PDA

View Full Version : Need help piece turbo together

ISprayNosFg2
09-12-2011, 12:34 PM
i dont know anything about turbo..i was gonna post on 8thcivic but i feel like the forum are more of the type not to be very open on things when needed since members on there been saying nitrous for p#$$* and babys ..

all im looking for is to push 7-9 psi ..nothing to insane..and no i dont want to get a greddy turbo kit or one of those high end turbo kit[too pricey].. what do i need to get together to make this work? what a good turbo for DD? i will not ditch my direct port so that be the fun part..

i know you guys are the best out there when it come to turbo so please help me out..only time will tell and i have all the time in the world to make it happen..i will dedicate my turbo build to this forum as i learn from the best..:turbohug:

420Coupe
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
GT2871R Quick spooling and and more like 12-15 lbs FYI K20 handles it no problem all day everyday rapping on it

Spoolin_VTEC
09-12-2011, 01:26 PM
i dont know anything about turbo..i was gonna post on 8thcivic but i feel like the forum are more of the type not to be very open on things when needed since members on there been saying nitrous for p#$$* and babys ..

all im looking for is to push 7-9 psi ..nothing to insane..and no i dont want to get a greddy turbo kit or one of those high end turbo kit[too pricey].. what do i need to get together to make this work? what a good turbo for DD? i will not ditch my direct port so that be the fun part..

i know you guys are the best out there when it come to turbo so please help me out..only time will tell and i have all the time in the world to make it happen..i will dedicate my turbo build to this forum as i learn from the best..:turbohug:
I just PMed Si Speed 317, he is the MAN to ask in this situation as he drives ~100 miles a day IIRC and just changed his turbo setup.

Si Speed 317
09-13-2011, 10:27 AM
I just PMed Si Speed 317, he is the MAN to ask in this situation as he drives ~100 miles a day IIRC and just changed his turbo setup.

OP, here's what I went through. I started with a TSI log manifold, TSI downpipe and a GT2871R ball bearing turbo (and individually pieced the rest of my kit together). As time went on, I loved it - until summer hit. The turbo isn't made to be a top-end puller, as it kind of runs out of breath at ~7k. I also needed to keep vtec at 5800rpm due to the log manifold setup. Log manifolds aren't as dependable as tubular manifolds. Long story short, I went with a tubular manifold with an external wastegate - but that was much better for me because I wanted both mid range and top end, as well as an external wastegate.

For me to tell you anything more, I'd need to know what budget you're looking at and how much power you want to put down. :thumb:

ISprayNosFg2
09-13-2011, 11:20 AM
budget $4000 ...want to push around 300ish hp ...hopefully i can work something out with my direct port and still have my nitrous spraying til the turbo spool up..any thought and idea?

thanks for your time/help

PetefromtheStreets
09-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Keeping spray and boosting is going to murder your 300who goal. Lol.

In all honesty I don't see that ending well for your stock pistons and or rods. You'll go through plugs left an right.

I didn't go turbo so I can't say what's your best route but I CAN say an external gated setup is way cooler. Lol

Si Speed 317
09-15-2011, 11:00 AM
budget $4000 ...want to push around 300ish hp ...hopefully i can work something out with my direct port and still have my nitrous spraying til the turbo spool up..any thought and idea?

thanks for your time/help

Keeping spray and boosting is going to murder your 300who goal. Lol.

In all honesty I don't see that ending well for your stock pistons and or rods. You'll go through plugs left an right.

I didn't go turbo so I can't say what's your best route but I CAN say an external gated setup is way cooler. Lol

^ This.

And as Adam said, you're going to annihilate that goal of 300whp very easily. How much were you pushing with your direct-injection setup alone?

