PDA

View Full Version : Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups

Si Speed 317
01-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Let's face it - even with boost-by-gear/rpm, it's hard to get traction in a high-hp FWD setup in cars weighing less than 3,000 lbs. When I use the word 'traction' I don't mean simply accelerating, but decelerating as well. So, after countless hours of research and productivity, I have come up with the following list of tires to help us achieve the traction we desire. Now, the following is a list that I have compiled myself, along with contributions from many other people's personal experiences. This list will always be updated with new tires, as new products are introduced to the market. So, if you see a tire missing that you believe NEEDS to be on this list, post it up with your experience!

To ensure safe sizing of your future tire setups, here is the handy Wheel and Tire Calculator: http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

The Best Tires for FWD Boosted Setups
*These are in no particular order*

Summer Tires

1. Nitto NT05
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/images/nt05.jpg
Very aggressive performance tire with a medium compound. This tire literally fights to keep traction, and provides great traction when driven cold. Provides amazing traction when warmed up! Priced at ~$142 for a 235/40/17, these ares are definitely affordable and a great bang-for-your-buck.

2. Hankook Ventus R-S3
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/hankook/hk_ventusrs3_ci2_l.jpg
Another aggressive performance tire with medium-hard compound. These were designed for performance street use, however are commonly seen at autocross tracks. And they're properly priced, around $145 a tire for 245/40/17. They provide great traction in dry weather, however if it's less than 40* out, they're useless.

3. Kumho Ecsta XS
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_xsku36_ci2_l.jpg
The Ecsta Xtreme Street tires are a surprise coming from Kumho. They provide excellent traction in dry weather, and are designed to work well in wet conditions as well. Great tire for a daily driver - traction on the nice days, with great grip on those rainy, cloudy days. They are fairly priced as well, running ~$159ea. for a 245/40/17.

4. Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/dunlop/du_dir_spt_z1_starspec_ci2_l.jpg
These are the tires everyone talks about. They provide superior traction in dry weather without being warmed up, and provide even better traction when warm. And, with a 200 wear rating, these will last for a good while. These tires were designed for lighter cars that have a hard time keeping traction, and are commonly seen on daily driven high hp FWD applications. Nicely priced at ~$175ea. for a 245/40/17, you can't go wrong with these. Don't use these babies in temperatures less than 40* though!

5. Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/bridgestone/bs_potenza_re11_ci2_l.jpg
Designed for grip, these tires won't disappoint the spirited driver that likes to take turns. They work great in dry situations, and are very suitable to wet conditions as well. They come at a price though, ~$244 a tire for a 245/40/17.

Track Tires
All tires listed below are NOT meant for wet conditions with high speed or temperatures below 40*.

1. Yokohama Advan A048
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/yokohama/yo_advan_a048_ci2_l.jpg
Medium-Hard compound tire, 60 wear rating means not too much longevity out of these in a street condition. Great track tire, autocross, circuit, or drag applications. Priced around $278 a tire for a 245/40/17.

2. Nitto NT555R Drag Radial
http://www.discounttirezone.com/assets/images/productimages/nitto/nt555r.jpg
A great tire, with unfortunately odd sizing options. Tires are greatly priced, at $170 for a 245/45/17. Only problem is sizing.

3. Nitto NT01
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/tires/nithz8.ang.jpg
Another great tire coming from Nitto - the NT01. At ~$154 for a 235/40/17, these are a great choice for traction! And, with a 100 wear rating, they'll last for a little bit. If you had a choice of drag radials, this is the one to get. One of the best bang-for-your-buck tires available.

4. M&H Racemaster Street and Strip
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9734/30056941.jpg
Great drag radial for those running 14, 15, and 16" wheels. Soft compound, made to be driven on the street on the way to the track, not as a daily driven tire. Don't let the look of the tire fool you, the soft compound of this tire makes it a great selection for traction! Typically sold in pairs, tires run ~$167ea for a 235/60/15.

Have great experience with a tire that you don't see listed above? Post it below!!

AxelTaylor
01-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Definately sold on teh NT05's now. Great thread!

Xander
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Wait really that cheap for the NT01's?

AxelTaylor
01-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Wait really that cheap for the NT01's?

