PDA

View Full Version : New to k20's, looking to Turbo

cjtech1
09-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject, Ive heard a lot of different things about the k20 and what else is needed with the turbo set-up. I am a mechanic so i understand the setup and whatnot but im not entirely sure if any internals would need to be done to be able to withstand the turbo. I was told that the k20 can withstand up to 8psi of booost with the stock internals. I know ill need to upgrade my fuel system on top of what I already have done to the car and I know ill need hondata and a tune. Its a 2010 4 door SI so any help with letting me know of any internal changes I would need to make the the engine would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2006ninjasi
09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I have a 06 fg2 on a pte6262. It was tuned on 12.6 psi and made 440 hp. The stock
Internals are good to go up to 500ish

cjtech1
09-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok, Any recommendations as to a turbo manifold? Im coming up with all different responses some saying stay away from cast iron and some saying stick to cast iron. Hard to get a straight answer on all of this lol

VTECFRED
09-20-2012, 03:37 PM
If you want to make over 350HP you will need to get away from the cast iron log style manifolds. Look for tubular manifolds like the ones offered by full race or AJP or SRT.

You will spend more up front if you just buy a kit from one of them but it will all fit no questions asked.

If you go the custom route like I did you will still spend over $5000 to get over 350HP.

What are your power goals?

Sent using my Galaxy S3

cjtech1
09-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm looking to get somewhere around 400 whp. Basically I would like to get as much as I can still keeping the stock internals. I eventually plan to build a motor block up but that is a project for a later date lol

ksboi
09-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Who ever told you 8psi is a lie. There are 600hp stock blocks and people beat on them but that goes down to tune! Which K20 do you have? z3,a2,a3?? I went with a BoostJunkyz turbo kit check them out at www.boostjunkyz.com also mywhitesi or whatever his username on here are running this kit! I build a block I build that should hold up find to 600+ easily but the K series transmission will start to fail at 400tq.

Si Speed 317
09-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Who ever told you 8psi is a lie. There are 600hp stock blocks and people beat on them but that goes down to tune! Which K20 do you have? z3,a2,a3?? I went with a BoostJunkyz turbo kit check them out at www.boostjunkyz.com also mywhitesi or whatever his username on here are running this kit! I build a block I build that should hold up find to 600+ easily but the K series transmission will start to fail at 400tq.
ksboi, he has a K20Z3. It's a 2010 Si.

But :yeahthat: We'd love to help you out man, you're at the right place. This is where the myths end and the truth comes out. To answer your OP, you won't need to change any internals to get to 400whp (as opposed to 400hp at the crank, we don't measure crank hp here :thumb:) Post up your budget, what you use the car for, etc etc. We'll set you straight!

aLmk
09-25-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm running 15-16psi on stock internals. You will be perfectly fine. I've even gone to 20 on race gas, and I have a crappy log (cast iron) manifold.

2006ninjasi
09-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Ya get a good tune and you will be good. Hit up etunez. I have the srt v2. Quality is top notch. Slight boost creep issues above 8k even tho I am only at 9 psi

vdubkilla
09-28-2012, 08:20 AM
:rotfl::rotfl: @ 8psi as I ran 26.6 psi last season all year made 585 / 414 and had a tuner that struggled with getting rid of my boost cut issues. I hit boost cut many , many times at 30+ psi .That engine held up very well and was in decent condition when pulled apart with the exception of the valve guides were worn .I don't think I would run 26 psi on a dd but wouldn't hesitate to run 20 psi all day long these things will take a serious beating and 20 psi will make really good streetable power imho however I would recommend putting springs, retainers , and head studs in it .

ksboi
09-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Get a turbo kit. But do RESEARCH!! I spend my whole year in Iraq looking at turbo parts and I went with BoostJunkyz turbo kit for the quality and price. I almost went full race but that high in my opinion but here is a list to start looking at.
Turbo Kit with a PTE6262 or GT30r
Fuel pump
Injections ID1000s or FIC1000
Exhaust 3"
Clutch
Motor Mounts
Gauges Pod
Gauges AFR Boost at minimum
Flashpro!!!!

aLmk
09-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Don't forget a fuel pump. And depending on what kit you go with, quality oil feed/return and quality water hoses for the turbo.

ksboi
09-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes do not skimp on those lines! My return line gas that crappy gasket I need to replace and rtv the bolts on flange.

aLmk
09-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah I recommend fast-turbo for your oil lines.