When you say "hopefully i can work something out with my direct port and still have my nitrous spraying til the turbo spool up", it made me realize something. With a small to mid size turbo (from a Greddy turbo to a GT30 or 5857) You'll spool stoopid fast. You won't even need the nitrous to support it. If you go with a 6262, then the bit of lag could be defeated with your nitrous, but even then you won't really need it. And, if you're using a 6262, you'll be able to push 500+whp without a sweat. And that's before nitrous, unless you only use nitrous to increase spool speed.

And it can be done for close to $4k, but that all depends on what setup you go with. Let's get some of this stuff answered and we'll go from there.

ISprayNosFg2
09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
i had to look up the word "annihilate " to make sure what it meant...LMFAO ...with 100 shot it was @ 312hp ..with 75 shot it was @ 286hp...lost the dyno sheets so it wont do any good. my car only see 75 shot 3 time out of it whole life and the rest is 100 shot..

i just want to use nitrous when the turbo is lagging..once it out of the lag mode then its all turbo from there .i heard that i can spray nitrous when using turbo...is it true?

PetefromtheStreets
09-15-2011, 10:48 PM
i had to look up the word "annihilate " to make sure what it meant...LMFAO ...with 100 shot it was @ 312hp ..with 75 shot it was @ 286hp...lost the dyno sheets so it wont do any good. my car only see 75 shot 3 time out of it whole life and the rest is 100 shot..

i just want to use nitrous when the turbo is lagging..once it out of the lag mode then its all turbo from there .i heard that i can spray nitrous when using turbo...is it true?

Why the transition into the turbo world if nitrous has you at your 300whp goal already?

Not trying to sway your opinion I'm just curious.

ISprayNosFg2
09-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Every babys need to learn new things ..yes my nitrous is always there when I want it to be ..very good for being a dd but I would also like a little of turbo in it . Just to give me a feeling that I felt years ago in my brother s4 ..

It's something I'm looking forward to and hopeing to make it happen even tho my nitrous is still good already ..its like a feeling you want something and you gotta have it but slowly so it will worth with.. idk I guess I'm getting sleepy ..time to go sleep with my kids ..

Si Speed 317
09-16-2011, 11:54 AM

It's all good, no one knows everything. As for the 100 shot, you definitely won't need it if you're boosting. If you want to decrease lag, then you could run a 25-50 shot and it will be more than enough IMO. You can spray nitrous while in boost with your turbo, but there is no need for it. In fact, it will make tuning much more difficult as nitrous is hard to tune as it is. You'd need to spray every time you boost for your tune to be accurate, but the spray isn't needed for that.

You CAN use the spray to make the turbo spool, but you would need a bigger turbo (GT35 or 6262 and bigger) for the spray to be needed - and even then it's not needed that much.

ISprayNosFg2
09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Yep ..imma use the nitrous to spool it up faster then the nitrous will be off ..I just want to use it to get out of the lag ..that's about it .what turbo you recommend for me and parts I needed to get together to make the turbo work it magic ?

Thanks for the idea and suggestions

Si Speed 317
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
Well, you'd need a turbo that would be big enough to have lag, so a GT35 would probably be your best bet. But that turbo is ~1300 and then you'd need a good manifold, downpipe/testpipe, intercooler, piping, fuel pump, fuel injectors, etc. That would be hard for ~$4k, mainly because you'd need a great manifold and it's hard to find any good ones used.

You could run a TSI manifold with a GT3071R but you wouldn't really need the nitrous to help with spool, actually what is your nitrous window now? You COULD use it at lower rpm but it would be killer on your transmission.

PetefromtheStreets
09-19-2011, 02:03 PM
4k budget for a turbo kit piecing together will be hard. And instead of buying a turbo that has lag just for nitrous to be useful I'd just do something like a 30r and tune it then tune for spray on top of that.

Otherwise the nitrous will be useless.

You figure chris millers 1200hp hatch doesn't use nitrous to spool his big ass turbo. But I think it would be pretty bad ass nitrous&turbo together. But daaaaaaaaaamn it's gonna put a hurting on those internals.