Pretty sure I'm not the youngest person on this site now. :tap:

Xander
01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Pretty sure I'm not the youngest person on this site now. :tap:

I try not to advertise it

Spoolin_VTEC
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Great thread Si Speed 317. Gave you some whopping reputation points on this one :thumb:

As for prices, they seem pretty accurate. Definitely need to do some searching to find those prices, but that's what google shopping is for. Seems like tirerack and discounttiredirect prices mainly.

BoostedK20
01-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Great write up. Stickied! :thumb:

Repped as well.

boosted_teg
01-02-2012, 11:51 PM
i used these the past summer. Kumho Ecsta XS

great tire, especially with a 215 45 r16. they lasted a full summer with plenty of 3rd gear pulls leaving half the tire down the highway.

im in need of a newset, but hard to find good tires in a 45 r16

JUANonJUAN
01-03-2012, 01:56 PM
These are the best tires I've ran on the streets:
M&H Racemaster Street & Strip (D.O.T.)

http://www.mandhtires.com/sc_images/products/310_image.jpg

I run them as my street drag radial (some people go to the track with them, but I prefer slicks at the track). I run a 235/60/15 tire size... they hook great at 610whp (my lower hp map for the streets) ... i will never run anything else on the streets.

Spaz
01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
i want the nitto nt01

Si Speed 317
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
i used these the past summer. Kumho Ecsta XS

great tire, especially with a 215 45 r16. they lasted a full summer with plenty of 3rd gear pulls leaving half the tire down the highway.

im in need of a newset, but hard to find good tires in a 45 r16
Yea that's a tough size, hopefully some of the tires above come in that size. If not, go a bit wider and a tad less on the sidewall. For example, 225/40/16. Naw mean?

These are the best tires I've ran on the streets:
M&H Racemaster Street & Strip (D.O.T.)

http://www.mandhtires.com/sc_images/products/310_image.jpg

I run them as my street drag radial (some people go to the track with them, but I prefer slicks at the track). I run a 235/60/15 tire size... they hook great at 610whp (my lower hp map for the streets) ... i will never run anything else on the streets.
Nice, I've never seen these before. After some research, I found that these aren't available in 17+" applications, but seems like a great tire with a soft compound. Adding to the list!

i want the nitto nt01
:yeahthat: I might be getting these in the spring, we'll see. :ohnoes:

aLmk
01-04-2012, 02:44 PM
In for discussion. Also, once the turbo is in (roughly spring) I'll give a review of how my re-760 sports handle the boost, they have been great with just bolt ons.

Si Speed 317
01-04-2012, 03:01 PM
In for discussion. Also, once the turbo is in (roughly spring) I'll give a review of how my re-760 sports handle the boost, they have been great with just bolt ons.

That'll be great. Can't wait for your review! Anyone else with tire experiences? Bad or good? Winter tires too for those DD members.

You should post up your build thread and update progress as time goes on, new parts etc etc. :spaz:

vdubkilla
01-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I run the Bridgestone potenza re 11 s and they are awesome tires for holding the pavement best tires I've ever had

boosted_teg
01-04-2012, 10:59 PM
RE11s is the tire i wanted in the first place. I couldnt justify spending double the money if i knew they werent gong to last a summer, BUT my XS tires did so maybe re11s could be on the agenda.

in for more reviews

aLmk
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
I run the Bridgestone potenza re 11 s and they are awesome tires for holding the pavement best tires I've ever had

How long did they last you? I've heard nothing but great things about these.

BoostedK20
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Great reviews so far, keep them coming!

vdubkilla
01-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I have had them for about a year dont drive the car to much but when i do its generally hard driving I love the tires

aLmk
01-07-2012, 05:42 PM
cool do they still have plenty of tread left?

Si Speed 317
01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
:yeahthat:

06_typeS
01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I'm running the stock MIchelin Pilot Sport tires. Not good if your looking for traction from 1st-4th, lol. In all seriousness. great thread, ive been looking for a good tire review for boosted Honda's. Where did you find your prices? I wonder if that would include shipping. Prices would probably double if I was to buy a tire here in Canada.

Si Speed 317
01-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Prices for all tires, other than Nitto, were from TireRack.com. I'm pretty sure you can get them in Canada for not that bad of a price. I believe all Nitto tire prices were taken off discounttiredirect.com

aLmk
03-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Has anyone used the rs-3's in cold winter weather? Less than 40*?