Lilwhit14
03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
I have an 8th gen fa5. Custom turbo kit on 7.5 psi. Had an srt4 guy tune me (first mistake) and only made 210 whp due to boost falling off at top end by half. Fixing some stuff this weekend and getting retuned next week by DK Goodrich. I was also unsure of internals because I had heard our internals are only good for 310whp but DK assured me they are good for much more. Said he has tuned plenty of k20s making 400-500whp on stock internals pushing 12-15 psi. I'm pumped to see the outcome of this retune.

VTECFRED
03-01-2013, 06:30 PM
I have an 8th gen fa5. Custom turbo kit on 7.5 psi. Had an srt4 guy tune me (first mistake) and only made 210 whp

He must have done that on purpose so you couldn't beat him lol

Sent using my Galaxy S3

Lilwhit14
03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
What power are you making?

Lilwhit14
03-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Yea kinda what I'm starting to think. So I'm going to the Honda king around my parts. Lol. Excited to see what my baby can really do. I'm scared though bc my clutch is only rated to 257ft/lbs torque

Lilwhit14
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
My entire block is stock. I'm more afraid of throwing a rod or lifting the head

Si Speed 317
03-01-2013, 08:42 PM
My entire block is stock. I'm more afraid of throwing a rod or lifting the head

You won't if you're tuned properly and treat the car right

chrisfjr83
09-05-2013, 06:22 AM
I have an 8th gen fa5. Custom turbo kit on 7.5 psi. Had an srt4 guy tune me (first mistake) and only made 210 whp due to boost falling off at top end by half. Fixing some stuff this weekend and getting retuned next week by DK Goodrich. I was also unsure of internals because I had heard our internals are only good for 310whp but DK assured me they are good for much more. Said he has tuned plenty of k20s making 400-500whp on stock internals pushing 12-15 psi. I'm pumped to see the outcome of this retune.

Plan on getting tuned again if you are going to use DK to tune your car. Good guy but you could get so much more if you used someone else. He is a great guy though.

Frostydc5
09-05-2013, 08:54 AM
:rotfl::rotfl: @ 8psi as I ran 26.6 psi last season all year made 585 / 414 and had a tuner that struggled with getting rid of my boost cut issues. I hit boost cut many , many times at 30+ psi .That engine held up very well and was in decent condition when pulled apart with the exception of the valve guides were worn .I don't think I would run 26 psi on a dd but wouldn't hesitate to run 20 psi all day long these things will take a serious beating and 20 psi will make really good streetable power imho however I would recommend putting springs, retainers , and head studs in it .

completely agree leave the internals stock no issues but if you can i would deff, like stated above, do valve train and head studs and if you can rod bolts as well and your safe. 8 psi is complete bull shit so dont let that even dwell in your brain.

PetefromtheStreets
09-05-2013, 08:58 AM
@8psi youll crack maybe 350whp. And depending on the size turbo you use it won't even begine to shine until boost beyond 10-12psi. K series are straight up beasts. :thumb:

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Lilwhit14
09-05-2013, 09:19 AM
@8psi youll crack maybe 350whp. And depending on the size turbo you use it won't even begine to shine until boost beyond 10-12psi. K series are straight up beasts. :thumb:

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

I'm on 13psi now making 375. Turbo just can't make the numbers it should. About to get meth injection and leave it at 13 psi. Should put me at 400whp+.

PetefromtheStreets
09-05-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm on 13psi now making 375. Turbo just can't make the numbers it should. About to get meth injection and leave it at 13 psi. Should put me at 400whp+.

