PDA

View Full Version : Drag chat

PetefromtheStreets
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
I visit the track pretty frequently and I'd like to see what you guys have to say about the 1/4 mile.

Maybe some pointers on how you launch?

Or what tire pressures you run on?

What gears you do your burnouts in?

how you shift ect..

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
I've never hit the track, so I'm decently noobish in this territory. Maybe you can make a Drag Racing 101 type thread, it can be updated as time goes on. In relation to the questions you asked, tire pressures are based on the tires you're running. Most street tires perform better with their normal psi from what I've heard (~32psi) although some drop to high 20psi. Slicks, on the other hand, I've seen people run 8psi with no problem since they heat up and expand. It would be nice to hear other peoples setups though and how they do everything overall. Great thread man

PetefromtheStreets
04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Ok so this is what I do.

•My slicks 24.5x8.5R15's are inflated to 14 psi.

•I pull in the wet box and spin my tires so I know they are entirely wet.

•Then I pull just out of the wet box

•I do a secon gear burnout to ~7k until my car pulls me out.

•Prestage and 2step it 1/2 throttle then fully stage (light both bulbs)

•Then the tree will signal and once it lights the first set of bulbs I give it full throttle and slip the clutch out

•my 1st gear hook right out the box so I shift to 2nd fairly quickly

•take 2nd gear to ~8,800 the WOT shift to 3rd.

•take 3rd to ~8,800 and WOT shift to 4th.

•take 4th to the same ~8,800 and WOT shift to 5th and I finish around 5-6k in 5th.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

vdubkilla
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I pull thru the water box to get the tires wet but pull to the far end of the box so your not sitting in the water .If you sit in the box while doing your burnout you will throw water up in the fender wells and it will drip onto the tires while staging at the line .
I run 24.5 x 8.5 x 15 M & H slicks at 8 lbs
Always pre-load the drive train by pulling up on the e brake let off clutch a little til the ass end of the car squats a little then do the burn out .
I do the burnout in 2 nd gear gonna try third next time and I currently have my launch control set at 6500 rpm s .
Pull to the line as I like to stage first before my opponent .
Again pre-load the drive train .
The starting line is where many races are won I try to leave on the last yellow light but need work on my reaction times still .
I have both ridden the clutch out as well as dumped it when I rode it out I pulled 1.9 60 fts and when I dumped it I spun second gear and again 1.9 60 fts .
I have only had my current car down the track a couple of times and am currently doing upgrades that should be track ready by may 8th .
My times so far have been 11.3 @ 127 mph and an 11.4 at 131 mph .
Those times should have been better with better 60 fts .
Give me another two weeks and lets see how things go with the new set up .I dont wanna have to go 10 point roll cage and a parachute but I am pretty certain those are in my immediate future :turbohug:
By the way that when I ran that set up it was putting down 463 hp and 314 trq on 14 lbs

PetefromtheStreets
04-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Good shit man. I also pull to the far end of the wet box basically just out of it. And I also preload I just failed to mention that. Get some seat Tim and I'm sure that sucker will be in 10's where it sat. But now it's deff in the 10's lol.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

vdubkilla
04-27-2011, 11:17 PM
I use to have an ek hatch with a supercharged gsr that was a fun car .I learned how or at least got my start drag racing in that car as well as a bunch of street racing went on lol I broke a few axles a final drive but never the quaife and never hurt the engine I threw 12 + lbs at it for over two years and the motor was bone stock other than a itr exh cam .I had alot of fun but the car only netted me a 13 second 1/4 mile at 108 mph .It should have gone faster to but I was totally new to drag racing when I took that car to the track .It put down 277 hp and 206 trq .I hated to sell it but had two hatches and wanted to turbo the k series eg real bad ! I took a huge loss on the ek but have no regrets as I moved on to bigger and better things and the guy that bought the ek is very happy with it .

PetefromtheStreets
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM
That's awesome. I had a fully built sohc d16a6. Nonvtec. I made a 13.5 pass with that. Lol then I had an '94 h22a swapped 4dr accord with full bolt ons that went 14.1's. Then once I got the RSX it went from 14.2's to a 12.9 with adding the supercharger.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

vdubkilla
04-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Superchargers are fun thats for sure I surprised the shit out of alot of people with my s/c ek and alot of the turbo guys got smoked lol light to light its alot of fun .They do however run out up top and wont make the numbers a turbo will .But they sure are alot of fun .The newer stuff is putting out better numbers that the old systems use to .i just put a comptech kit on my buddies 07 si and he is getting dynod this saturday at SRT in Maryland

PetefromtheStreets
04-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes superchargers are deff alot of fun. Mine actually makes it's most power at the top rpm so mine can supply numbers close to what a turbo can. But it's just nowhere near as efficient. But still fun to surprise the hell out of ppl.

Tapatalk FTMFW!