Si Speed 317
03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
^ I did some reviews online, they're literally 'useless' in temps ≤40

vdubkilla
03-06-2012, 10:34 AM
The Re 11s are not for winter driving but they are perfect for me as I usually pull the car apart every winter anyway .I ran these last year in my eg hatch at 585 hp and 414 trq they held the pavement better than any tire I have ever owned .They are still in great condition and have plenty of life left .I put about 3000 miles on them so far and street drive the car often on race gas haha just dont feel like draining it all the time .I will be buying Bridgestone Potenzas re 11 s again when needed !! this year I am gonna ask my tuner to keep me around 550 hp on the pump gas tune as last year when making big pulls on street tires traction would get a little light at around 120 or so and the car would begin to float a bit / lose traction very slightly up front I just had to feather the pedal a little up top :ohnoes: .I was at 585 hp and 414 trq on q 16 so I fiqure I'll try for 550 and see if it keeps it from floating on street tires up top .Its not an issue on race gas and slicks just an issue on street tires .I'm hoping to join the 700+ club this season on vp import and a newly built engine and head !

SAX JONZ
02-23-2013, 08:55 PM
This is the forum! Thanks so much for sharing. I need to look at all of these posts before I ask questions that have been asked before! Thanks again.

BoostedK20
02-23-2013, 09:14 PM
This is the forum! Thanks so much for sharing. I need to look at all of these posts before I ask questions that have been asked before! Thanks again.

It's all good, it happens. No one's perfect! We are doing our best to post as much informational threads as possible, so if you have info/personal experience to add to this thread or would like to make your own informational thread to contribute to the community, please do so!

Spoolin_VTEC
02-25-2013, 12:46 AM

Agreed, definitely very useful! :thumb:

SAX JONZ
03-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Is there anyone running stock sized rims and big HP? Not sure if I'm crazy about running camber to get my rims to fit inside wheel wells.

ksboi
03-10-2013, 01:56 AM
I do carry some of these brands if yall need them. I also found these for you track guys.

http://imageshack.us/a/img201/3405/hanhzbl.jpg
Hankook Z214 Road Racing C51
Symmetrically designed semi-slick tire with tread with longitudinal tread grooves for outstanding performance on the circuit in dry or damp conditions. (road legal with DOT number)

Heat Cycling
Competition tires are built with a highly sophisticated tread compound. This compound is capable of sustaining traction throughout a much wider temperature range, but is also extremely sensitive to the first heat cycle of its use. During this cycle the tread compound stretches as it heats.

The Discount Tire heat cycling system ensures consistent results by maintaining key conditions during the heat cycle process. The system generates uniform heating and progressive temperature build up throughout the tread. The benefit of this process is a tread compound that lasts longer and provides better traction. All competition tire manufacturers recommend a heat cycling service. Have your competition tires heat cycled today and be race ready!

EP3toMS3
11-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Hello all. I hate to make my first post a necro, but I really can't find good information anywhere else about streetable tires for high HP (or in my case high TQ) FWD applications. I sold my EP3 hatch and now have a '13 speed3 currently putting down 307whp 359tq, and even with a load limited by gear tune, it's rough to get traction well into 3rd as the temperatures drop.

I see the NT-05 doesn't have the "useless under 40*F" comment attached, and that is what I'm primarily wondering. Do any of these tires remain pliable near freezing temperatures? I'm also stuck with 18" wheels for now, so the rigid sidewalls of 40 aspect ratios aren't going to do me any favors.

Thanks for any input.

(and on a side note, I plan to buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports for their all-around performance if I can't find the "compromise" tire I'm looking for)

aLmk
11-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Hello all. I hate to make my first post a necro, but I really can't find good information anywhere else about streetable tires for high HP (or in my case high TQ) FWD applications. I sold my EP3 hatch and now have a '13 speed3 currently putting down 307whp 359tq, and even with a load limited by gear tune, it's rough to get traction well into 3rd as the temperatures drop.

I see the NT-05 doesn't have the "useless under 40*F" comment attached, and that is what I'm primarily wondering. Do any of these tires remain pliable near freezing temperatures? I'm also stuck with 18" wheels for now, so the rigid sidewalls of 40 aspect ratios aren't going to do me any favors.

Thanks for any input.