ISprayNosFg2
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
nitrous window is set at 4k rpm to 8400 rpm... 4k on a turbo build is what im looking to spend but im not in a rush to get the parts in so i can go out of the budget to make it work if needed ..
so which turbo you guys perfer me using ? GT35 or GT3071R o 30R.. i know that the turbo itself will be expensive as is so just tell me which turbo is best for me and i will go from there.. nitrous or not..doesnt matter..i will work around it once i have the kit togther

Si Speed 317
09-19-2011, 11:51 PM
4k budget for a turbo kit piecing together will be hard. And instead of buying a turbo that has lag just for nitrous to be useful I'd just do something like a 30r and tune it then tune for spray on top of that.

Otherwise the nitrous will be useless.

You figure chris millers 1200hp hatch doesn't use nitrous to spool his big ass turbo. But I think it would be pretty bad ass nitrous&turbo together. But daaaaaaaaaamn it's gonna put a hurting on those internals.

nitrous window is set at 4k rpm to 8400 rpm... 4k on a turbo build is what im looking to spend but im not in a rush to get the parts in so i can go out of the budget to make it work if needed ..
so which turbo you guys perfer me using ? GT35 or GT3071R o 30R.. i know that the turbo itself will be expensive as is so just tell me which turbo is best for me and i will go from there.. nitrous or not..doesnt matter..i will work around it once i have the kit togther

Well, I would say GT3076R would be best of all worlds because it is the best all around turbo. Rated to ~525hp, super fast spool, and not that big so it fits no problem. But, you won't need nitrous at all. It would just complicate things. GT35R would be better for nitrous use, but your motor is gonna be screaming if it's not built.

To be honest, with a 4k budget you're looking at a T25 GT3071R and a TSI manifold/downpipe setup. TSI downpipe and manifold will run you 350 shipped if you can get TSI to send it to you, and the turbo is 1240 IIRC from evans-tuning.com. If you went with the GT3076R, it would be much more for a manifold because it's a T3 flange and uses a tubular manifold. And this is all not needing any nitrous support due to the crazy spool.

Even with a 6262 on this motor, you won't really need nitrous. K series motors aren't like 2JZ supra setups - big ass turbo that, when you floor it, takes forever to spool. And once it spools and boosts - it hits you like a ton of bricks in a snap. That application would benefit from using nitrous.

ISprayNosFg2
09-20-2011, 01:35 PM
ok i have decided to go with GT3076R. but i need help on this..how am i going with it setting on this website > http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-005&Category_Code=GRT

i have no idea how to compare or deal with turbo since im always been a nitrous guy since i was 19 and now i want to make a step next door and try something different.i had a jrc supercharger laying in my garage but sold it since i wanted to stick with my nitrous. what manifold/downpipe should i get for this? does the intercooler size matter? do i need to rebuild my motor?

Varion Icaria
09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
What car are you currently using? You're in GA which isn't that far from me. I just built my turbo kit from the ground up for around the same budget you are in. I can help you with how to make custom piping and fitting and installing the turbo when the time comes as I did it all myself. I do have a manifold for an Ep3/RSX that is T3 flanged in my trunk. Hit me up by txt and I could help you out. PM me for my number

ISprayNosFg2
09-22-2011, 11:50 AM
texted you last night but i think i text the wrong person...LOL

any help guys on the setting of the turbo i have linked? thanks

PetefromtheStreets
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Just a 3076 t3 and probably the bigger a/r housing. I can't open the damn link for some reason. iPhone fail.

Varion Icaria
09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
texted you last night but i think i text the wrong person...LOL

any help guys on the setting of the turbo i have linked? thanks

yeah i didnt get a txt last night. pm me yiur number and i will txt you

Si Speed 317
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
ok i have decided to go with GT3076R. but i need help on this..how am i going with it setting on this website > http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-005&Category_Code=GRT

i have no idea how to compare or deal with turbo since im always been a nitrous guy since i was 19 and now i want to make a step next door and try something different.i had a jrc supercharger laying in my garage but sold it since i wanted to stick with my nitrous. what manifold/downpipe should i get for this? does the intercooler size matter? do i need to rebuild my motor?