What turbo are you using? Sorry if its been said in earlier posts.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Lilwhit14
09-05-2013, 09:55 AM
What turbo are you using? Sorry if its been said in earlier posts.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

Company called DNA motor sports. It's an eBay brand turbo. Given me no problems just can't handle the flow my motor puts out bc it's a .63 a/r housing. Spools quick but can't give me the big numbers I should be getting on 13psi. I'm really only getting meth to prevent knock. Been getting some lately. That should put me over 400 and keep my motor safe from preventing knocking

PetefromtheStreets
09-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Yea not to be a name brand freak or shit on ebay parts because I personally like some ebay stuff but its no wonder your not making 400 on 13 lbs with that turbo. Perhaps just the bigger a/r woukd help but for a Daily driver id slap a percision or Garrett 30r on it. Good boost, good power and good reliability.

s4 IG-petefromthestreets

ksboi
09-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm on xx psi and its eye opening.

Si Speed 317
09-06-2013, 01:40 AM

Take this as straight advice and please don't take it as negativity: That's the completely wrong thing to do. You're running 13psi and not hitting 400whp, ok neither does the small 16g GReddy turbo. But to get to 400whp you're willing to add more complications and unnecessary modifications to your car (not to mention something that can run out without you knowing, force you to run lean and kaboom, bye bye motor) rather than simply swap out to a larger hot side and be done with it? [Which is something you know you need to do already.] Run a .82AR hot side, you'll be a happy camper. That's definitely what's limiting you. Easy swap, great results that are much safer and RELIABLE!

Also, please don't take it as my condoning your use of an eBay turbo. Good or not, it's not a Garrett, Precision, BorgWarner, Comp, or anything on that level - and that's a big thing. God forbid something goes wrong and pieces of your turbo chip off into your motor. Let me paint a picture: 8,500rpm and 13psi, making xxxwhp. Think of the amount that turbo is spinning, how hot it's getting, and the overall stress. Think of the life of the turbo, the heat cycles (heating up and cooling down, typically extreme opposites) and the like. Now, think of Precision, BW, Garrett, Comp. All amazing companies that have gone through very, very extensive R&D and have products with proven results; companies that have grown their reputations based on their products. Now think of an eBay company. See my point? You may be lucky with this turbo, it happens sometimes. But understand where I, and we all, come from when I say get a name brand.

Keep us updated Pat!

Lilwhit14
09-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Take this as straight advice and please don't take it as negativity: That's the completely wrong thing to do. You're running 13psi and not hitting 400whp, ok neither does the small 16g GReddy turbo. But to get to 400whp you're willing to add more complications and unnecessary modifications to your car (not to mention something that can run out without you knowing, force you to run lean and kaboom, bye bye motor) rather than simply swap out to a larger hot side and be done with it? [Which is something you know you need to do already.] Run a .82AR hot side, you'll be a happy camper. That's definitely what's limiting you. Easy swap, great results that are much safer and RELIABLE!

Also, please don't take it as my condoning your use of an eBay turbo. Good or not, it's not a Garrett, Precision, BorgWarner, Comp, or anything on that level - and that's a big thing. God forbid something goes wrong and pieces of your turbo chip off into your motor. Let me paint a picture: 8,500rpm and 13psi, making xxxwhp. Think of the amount that turbo is spinning, how hot it's getting, and the overall stress. Think of the life of the turbo, the heat cycles (heating up and cooling down, typically extreme opposites) and the like. Now, think of Precision, BW, Garrett, Comp. All amazing companies that have gone through very, very extensive R&D and have products with proven results; companies that have grown their reputations based on their products. Now think of an eBay company. See my point? You may be lucky with this turbo, it happens sometimes. But understand where I, and we all, come from when I say get a name brand.

Keep us updated Pat!