(and on a side note, I plan to buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports for their all-around performance if I can't find the "compromise" tire I'm looking for)
Pretty much all of the tires posted in this thread are EPST (extreme performance summer tires) and thus will work very poorly below 40*. For me, I just accept the fact that my car will struggle to have traction in the winter and use full out snow tires on case it snows so I'm not totally sol. I also turn my boost controller off so I'm at bare minimum boost pressures, although I'm not sure how easy that is for you to do on your speed3. Now if you really want to find a tire that works well in the cold, I would try out the continental dws as they are a higher performance all season tire. I'm not sure if they will hook with that much torque though, a guy I know on here used them on his supercharged civic and just today he was posting about how first gear is absolutely useless and second is almost useless, this is in 30* weather with boost limited in first and second with a bypass valve and boost controller. He also has far less torque than yours at only around 230 or so iirc.

BoostedK20
11-14-2013, 07:31 PM
In reality, most people are abke to have different summer and winter tires. For those people, go all out. As, safety is most important. However, there are solutions for those that aren't able to have different sets of wheels. As an example, the Nexen N3000 tires are great for traction when heated up (in terms of performance), but still good without an intentional heat-up. They are also decent in the snow, and won't break in sub-40*F weather.

That's a personal review for you!

EP3toMS3
11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Pretty much all of the tires posted in this thread are EPST (extreme performance summer tires) and thus will work very poorly below 40*. For me, I just accept the fact that my car will struggle to have traction in the winter and use full out snow tires on case it snows so I'm not totally sol. I also turn my boost controller off so I'm at bare minimum boost pressures, although I'm not sure how easy that is for you to do on your speed3. Now if you really want to find a tire that works well in the cold, I would try out the continental dws as they are a higher performance all season tire. I'm not sure if they will hook with that much torque though, a guy I know on here used them on his supercharged civic and just today he was posting about how first gear is absolutely useless and second is almost useless, this is in 30* weather with boost limited in first and second with a bypass valve and boost controller. He also has far less torque than yours at only around 230 or so iirc.

Thanks for the reply, aLmk. I sort of figured there was no perfect compromise or everyone would be running them. I do live in Alabama, and snow accumulation on the roads is both rare and typically leads to road closures, so I'm still leaning more toward running an extreme performance tire but perhaps without the ultra-aggressive tread pattern (or lack therof) of the NT05.

The Conti DWS is a great suggestion. I've heard some good things about them on the mazdaspeed forum, but the topics there don't really address the milder climates that just get cold snaps, it's either Blizzak or extreme summer tires, and those look like a pretty rigid compound rated at 50k miles / 540 TWR. It would probably be smart of me to get those or something similar, but I think I'm going to try my luck with something softer so I can run them year round.

Yoko S.Drives, Pilot SS, and Cooper RS3-S have my eye at the moment, all being 300TWR and having plenty of siping to evacuate water and maybe offer enough grip to get me to work on semi-slick roads. If I have good results with whatever I choose, I'll report back!

Spaz
11-14-2013, 08:05 PM
I have the sdrives and for the price I paid I'm super impressed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

EP3toMS3
11-14-2013, 08:17 PM
In reality, most people are abke to have different summer and winter tires. For those people, go all out. As, safety is most important. However, there are solutions for those that aren't able to have different sets of wheels. As an example, the Nexen N3000 tires are great for traction when heated up (in terms of performance), but still good without an intentional heat-up. They are also decent in the snow, and won't break in sub-40*F weather.

That's a personal review for you!

I'm almost embarrassed I forgot about those tires - they were on my EP3 when I bought it! They cornered like beasts until they wore down, and it was almost as if the rubber compound changed and they got really greasy. With how cheap they are I could definitely give them another shot - and the sexy tread pattern does look like it could handle shedding some light snow. I don't know if they can hook on a 235/40/18 on a warm day, but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

Hopefully next winter I'll have some extra wheels/tires for the car, but I'm having difficulty prioritizing for our typical climate and those remaining mods screaming for my wallet.

aLmk
11-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, aLmk. I sort of figured there was no perfect compromise or everyone would be running them. I do live in Alabama, and snow accumulation on the roads is both rare and typically leads to road closures, so I'm still leaning more toward running an extreme performance tire but perhaps without the ultra-aggressive tread pattern (or lack therof) of the NT05.

The Conti DWS is a great suggestion. I've heard some good things about them on the mazdaspeed forum, but the topics there don't really address the milder climates that just get cold snaps, it's either Blizzak or extreme summer tires, and those look like a pretty rigid compound rated at 50k miles / 540 TWR. It would probably be smart of me to get those or something similar, but I think I'm going to try my luck with something softer so I can run them year round.