First: http://www.evans-tuning.com/ecommerce/turbos/garrett/gt3076r.html
Same turbo, cheaper. Got mine from there too. Free shipping. You need a T3, 4 bolt, .82 exhaust housing. As for the intercooler, you need a 500+hp capable IC, single sided is easiest. You won't need to rebuild your motor if it is internally in good condition and you have equal compression in all cylinders. Manifold and downpipe depend, you'll need a T3 flange manifold for that turbo. and 1000cc injectors (ID or FIC is good). And a walbro 255lph fuel pump. Thats for starters :thumb:

ISprayNosFg2
09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
^ thats what im talking about...quick answer ...now its time to get it in and piece it together..i will post as parts come in..

thanks boostedk20 family..
me luv you long time >no homo

PetefromtheStreets
09-22-2011, 10:04 PM
To add to speeds list I'd grab an aeromotive 340lph pump instead. It's the same size as your 255's and it flows more so no need to upgrade later depending on if you get the need for speed. Lol

Also deatchwerks makes some good injectors also. For your 300whp goal 550's would be fine BUT no since in paying 400 for 550's when you can get 1,000's for the same and again no need to upgrade.

If you aren't running a return line fuel system please add that on there. I'm not so sure it's needed for 300 hp but I'm sure you'll tune past that once it's all set to roll. If your on a factory clutch you'll need a new one. I have a competition clutch stage 4 that I'll sell you for dumb cheap. I upgraded to a twin disc so it's to be of no use to me. Anyways good luck on your build and please keep us updated.

Si Speed 317
09-23-2011, 10:37 AM
^ thats what im talking about...quick answer ...now its time to get it in and piece it together..i will post as parts come in..

thanks boostedk20 family..
me luv you long time >no homo
Glad I could help :turbohug:

To add to speeds list I'd grab an aeromotive 340lph pump instead. It's the same size as your 255's and it flows more so no need to upgrade later depending on if you get the need for speed. Lol

Also deatchwerks makes some good injectors also. For your 300whp goal 550's would be fine BUT no since in paying 400 for 550's when you can get 1,000's for the same and again no need to upgrade.

If you aren't running a return line fuel system please add that on there. I'm not so sure it's needed for 300 hp but I'm sure you'll tune past that once it's all set to roll. If your on a factory clutch you'll need a new one. I have a competition clutch stage 4 that I'll sell you for dumb cheap. I upgraded to a twin disc so it's to be of no use to me. Anyways good luck on your build and please keep us updated.
I agree with the aeromotive 340lph I actually entirely forgot about that. And I said the 1000cc injectors for that exact reason, they're the same price and no need to upgrade in the future.
However, the return fuel line isn't necessary at all. You can push mid 400whp without needing a return, but you'll need 1000cc injectors, a fuel pump (walbro/aeromotive), and your OEM FPR 'crushed' to increase fuel pressure.

You can make it on the factory clutch if it's in good condition and you know how to properly drive, I have been boosted for 10k miles and I'm good (50k miles total on car) but it may be on the way out soon.

And adam, PM me the details on the CC stage 4 :thumb:

PetefromtheStreets
09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
You have been pm'd speed.

vdubkilla
10-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Let me start by saying ATP is top Notch and I have also dealt with evans tuning and he is a great guy with excellent service as well .Also I have had three different turbos on my car since April its a boosted eg hatch w/k20z1 the t3 3076 r is excellent , the borg 83/75 t4 ts decent , gt35r t4 ts awesome on the street .I would probably say the 3076r would be best for your goals and they friggin Rip ! If you looking for 500+ the 35r is the way to go for the street .The biggest pain in the ass with the Garretts is probably the coolant lines going to the turbo .I have used a few different hoses and heat wrapped good but they still get brittle on the ends at the turbo keep your eye on em :nervous: