PDA

View Full Version : New Tensioner for K series cars!

bulliedog
01-24-2014, 01:01 PM
I asked Jose of Mercracing to make me a tensioner for me and this is what he came up with. He has been running a similar piece on his personal car for quite some time now. I had a few requests though, #1 was it had to be adjustable, #2 it had to have metal pulleys and #3 was it had to look good in my engine bay. This is what he came up with.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lshboz.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/spjhip.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2iw0cog.jpg

A CNC'd aluminum bracket with metal pulleys, removable bearings and adjustability. The adjusters are made of steal also. This will help with how adjuster bolts strip when adjusting belt tension. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. This will be a great piece for the community as well. We all know how the CT tensioner pulleys fail over time and pieces or a full replacement piece can get a bit pricey.

ksboi
01-26-2014, 08:56 AM
not bad looking

bulliedog
01-26-2014, 09:38 PM
yeah, I am very happy with it!

BoostedK20
01-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Beautiful work! MercRacing always takes it up another level! I like the black pulleys with the lime green bearings! Post installed pics when you can!

Spaz
01-28-2014, 01:09 PM
It's a great piece but it's a manual adjuster... I feel like it wouldn't do well like supercharging because of belt slippage. That belts can flex pretty good under good power. I'm surprised that's what he runs...

bulliedog
01-28-2014, 05:32 PM
It's a great piece but it's a manual adjuster... I feel like it wouldn't do well like supercharging because of belt slippage. That belts can flex pretty good under good power. I'm surprised that's what he runs...

It is actually technically a helper tensioner. It sits above your OEM auto tensioner. It routes the belt so you get more belt wrap and gives you more adjustment. This will eliminate belt slip. It actually will make your auto tensioner work in custom SC set ups like mine. Or allows you to have better pulleys then the CT tensioner comes with.

Spaz
01-29-2014, 11:17 AM
So you're using a longer belt and adding pullies?

It's a super nice piece. Any pics installed yet? :D

BoostedK20
01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
It is actually technically a helper tensioner. It sits above your OEM auto tensioner. It routes the belt so you get more belt wrap and gives you more adjustment. This will eliminate belt slip. It actually will make your auto tensioner work in custom SC set ups like mine. Or allows you to have better pulleys then the CT tensioner comes with.

So you don't slip anymore?!

bulliedog
01-29-2014, 03:39 PM
So you're using a longer belt and adding pullies?

It's a super nice piece. Any pics installed yet? :D

So you don't slip anymore?!

Should have it installed this week. I will take pics to show fitment and belt wrap. Slip should be non-existent with this tensioner. Jose runs a similar piece on his car. I wanted it to be adjustable as well. Yes, I will be running a longer belt do to the re-routing that the new pulley do to get more belt wrap around blower pulley.