Yoko S.Drives, Pilot SS, and Cooper RS3-S have my eye at the moment, all being 300TWR and having plenty of siping to evacuate water and maybe offer enough grip to get me to work on semi-slick roads. If I have good results with whatever I choose, I'll report back!
I love my dunlop star specs and highly recommend the newer version of them, the star spec zIIs. They are even better than what I have and about the same price. Of course I don't think you can get the zI star specs anymore since they are discontinued, I bought mine before the new ones came out.

vdubkilla
11-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I have searched and discussed this topic several times .I currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s they are hands down the best tire I have ever had in summer temps for dry street traction .They do however fade as the temps drop .I love these tires but am also on the hunt for a good winter tire. I am considering several but have not decided what to go with as of yet .

wannavtec
11-14-2013, 10:13 PM
+1 for star specs they are great summer tires.

bluEP3_SC
11-15-2013, 08:54 AM
I have searched and discussed this topic several times .I currently run Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s they are hands down the best tire I have ever had in summer temps for dry street traction .They do however fade as the temps drop .I love these tires but am also on the hunt for a good winter tire. I am considering several but have not decided what to go with as of yet .

+1- i am running the newer potenza RE-11a's and they are incredible.

Si Speed 317
11-15-2013, 11:31 AM

The S-drives are pretty good, I used to have them on my old 18x8 ce28n's. However...

I'm almost embarrassed I forgot about those tires - they were on my EP3 when I bought it! They cornered like beasts until they wore down, and it was almost as if the rubber compound changed and they got really greasy. With how cheap they are I could definitely give them another shot - and the sexy tread pattern does look like it could handle shedding some light snow. I don't know if they can hook on a 235/40/18 on a warm day, but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

Hopefully next winter I'll have some extra wheels/tires for the car, but I'm having difficulty prioritizing for our typical climate and those remaining mods screaming for my wallet.
..I'm currently running the Nexen N3000's. I'm pretty surprised at how well they perform! Slight downside is the soft sidewall, makes cornering a bit tough if you have a stiff suspension setup. Then again, i'm running 17x9's woth 245/40 all around. For now anyway. Next season, gonna go much wider up front ;)

wannavtec
11-15-2013, 04:12 PM
I may consider BFG rivals 245/40 in the future. The reviews look pretty good and if I ever decide to hit a road course or autocross they would work well.

SAX JONZ
11-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm running the Direzzas, great tire for cornering. Traction is the best tire I've ever used...till the end of season. Must be something in the compound that works great for a few months but they lose traction after awhile. Expensive tires. I think the wider helps but after a few thosand miles they slip a bit. First day was perfect as the traction was incredible but gradually less as season wore on. But from all of the tires for summer I've experienced potenzas on my s2k these impressed me as far as cornering goes. Tread still looks like new so...

EP3toMS3
12-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I promised to report back if I had some good news... and I think I do. This might seem odd, but I went with UHP all season Nitto Neo Gens 235/40/18. They're a soft compound low silica / high rubber content tire, so they stay pliable in the cold, evacuate plenty of water for safe inclement driving, and have enough sidewall squirm that it translates into outstanding acceleration grip. The shoulders are still very blocky both inside and out, and they only compromise with two large aqua grooves - so there's a lot of contact patch.

I lost a bit of responsiveness, but the lateral G's are still outstanding (I'd say better than the .93g the OEM Dunflops attain on stock suspension). I wouldn't auto-x or road course these tires even over-inflated, but they kick ass for my DD need to boost, and I'm fairly sure I'll be able to lay down some 1.9-2.0 60fts come Spring, which for me is great on a street tire.

One of the BT guys pushing ~400/400 on MSF suggested them, and I was a bit apprehensive. Not any more. They're also very quiet, a fringe benefit for my reasonably low NVH car. (test pipe and motor mount)

aLmk
12-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I promised to report back if I had some good news... and I think I do. This might seem odd, but I went with UHP all season Nitto Neo Gens 235/40/18. They're a soft compound low silica / high rubber content tire, so they stay pliable in the cold, evacuate plenty of water for safe inclement driving, and have enough sidewall squirm that it translates into outstanding acceleration grip. The shoulders are still very blocky both inside and out, and they only compromise with two large aqua grooves - so there's a lot of contact patch.

