there 10min away lol

i been workin on the oil return line. i emailed tsi and they are on back order
for the return chain tension plate.
i searched all over and found nothing, and removing the oil pan was not gonna happen.

so i fabricated something.....

ill see how this works lol
To be safe, replace that hose with black fuel-safe hose in the same diameter from your local auto store (AutoZone). The hose that comes with will most likely melt once it touches something hot. It'll run you ~$3 a foot. Well worth the investment.
As for your cc, it's not vented, I suggest drilling and tapping a hole in the top or side of the cc and putting in a brass barb fitting (with teflon tape) and get one of those mini air filters and attach it on the barb fitting. That will do the trick.
Next, that is an awesome fabrication. Hopefully, its angled slightly upwards once installed to help oil drain into it, or at least parallel to the ground. If that works, you could probably sell them, lol.

Lastly, do not go to NLM for anything. The work they did on my first turbo kit was HORRIBLE. They never tightened my manifold bolts (4 our of 5 were loose, as in falling off loose), they never gapped my spark plugs, pocketed my banjo bolts for the coolant lines to my GT2871R and never told me they didn't install them (I found out when I had to gap my plugs myself and saw fittings missing), had them custom make a test pipe to connect my downpipe to my catback and, due to their shitty job, it was hitting my Megan H-brace, so he spaced the H-brace down with a nut rather than cut and reweld it, they didn't put the lid on my fuel tank (under rear seat) correctly so gas POURED out of the bottom of my car when I filled it up, I won't even go on. Do your self a solid, never go there. Ever. I knew how to install my entire kit, I just didn't have the time as I was a full-time student and worked full-time. $1,500 later, I had to take time off of work to redo everything myself, which cost me more since time is money and I had to rent a lift. E-Tunez it is. Hit up VitViper, tell him I sent you. He'll hook you up.

PetefromtheStreets
09-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I can say your timing chain will Be well lubricated. Lol. And I'm sure that will work but at what pressure does the returning oil come out at and at what temperatures? Not sure how this would effect the tensioner and guides. Just curious.

Very nice idea I might add. It's simple and effective.

boostd05es2
09-28-2012, 08:43 PM
THX!! that oil return plate was a one time thing hahaha

i ran the car for about 15mins at idle... no smoke no leaks but gotta drive it around to be sure. deff wanna drive this thing again hopefully it doesnt make any problems for the tensioner down the road

ill drill the cc an put a fitting with a filter an run new lines, also did u drill/punch out the pcv valve?

and damn that sux they messed up ur turbo, they tuned my bro superchaged rsx, so i figured id go there, but they giving me the runaround. went there last sat and the tuner dude wasnt there so i left them my name an number for them to call me back but they havent yet. ill deff hit up VitViper

yea i like doing all the work myself, but i find that i dont have the time anymore lol. try to work on it on my days off an use my parents element (K24 baby:thumb:) for work.

ill post more pics soon

thx for all ur help!!

boostd05es2
10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
so far the oil return plate is holding up no leaks and no more smoke.

also setup the oil catch can correctly, i hit up VitViper to setup my tune, and working on that now.

kept stalling everytime i came to a stop.... researched and found that i have to
lower the duty cycle in the Kpro. so its drivable until i get the tune done.

thx for all ur guys help!

Si Speed 317
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
so far the oil return plate is holding up no leaks and no more smoke.

also setup the oil catch can correctly, i hit up VitViper to setup my tune, and working on that now.

kept stalling everytime i came to a stop.... researched and found that i have to
lower the duty cycle in the Kpro. so its drivable until i get the tune done.

thx for all ur guys help!

That's awesome, glad we were able to help you solve your issues! Everything looks good from a far, I suggest throwing a different filter on there ASAP, as those foam filters have been known to not only be bad at filtering, but have broken down and been sucked into the turbo/motor.