Yea ik. This was meant to be a starter kit at 300hp. I wanted more. I plan on going with a comp turbo eventually and would probably be smarter than just adding a meth kit to this one but I haven't had one problem from this turbo. And even the name brands have known to shit out quickly. When a turbo goes it goes regardless of it being eBay or big name. But I also believe meth is smart bc it's proven to make more power and keeps things safer when running pump gas. I take no offense to your comments and advice. What you have said is true but I'm a believer in, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" just so many options. A meth kit will run me close to $500. Comp turbo will be slightly more. I know people with good turbos make 400+ on 12 lbs so ik my turbo is limiting me. It would probably be smarter to just upgrade the turbo but requires more work.

aLmk
09-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Company called DNA motor sports. It's an eBay brand turbo. Given me no problems just can't handle the flow my motor puts out bc it's a .63 a/r housing. Spools quick but can't give me the big numbers I should be getting on 13psi. I'm really only getting meth to prevent knock. Been getting some lately. That should put me over 400 and keep my motor safe from preventing knocking
What kind of manifold you are using? I assume its a cast iron log manifold? If that is the case, regardless of what turbo you use, you will likely not make anymore power. The log manifolds just do not flow as they should. Also I wouldn't use a meth on street car to increase power as it could be dangerous.

Yea ik. This was meant to be a starter kit at 300hp. I wanted more. I plan on going with a comp turbo eventually and would probably be smarter than just adding a meth kit to this one but I haven't had one problem from this turbo. And even the name brands have known to shit out quickly. When a turbo goes it goes regardless of it being eBay or big name. But I also believe meth is smart bc it's proven to make more power and keeps things safer when running pump gas. I take no offense to your comments and advice. What you have said is true but I'm a believer in, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" just so many options. A meth kit will run me close to $500. Comp turbo will be slightly more. I know people with good turbos make 400+ on 12 lbs so ik my turbo is limiting me. It would probably be smarter to just upgrade the turbo but requires more work.
Excuse me, but Garrett GT turbos can last 300k miles.... Please don't compare a $1400-$1500 turbo to an eBay turbo that probably cost less than $500. The issue with mean. Is if you tune for it to increase power and run out of it without realizing, your motor will blow.

Lilwhit14
09-06-2013, 09:42 AM
What kind of manifold you are using? I assume its a cast iron log manifold? If that is the case, regardless of what turbo you use, you will likely not make anymore power. The log manifolds just do not flow as they should. Also I wouldn't use a meth on street car to increase power as it could be dangerous.

Excuse me, but Garrett GT turbos can last 300k miles.... Please don't compare a $1400-$1500 turbo to an eBay turbo that probably cost less than $500. The issue with mean. Is if you tune for it to increase power and run out of it without realizing, your motor will blow.

No need to get upset. I was just saying I've seen precisions go out after 30-40k miles. Just stating that you can get a bad big name just like you can rarely get a good eBay.

aLmk
09-06-2013, 09:45 AM
No need to get upset. I was just saying I've seen precisions go out after 30-40k miles. Just stating that you can get a bad big name just like you can rarely get a good eBay.
A Precision is not a Garrett. Precision is a knock off brand IMO. Borg Warner and Garrett turbos are found in OEM applications. You will never find a Precision turbo in such an application.

Lilwhit14
09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
A Precision is not a Garrett. Precision is a knock off brand IMO. Borg Warner and Garrett turbos are found in OEM applications. You will never find a Precision turbo in such an application.

A lot of people dick ride precision, so I use to think they were top of the line. Ill probably go with a compturbo to be honest

1SLOWFG2
09-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Of course there will always be horror stories if you look hard enough, but several issues with big names compared to hundreds or thousands of horror stories or issues with eBay turbos......well the numbers will speak for themselves.

Anyhow I agree with everyone else, get a tubular manifold and a good turbo and you will meet your power goals. Stay off meth it's all bad!

Si Speed 317
09-07-2013, 01:43 AM
What kind of manifold you are using?
This

Also I wouldn't use a meth on street car to increase power as it could be dangerous.
This.

Excuse me, but Garrett GT turbos can last 300k miles.... Please don't compare a $1400-$1500 turbo to an eBay turbo that probably cost less than $500. The issue with meth is if you tune for it to increase power and run out of it without realizing, your motor will blow.
Exactly on point.

Very true, however precision is a great company as well. Newer, yes. But they have some serious products. They've had to endure some learning experiences the hard way, just like many other companies. As long as they do right by their customers, they're good in my book.