I lost a bit of responsiveness, but the lateral G's are still outstanding (I'd say better than the .93g the OEM Dunflops attain on stock suspension). I wouldn't auto-x or road course these tires even over-inflated, but they kick ass for my DD need to boost, and I'm fairly sure I'll be able to lay down some 1.9-2.0 60fts come Spring, which for me is great on a street tire.

One of the BT guys pushing ~400/400 on MSF suggested them, and I was a bit apprehensive. Not any more. They're also very quiet, a fringe benefit for my reasonably low NVH car. (test pipe and motor mount)
How much power you making? Good luck getting a 1.9-2.0 60ft out of street tires! Best I've done on street tires was like 2.2 and that was with just an intake LOL. I cut 1.7s with slicks.

EP3toMS3
12-06-2013, 01:40 AM
How much power you making? Good luck getting a 1.9-2.0 60ft out of street tires! Best I've done on street tires was like 2.2 and that was with just an intake LOL. I cut 1.7s with slicks.

310whp 360tq, probably a bit more this time of year with the cooler temps. Car weighs 3200lbs. I was fairly consistent with 2.13 being my best 60ft on Dunlop RE050's and seldom over 2.2s at the local 1/8th mile, but the problems arose when I went to the nearest 1/4 mile and was spinning through 3rd from the dew on the track. 14.2 @ 107. I know the car is good for high 12s ~110mph but I don't want to buy a drag setup - at least not yet.

These tires were meant to solve my mild winter, mostly 3 season-ish, not get me killed in standing water traction desires for putting down the power as best as possible, and compromising as little as possible lateral grip. What it really comes down to is large contact patch, soft rubber, and soft sidewalls with adequate water channeling.

You can't really do that with summer tires because they get too hard below 40*F, and any tire meant for max performance is going to have a rigid sidewall. I feel like I'm getting off really well here with the only substantial compromise being the immediacy at which the lateral grip is delivered.

Si Speed 317
01-23-2014, 09:22 AM
310whp 360tq, probably a bit more this time of year with the cooler temps. Car weighs 3200lbs. I was fairly consistent with 2.13 being my best 60ft on Dunlop RE050's and seldom over 2.2s at the local 1/8th mile, but the problems arose when I went to the nearest 1/4 mile and was spinning through 3rd from the dew on the track. 14.2 @ 107. I know the car is good for high 12s ~110mph but I don't want to buy a drag setup - at least not yet.

These tires were meant to solve my mild winter, mostly 3 season-ish, not get me killed in standing water traction desires for putting down the power as best as possible, and compromising as little as possible lateral grip. What it really comes down to is large contact patch, soft rubber, and soft sidewalls with adequate water channeling.

You can't really do that with summer tires because they get too hard below 40*F, and any tire meant for max performance is going to have a rigid sidewall. I feel like I'm getting off really well here with the only substantial compromise being the immediacy at which the lateral grip is delivered.

I have the Nexen N3000's currently, and I definitely couldn't get a 2.3 60' if I tried! Lmao. Can you post some pictures if you don't mind? Would like to see the MS3 as well! Create a build thread!

aLmk
01-23-2014, 11:25 AM

Gotcha you must have a good feel for the car! I cannot recommend a slick setup enough though, it makes racing the car so much better.

EP3toMS3
01-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Gotcha you must have a good feel for the car! I cannot recommend a slick setup enough though, it makes racing the car so much better.

No doubt they'd ease my frustration, but I've dropped a good bit of coin in the electronics (laser jammer and radar detector) this winter - so some FD (RX-7) wheels and slicks will probably be a Spring purchase.

We've got some Mazdaspeedforum guys stock intake / exhaust just running E85 tunes and slicks clocking 12.5@110, so I'm fairly certain there's a nice 12.3~112 tucked in my car if I want to subject her to the abuse, but for me this tire puzzle was more about DD use and the ability to use 2nd gear without detuning back to basically stock load levels.

Thus far the neo gens are still providing outstanding straight line grip, not showing perceptible wear at ~2K miles, and at $490 delivered from DTD I'd say they were a great deal.