Si Speed 317
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
We need to start a 'Drag Racing 101' thread, I'll be going to E-Town next Wednesday night and possibly tomorrow night as well. Would love some tips, and I plan to bring my friend's Go-Pro with me. I've never brought my car to the track before, so I'll be looking for ideal dampening setup for my coilovers. Also, I'll be able to run Nitto Drag Radials next week. They're my friend's and I'll be buying them from him. Any tips would be MUCH appreciated. And remember, I've never raced at a drag strip before, so the common sense things can be said as well since I may not know them.

PetefromtheStreets
07-26-2011, 10:21 PM
For starters. I dont recommend burnouts with street tires. At most go around the wet box and spin the tires to heat them just a bit. And follow steps 6 on.

1) lower tire pressures to around 20-25 psi (street tire) slicks are much lower. Around 8-12 psi.

2) pull up in the burnout box, spin wheels to wet tire

3) pull just outside the wet box.

4) put in 2nd gear and rev motor up to around 6k

5) quickly release clutch and continue to throttle the motor until you gain some traction and pull up to the tree.

6) pull forward very slowly and light the first set of staging bulbs.

7) wait for opponent to light theirs (this is called curtesy staging)

8) light up the second set of staging bulbs

9) once your opponent has lighten up both of his you go ahead and get your rpms up to where you wanna launch at.

10) when the lights start going you'll have 3 yellow lights light up then the green.

If you wait till the green lights up you'll have a horrible reaction time.

You want start slipping your clutch when the 3rd yellow Is lit.

Si Speed 317
07-27-2011, 01:20 AM
For starters. I dont recommend burnouts with street tires. At most go around the wet box and spin the tires to heat them just a bit. And follow steps 6 on.

1) lower tire pressures to around 20-25 psi (street tire) slicks are much lower. Around 8-12 psi.

2) pull up in the burnout box, spin wheels to wet tire

3) pull just outside the wet box.

4) put in 2nd gear and rev motor up to around 6k

5) quickly release clutch and continue to throttle the motor until you gain some traction and pull up to the tree.

6) pull forward very slowly and light the first set of staging bulbs.

7) wait for opponent to light theirs (this is called curtesy staging)

8) light up the second set of staging bulbs

9) once your opponent has lighten up both of his you go ahead and get your rpms up to where you wanna launch at.

10) when the lights start going you'll have 3 yellow lights light up then the green.

If you wait till the green lights up you'll have a horrible reaction time.

You want start slipping your clutch when the 3rd yellow Is lit.

Great info, thanks Adam. I don't know if I should preload my transmission/clutch because I'm still on my stock clutch and tranny, I don't want to bust anything.. yet. It seems self explanatory, I was told by JoTech (current fastest 06-11 Si in a 1/4 mile) to run 18psi in my Nitto NT555R radials, and launch at 3k rpm... I guess we'll see how that goes! Any other suggestions? Again, I know practically nothing. Also, if I do a 2nd gear burnout shouldn't I start in first? This is my DD and on my stock clutch :nervous:

Also, I read something about needing to wear pants? :wiggle:

PetefromtheStreets
07-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok sorry. I got lazy and didn't want to wrote anymore. Lol.

Pants are a yes. Tracks require you to wear pants to run your car.

Since your car is turbo'd you'll need a helmet cuz I'm positive you'll do better then a 13.9.

Also as for preloading. I don't but I do position my clutch just to where it wants to engage and then I release just after the 3rd yellow lights up.

When I do a 2nd gear burn out I don't go from 1st-2nd. I just rev high enough in 2nd to get the wheels to spin and the power does the rest.

Again I keep forgetting your on street tires.

If I were you I would:

Go around the water box

Do a small 1st gear burnout

And continue to stage.

As for Jo tech telling you 3k launch....it varies between cars and drivers. You'll just have to see what's best for you and your car AND the track.

Si Speed 317
07-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Yea, I bogged pretty bad at 3k. My first run was horrible. My radials had like 28psi, I launched at 5k and spun like a mogo, and I was too amped up. I ran a 14.9 @ 102. My second run was better, tires were at 17.5psi, launched at 3k. Ran a 14.2 @ 102. My last run was the best of the three, tires were the same and I launched at 4k. Spun a bit, but landed a 13.8 @ 103. Can't get why I didn't trap higher though... Here's my best run from last night:

vaNM8KZZJgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaNM8KZZJgE

PetefromtheStreets
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
What size are your radials? And your street tires?

Si Speed 317
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I got the radials for $20 used from a friend, they're 245/45/17 :thumb: Decent amount left on them too. Street tires are 245/40/17

PetefromtheStreets
07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I got the radials for $20 used from a friend, they're 245/45/17 :thumb: Decent amount left on them too. Street tires are 245/40/17

Ok I was just worried they were way smaller then your street tires and they were working against you but they seem to be right. My all motor mph was around 101. And I had a conservative street tune. Which just leads me to believe the turbo is just too small to produce you much more.