A lot of people dick ride precision, so I use to think they were top of the line. Ill probably go with a compturbo to be honest
Comp is greay too, people used to bash comp a few years back as well. But if you're going to spend the money on a new turbo, DIRDIO. Do It Right, Do It Once. Get a ball bearing, and never look back. Prone to far less issues, and much longer lasting. It will outlast your car without a doubt, if you treat it right.

Of course there will always be horror stories if you look hard enough, but several issues with big names compared to hundreds or thousands of horror stories or issues with eBay turbos......well the numbers will speak for themselves.

Anyhow I agree with everyone else, get a tubular manifold and a good turbo and you will meet your power goals. Stay off meth it's all bad!
With you 100%!

aLmk
09-07-2013, 07:56 AM
To add a little more to this, the reason why a lot of people recommend/think precisions are awesome turbos is because a lot of race teams use them. They use them because they are cheaper and the journal bearing ones are easily rebuildable. These are 2 nice things for some, especially doing drag racing, that doesn't care so much about transient response of the turbo or things like water cooling since they are only beating on it for 10 seconds or so at a time. Most of us on here DD our cars and are not professional racers, so the ball bearing turbos, especially the water cooled ball bearing turbos, add some really nice benefits to street cars. You don't need to use a turbo timer, the turbo will be generally cooler, you get better response from ball bearing turbos so you can have fun on the street more easily without having to worry *as much* about being in the appropriate rev range or waiting for your turbo to spool for very much time. A couple weeks ago, I rode in my buddies car, he has a built motor with turbo cams and a journal bearing 6262, for the first time in like a year+ and since at this point I had now had a GT30 on my car for over a year, I really noticed how laggy his 6262 really was. When I rode in it the first time a couple years ago, I didn't notice it at all because I knew no better, but there was a truly noticeable lag even if he went full throttle immediately. My GT30 spools very quickly I never feel as though I'm 'waiting' for it to build boost, even with just a bit of throttle input the vac gauge will instantly go to 0 and start building boost in less than a second.

Lilwhit14
09-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Log mani. And I'm probably going with the compturbo 6465 billet ball bearing still comparing though. 3 weeks ago when tuned on 13 psi I made 373 and yesterday on a Dynojet (for shits and giggles) I made 268. I was tuned on a mustang Dyno. I'm still mind fucked by this

aLmk
09-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Maybe you have a really bad boost leak? If you're keeping your log manifold, you're not going to fit a 6465. And why would you want a turbo that large anyway? Isn't that like a 1000hp turbo?!!

1SLOWFG2
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Log mani. And I'm probably going with the compturbo 6465 billet ball bearing still comparing though. 3 weeks ago when tuned on 13 psi I made 373 and yesterday on a Dynojet (for shits and giggles) I made 268. I was tuned on a mustang Dyno. I'm still mind fucked by this

That's a huge turbo, I'm running a comp ct4-6062 triplex ceramic ball bearing billet turbo and I will make over 600 easy, but I am a little concerned about lag, as I was so used to my 30r spooling as soon as I even thought about touching the gas it seemed. That turbo is large and you should reconsider the size turbo your looking at.

Lilwhit14
09-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Maybe you have a really bad boost leak? If you're keeping your log manifold, you're not going to fit a 6465. And why would you want a turbo that large anyway? Isn't that like a 1000hp turbo?!!

Yea thats what the guy at compturbo said I needed. I thought a ct2 or ct3 5858, 6062, or 6262 would be plenty. And I plan on using the log mani for a while longer. I've seen them do fine up to 500hp. I'm just shooting for 400-430hp

Lilwhit14
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Sry that was for oneslowfg2

aLmk
09-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Please be aware your log manifold only has a t25 flange (very small) so that big turbo will not mount to that manifold and will not fit with an adaptor (would hit cowl) also those large turbos are designed for use with an external gate which your manifold doesn't have. And where have you seen log manifolds make 500hp on a k series?