Here's the youtube vid if you guys want to check out what they're doing with stock intake/exhaust, backseat and spare tire removed and a corn tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeyY6mvWnPk

EP3toMS3
06-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Just checking back in! I've made my turbo swap, putting down ~360+ now (no official dyno), and traction issues are getting to be a headache. I've installed an Airlift kit in the rear coils to reduce weight transfer, but any attempt to get away from squirmy sidewall low TWR all seasons has been met with fail. These rigid sidewall summer tires just blow through 2nd gear like it's free revving in neutral. It's probably not quite as bad for you Honda guys with lighter cars and less torque, but the 2.3L in my Mazda is also producing a near instant 360+ ft-lbs, and the reverse taper to 24.5psi isn't doing a whole lot to help.

I guess I'm stuck with sacrificing agility for grip. The Neo Gen still appears to be the best compromise tire for the dollar, but I will keep on searching.

aLmk
06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Have you tried a nice EPST yet? I think they would probably help you over an all season...

BuBBaSBuBBLE
06-04-2014, 11:06 PM
my new tire setup for the street. Enkei RPF1 15x7 +35 offset wrapped with a 225-50-15 Mickey Thompson ET street radials. So far so good on 9 Psi the tires hold up pretty well in 2nd and 3rd gear. We'll see when I up the boost. lol :giggle:

EP3toMS3
06-09-2014, 12:49 AM
I must retract my previous statement - I've found traction nirvana from a completely unexpected tire. The Continental DW is apparently fabricated with unicorn jizz, because the 340 TWR and tread pattern look nothing like a tire that could possibly harness power.

But they do.

They run wide for their claimed width, have some soft-ish sidewalls, but the way they hook is completely uncanny. I've tried Kumho 50 TWR R-comps at 20 psi - they aren't even close. These Conti DW's (not DWS, that's the all season) were apparently a deal with the devil, because I cannot further explain how they hook up 2nd gear - on a car with short gearing no less.

This is no auto-x tire with the lack of transient response, but for pure street groping prowess, this is the ticket. Apparently they wear well also, which would be just a bonus at this point. I'm amazed.

Si Speed 317
06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
^ Great post! +1

ksboi
06-11-2014, 12:18 AM
I must retract my previous statement - I've found traction nirvana from a completely unexpected tire. The Continental DW is apparently fabricated with unicorn jizz, because the 340 TWR and tread pattern look nothing like a tire that could possibly harness power.

But they do.

They run wide for their claimed width, have some soft-ish sidewalls, but the way they hook is completely uncanny. I've tried Kumho 50 TWR R-comps at 20 psi - they aren't even close. These Conti DW's (not DWS, that's the all season) were apparently a deal with the devil, because I cannot further explain how they hook up 2nd gear - on a car with short gearing no less.

This is no auto-x tire with the lack of transient response, but for pure street groping prowess, this is the ticket. Apparently they wear well also, which would be just a bonus at this point. I'm amazed.

These Continental ExtremeContact DW?

SAX JONZ
06-11-2014, 12:22 AM
So, either great cornering or great straight line performance or a sacrifice for both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

EP3toMS3
06-11-2014, 12:44 AM
These Continental ExtremeContact DW?

Correct!

And they semi-suck for lateral changes in direction... I'll try to clarify as best I can. They grip well once you commit to a corner, and they provide sufficient feedback to let you know you're breaking loose, but they DO NOT handle slalom style movements well at all. The sidewalls are just shy of an all-season, but the grip is on par with a drag radial.

There's no doubt you have to choose your poison with tires, and thus far, the Conti DW is easily the best all-around compromise for straight line grip, decent lateral grip, OK transient response, A+ wet weather safety, and outstanding wear characteristics (according to reviews and TWR, far too few miles on mine to back that up).

If we could all DD slicks that worked in the rain, we would... but it doesn't exist just yet. I'm convinced these tires are about as close as you're going to get, and still be able to take a few corners at fun speed.

To put this in perspective... my FWD car that eats C6 Corvettes from a sushi roll is capable of hooking 2nd gear. That is nuts IMO.

SAX JONZ
06-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Awesome. Well have to check these out. I was blown away by my new setup in the rain and even more with the 245,40,17 Z2 direzzas but I will try them next set. Maybe if they are all season buy for stock rims.

BoostedK20
06-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Loving the feedback in this thread. Let's keep this going! Share away

SAX JONZ
06-11-2014, 09:38 PM
These are summer tires but still, for 100 a piece? Nice price!

ksboi
06-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I will be buying a set then. If anyone wants a set let me know I will sell them at the forum cost. Shipping has changed since the place we buy from no longer ship for some reason so shipping will need to be calculated.