Lilwhit14
09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
And idt I have a boost leak. Pipes are welded. I just think that Dyno was garbage bc my car pulls a lot harder than 268. If I really have 268 than 400 will unbolt my damn seat

aLmk
09-07-2013, 03:11 PM
What turbo manifold are you using? The leak could be in so many places, could be a loose coupler connection. Unless all your charge pipes are welded together? Which if they are, that's is honestly dumb as fuck...

Si Speed 317
09-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Yea thats what the guy at compturbo said I needed. I thought a ct2 or ct3 5858, 6062, or 6262 would be plenty. And I plan on using the log mani for a while longer. I've seen them do fine up to 500hp. I'm just shooting for 400-430hp
Bad idea.

Please be aware your log manifold only has a t25 flange (very small) so that big turbo will not mount to that manifold and will not fit with an adaptor (would hit cowl) also those large turbos are designed for use with an external gate which your manifold doesn't have. And where have you seen log manifolds make 500hp on a k series?
This

And idt I have a boost leak. Pipes are welded. I just think that Dyno was garbage bc my car pulls a lot harder than 268. If I really have 268 than 400 will unbolt my damn seat
So if your pipes are welded, theres no chance of a leak? You yave no coupler connection points, no couplers for your intercooler? No vac lines?

What turbo manifold are you using? The leak could be in so many places, could be a loose coupler connection. Unless all your charge pipes are welded together? Which if they are, that's is honestly dumb as fuck...

Right, what manifold are you using? Pat, my .02 is that you're being cheap in the wrong ways. You cheaped out on a turbo. No bueno. But you not only cheaped out on a turbo, but a manifold too? And now you're willing to buy a big turbo (which needs a t4 single or twin scroll flange) on a smallsmallsmall T25 flange? Not to mention the turbo won't even fit :facepalm:

I very strongly suggest you rethink things. We're trying to help, and you're not listening very well. You get what you pay for in every aspect of life. There are budgets and ballers, but in the end there is one timeless concept that one should always abide to:

Fast - Reliable - Cheap.
Pick two.

If it' fast and cheap, it's not reliable. If it's reliable and cheap, it's not fast.
If it's fast and reliable, it's not cheap.

Lilwhit14
09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Bad idea.

This

So if your pipes are welded, theres no chance of a leak? You yave no coupler connection points, no couplers for your intercooler? No vac lines?

Right, what manifold are you using? Pat, my .02 is that you're being cheap in the wrong ways. You cheaped out on a turbo. No bueno. But you not only cheaped out on a turbo, but a manifold too? And now you're willing to buy a big turbo (which needs a t4 single or twin scroll flange) on a smallsmallsmall T25 flange? Not to mention the turbo won't even fit :facepalm:

I very strongly suggest you rethink things. We're trying to help, and you're not listening very well. You get what you pay for in every aspect of life. There are budgets and ballers, but in the end there is one timeless concept that one should always abide to:

Fast - Reliable - Cheap.
Pick two.

If it' fast and cheap, it's not reliable. If it's reliable and cheap, it's not fast.
If it's fast and reliable, it's not cheap.

No I'm listening. I admitted I went the cheap route. I've talked to comp turbo he said it would fit. Idc at this point bc I'm about to trade it with a guy for an s2000. Want something rwd. Probably end up doing a k20 swap in it and turbo it the right way this time around considering this was the first time and it was a learning experience.

Si Speed 317
09-08-2013, 05:38 PM
No I'm listening. I admitted I went the cheap route. I've talked to comp turbo he said it would fit. Idc at this point bc I'm about to trade it with a guy for an s2000. Want something rwd. Probably end up doing a k20 swap in it and turbo it the right way this time around considering this was the first time and it was a learning experience.

Kswapped turbo s2k would be awesome, but know that their rears/diffs are glass. Either way, keep us updated and remain a member!

Lilwhit14
09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Yea. I just want something rwd but wanna stay with honda. It's got 142k miles on it but its guna be a daily and that's it for a year or two

aLmk
09-08-2013, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't trust the guy at comp telling you it will fit. Not that he doesn't know what he's talking about turbo wise, but I doubt he knows anything about this chassis specifically. Also why k swap an s2000? The f motor that is in it, is really strong and makes great power as well.